advertisement

One for the Isobarik Experts

Good Evening All,

This thread isn't dead (yet) by any means just that a lot of effort/ money is going into the amplification side of things..............

Once we have 10 channels of new amplification I'll be back to playing with the Isobariks.

Regards

Richard

Good Evening All,

That's a second pair of TDL 3021/ GT01's secured finally, can't help feeling that I'm bidding against a well known purveyor of modified Isobariks.

When I can find the time I can now carry out tests with a pair of Isobariks fitted with B139's/ IMF 128/20 and the TDL's and make my own mind up which I prefer.

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All,

Well that's the second pair of TDL woofers arrived:-

JrVdItW.jpg

and also the second tranche of GIK acoustic panels:-

QKqSEYx.jpg

There are a veritable mountain of projects to be getting on with at home......

All I need is to actually be there.....

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All,

Had a somewhat successful last 24hrs in that I believe I've secured 10prs of Isobarik pattern cable sockets.

I hadn't thought to look in the direction of Linn Index's..............

Only two weeks to go before heading home now.

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All,

Well that's the second pair of TDL woofers arrived:-

JrVdItW.jpg

These Tdls look really nice, but shouldn't the magnets be vented to allow airflow from the front to the back? I believe the B139s in the briks are vented.

Following this project with great interest... Thanks.

nostromo - both pairs of TDL's are like that. As I understand it the holes in the rear of the B139 were a part of the power handling upgrade? I think that both the IMF and TDL 'racetrack' devices having a deeper chassis don't need to ventilate the pole or that they have a greater range of cone travel?

Do we have any speaker design guru's on the forum?

I'm keen to conclude the project as well along with the amplification project.......

Regards

Richard

Kef made at least two versions of the B139, but only one variant had the hole, which is the one used in Briks.

It's probably not that crucial as the drivers will be in phase... Please remember I'm no expert... Just pretending.

Might be worth checking if the new Falcon replacements have a hole.

Interesting... I know the new Falcon B139 are about 1cm deeper, and so a little heavier and harder to fit. They are certainly very nicely built (top quality). This may explain the higher Xmax, which I wasn't aware of.

I always thought the reason the Tdls were sought was due to the lack of new B139s (before Falcon got their's designed/produced). Also there were rumours the Tdls sounded better... I'm hoping you'll be able to find that out soon.

Good Afternoon All,

That's 2off more 600 x 600mm GIK panels attached to the ceiling. You can also see there are now half height Tri-Traps sitting on top of the original full height ones.

The panel to the right of the Isobarik has yet to be moved now the room has been "turned around".

eWpcp2K.jpg

We're still waiting on the joiner turning up to fit the skirting board............

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

Projects are progressing very slowly since May as work has gone crazy.

Recently acquired a pair of 'spare' Keltik woofers:-

GCOQG23.jpg

I'll just keep this in a cupboard in case I have a bad day.........

Regards

Richard

Good Afternoon All,

Got around to fitting the latest acoustic panels this morning. Had to lower the one Tri-trap in the alcove to get the half-height one in as well and secure another panel as close to the half-way point as the window allows:-

7LhDi34.jpg

and then one dead central on the front wall:-

B49cVBB.jpg

and then one panel at the mid-point on the left hand wall:-

dnzEiC9.jpg

and finally the rear wall:-

N6jAEzT.jpg

Next up is sorting out the one SE board and get back to six channels........, back to the other thread

Regards

Richard

Hate to say it Richard, but you need a good tidying up session...store away the Saras with stands in another room ideally...aaand may I be bold enough to suggest; carpet....perhaps to match the Giks.

Hate to say it Richard, but you need a good tidying up session...store away the Saras with stands in another room ideally...aaand may I be bold enough to suggest; carpet....perhaps to match the Giks.

That is tidy, certainly in comparison to the situation before the Ikea unit was moved and the panels mounted!

The Sara's will be getting moved shortly once the Isobarik experiment resumes but first I need to have 6 functional SE based amplifier channels. There is an issue of different output levels from the different boards which I need to get to the bottom of - there will be a phone call to LesW about this shortly.

We are in between projects here with 14 channels of amplification floating around - there will be a big sell-off taking place at some point.

On the subject of the Isobarik experiment these arrived in the last 48hrs:-

DyVDFUo.jpg

This will allow for several woofer replacements..............

Carpet - on top of the £2,500 of Amtico flooring let alone the UFH???????? It would look a lot better if the joiner would turn up and fit the skirting and the board over the window so we can get the curtains put up......

The tube up against the wall is some soundproofing seal for the door as suggested by Martin elsewhere - also yet to be fitted.

Regards

Richard

I've just acquired a pair of late Isobariks, non Kustone.
I've also battled through reading this thread and it seems a lot of work.

Is there any benefit to updating the drivers to the set as advertised by Falcon or should that option be considered only in the case of drive failure?

advertisement

Back