advertisement

Potential Level 4 heat warning for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday in England (i.e., you might die)

I remember driving back from Southern France in 40°C. There were warnings on the displays and broken down cars everywhere. Our Honda Prelude was spluttering when we were slowing down in heavy traffic. Mrs K90Tour told me to turn the air-con off, and put the heating on full blast. Worked a treat as we pulled the hot air out of the engine bay, the engine became a lot happier. We cooked of course. Just drank water continuously.

Smart lady you have there. This reminds me of my first car, useless heater in the winter but useful in the summer to help cool the engine. We of course cooked in the summer and froze in the winter.

that is Tory richboy level of provision

But I do not drive a Porsche! (btw I would love a 911 - but the minister of the interior would not countenance it. A 911 owning friend is arranging insurance for me to borrow his for a day later in the summer so I can get a fix)

Anyway - it is still lovely and cool in my work-from-home basement office (half of which is lounge #3). Chilled.

At the first sign of a bit of decent weather it's declared a national emergency and we're all gonna die. :(

I walked to the town this morning and went swimming by the pier. The water was calm, clear and warm(ish) . It was exhilarating.

I'm enjoying the late summer. I thought it would never come.

It's mid July. In what universe is that "late summer"?

It's mid July. In what universe is that "late summer"?
I wasn't referring to Astronomical or Meteorological Summer. What I meant was it's been unseasonably cool until now and summer, in the form of some decent warm sunny weather, seemed like it was never coming, and now it's here I'm enjoying it, even though it's a bit late. I'm off for another swim in a mo :)

At the first sign of a bit of decent weather it's declared a national emergency and we're all gonna die. :(

I walked to the town this morning and went swimming by the pier. The water was calm, clear and warm(ish) . It was exhilarating.

I'm enjoying the late summer. I thought it would never come.

This is not "a bit of decent weather".

Cobra meeting today. BBC now predicting 37 for two days in London. In full sun in central London, this could translate into 40+.

This is dangerous levels of heat for the UK. We will likely see a minor collapse of services, as trains, buses, lorries struggle to run. Staff and deliveries may not get to shops.

This is not "a bit of decent weather".

Cobra meeting today. BBC now predicting 37 for two days in London. In full sun in central London, this could translate into 40+.

This is dangerous levels of heat for the UK. We will likely see a minor collapse of services, as trains, buses, lorries struggle to run. Staff and deliveries may not get to shops.
OK, I'll get the fan out.

Hot temperatures in the UK are nothing new. The summer of 1976 saw temperatures at or above 32c for at least 2 weeks, maybe longer. I was way to young to know anything about it (6 months old!), but my parents often recall it.

The world is definitely warming up, there can be no getting away from that, but a level 4 warning for the UK is highly unlikely, perhaps in another 50 years' a temp of 40c might be reached, but I would be surprised if got there in my lifetime.

My biggest concern is how we tackle countries like Brazil where they are still actively destroying the 'lungs of the planet' for giant cattle farms etc. Just look at what happened recently to the British journalist Dom Phillips. Until this is addressed, I don't think it matters how much you do elsewhere (although this is still very important), the planet will still be on a one way trajectory!

It's a scary situation and one that I am not sure the human race is capable of rectifying. Maybe we will end up being collateral damage as Mother Nature takes back control, time will tell...

Do you really think it'll take another 50 years to reach 40C in the UK?:
unknown.png

I'll just leave that there...

The last time I was in Luxor it was 40+ everyday and everything was functioning normally. :rolleyes:

yes last time I was working in Kuwait City is was high 40s and everything worked.

But more northern locations are not designed to function in those climates. Our houses are built to keep the heat in.......

so I don't know why you are rolling eyes :rolleyes:

yes last time I was working in Kuwait City is was high 40s and everything worked.

But more northern locations are not designed to function in those climates. Our houses are built to keep the heat in.......

so I don't know why you are rolling eyes :rolleyes:

Because it's over-dramatised as is always the case in the UK. It's a couple of hot days along the same temperatures as the summer of 1976 when my dad's car continued to work, as indeed did he. My Raleigh Chopper also continued to work. Amazing!

Last edited:
I was 9 in 1976 & from memory we had much more than a couple of days of high 90's heat. A few years ago we had 6 weeks of continuing high temps & in 2007 we hit 35 in my area for days on end. It was bloody awful but we have to grin & bear it, stay inside, shut your windows & curtains & drink water. Not much else you can do.

Do you really think it'll take another 50 years to reach 40C in the UK?:
unknown.png

I'll just leave that there...

Tuesday hasn’t happened yet! :p If I’m proven to be wildly over optimistic, so be it.

I’m pretty sure the UK will have experienced 40c, it just hasn’t been recorded during our modern times and since climate data has been collected. After all, the planets been through many different cycles over the past 4 billion years so it stands to reason that it will have…

Because it's over-dramatised as is always the case in the UK. It's a couple of hot days along the same temperatures as the summer of 1976 when my dad's car contained to work, as indeed did he. My Raleigh Chopper also continued to work. Amazing!

I was actually in the UK through that summer at college in South Shields and remember it well but 1976 doesn't feature in this list of the 5 highest temperatures in the UK:-

kcqXEbj.png

That's 38.7°C hidden under the button, let's just keep pretending climate change/ global warming isn't a thing and that the fires being experienced across Europe are no worse than 1976 either and that way we can just keeping do more of the same thing and everything will be fine in the morning??

Asking for friend.

Regards

Richard

I was actually in the UK through that summer at college in South Shields and remember it well but 1976 doesn't feature in this list of the 5 highest temperatures in the UK:-

kcqXEbj.png

That's 38.7°C hidden under the button, let's just keep pretending climate change/ global warming isn't a thing and that the fires being experienced across Europe are no worse than 1976 either and that way we can just keeping do more of the same thing and everything will be fine in the morning??

Asking for friend.

Regards

Richard

Nope. The highest temperature recorded in 1976 was 35.9C in Cheltenham on July 3rd.

Nope. The highest temperature recorded in 1976 was 35.9C in Cheltenham on July 3rd.

In '76 it was hot the whole summer. Our area (Manchester) was on standpipes to help save water.
I remember it being great as we could play out every day without the typical Manchester weather spoiling the fun. :)

Nobody should get too het up over this little ripple of warm weather. On or around the 23/24th July it’s all set to change. A series of deep, moisture laden depressions will bowl in from the Atlantic, canter across Cornwall to park for the waking hours over south Devon. These will then slowly move eastwards across the country. On, or around the 6/7th August these cold fronts will dissipate and normal summer weather will prevail.

advertisement

Back