advertisement

Potential Level 4 heat warning for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday in England (i.e., you might die)

Nice cool dog walk at 7am, really very pleasant. We had a bit of rain last night which has brought the temperature down a touch, for now…

Reports of hundreds of cars breaking down in the heat.
Wonder how they work in other countries that are even hotter.

Reports of hundreds of cars breaking down in the heat.
Wonder how they work in other countries that are even hotter.
They don't.
Cars intended for tropical climates often have beefed up cooling
A problem for me as UK spec cars appear in Malaysia as recons

They work - all cars in the UK are tested to work in a variety of temperatures (-40 C to +60 fo Volvo) - it would be bad business if your product borked at 35C. Anything conking out at current temps is either mechanical failure and / or poor maintenance.

The problem with UK spec cars is AC as @davidsrsb states; UK spec cars with leather interiors and poorly serviced / not fitted AC makes for a very uncomfortable car. (Memories of sitting in an Allegro with plastic seats in summer temps. Ugh)

We went to Cambridge on the A14 yesterday afternoon. Oh how I chuckled at the four or five black cars we passed that were travelling at about 60mph, driver’s window open, probably no working air con.

We went to Cambridge on the A14 yesterday afternoon. Oh how I chuckled at the four or five black cars we passed that were travelling at about 60mph, driver’s window open, probably no working air con.
Mine is one of them, it needs a recharge and it's black. I need to get it booked in. Until then I'm doing the old arm-out trick. Getting great fuel economy at about 65 on the M1.

They don't.
Cars intended for tropical climates often have beefed up cooling
A problem for me as UK spec cars appear in Malaysia as recons
How is it beefed up? I didn’t notice anything special or larger in the air con systems on any European or Japanese cars in Saudi back in the 90s. Some were better than others, same as elsewhere, but there’s not really the space under the bonnet of cars now to squeeze in bigger heat exchangers, larger compressors etc. Perhaps on locally made cars it’s a thing.

it is great having the AC going full tilt at your face/body and driving with the roof down.

Mine is one of them, it needs a recharge and it's black. I need to get it booked in. Until then I'm doing the old arm-out trick. Getting great fuel economy at about 65 on the M1.

Being in an accident and having my right arm ripped off isn’t something I relish the thought of!

They work - all cars in the UK are tested to work in a variety of temperatures (-40 C to +60 fo Volvo) - it would be bad business if your product borked at 35C. Anything conking out at current temps is either mechanical failure and / or poor maintenance.

The problem with UK spec cars is AC as @davidsrsb states; UK spec cars with leather interiors and poorly serviced / not fitted AC makes for a very uncomfortable car. (Memories of sitting in an Allegro with plastic seats in summer temps. Ugh)

Not just cars...

http://saferoxfordstreet.blogspot.com/2020/08/stopkillingbusdrivers-boiling-bus-cabs.html?m=1

with autonomous busses on their way i assume these matters will become a thing of the past. Mind you that does not solve the immediate problem

Title updated as now Tuesday is predicted to be hottest day. Have seen forecasts up to 38. Met Office forecast for London currently predicting 34.

advertisement

Back