advertisement

Potential Level 4 heat warning for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday in England (i.e., you might die)

I find it amusing that the recent heat wave is being reported as an “emergency” whilst for the last 40 years or so the majority of brits appear to have considered that the main reason for spaffing their yearly savings on a holiday to similar climatic conditions.

When I was in Perth (jan/Feb) it was about 32 but it was lovely and quite bearable (although I was a lot younger). Dry heat there, not the humidity one finds here so often. Sydney, about the same time of year, was an entirely different scenario.

36-40 in summer, but with a sea breeze and the drier heat you don't notice it so much. Now Phoenix was a whole different ball game... dry heat but 48 is bloody warm!

I find it amusing that the recent heat wave is being reported as an “emergency” whilst for the last 40 years or so the majority of brits appear to have considered that the main reason for spaffing their yearly savings on a holiday to similar climatic conditions.

Thus helping to create the situation whereby they don't need to fly for those temperatures anymore.......:(

Regards

Richard

Certainly do. I've traded a chicken factory at 8 dev C for a bakery at 30-odd in a heatwave. I know how to pick 'em.
My father worked in the foundry at Ideal Standard. In the Sumer, it took all his strength to make it home. That's why I will never complain.

Hot temperatures in the UK are nothing new. The summer of 1976 saw temperatures at or above 32c for at least 2 weeks, maybe longer. I was way to young to know anything about it (6 months old!), but my parents often recall it.

The world is definitely warming up, there can be no getting away from that, but a level 4 warning for the UK is highly unlikely, perhaps in another 50 years' a temp of 40c might be reached, but I would be surprised if got there in my lifetime.

My biggest concern is how we tackle countries like Brazil where they are still actively destroying the 'lungs of the planet' for giant cattle farms etc. Just look at what happened recently to the British journalist Dom Phillips. Until this is addressed, I don't think it matters how much you do elsewhere (although this is still very important), the planet will still be on a one way trajectory!

It's a scary situation and one that I am not sure the human race is capable of rectifying. Maybe we will end up being collateral damage as Mother Nature takes back control, time will tell...

Hot temperatures in the UK are nothing new. The summer of 1976 saw temperatures at or above 32c for at least 2 weeks, maybe longer. I was way to young to know anything about it (6 months old!), but my parents often recall it.

The world is definitely warming up, there can be no getting away from that, but a level 4 warning for the UK is highly unlikely, perhaps in another 50 years' a temp of 40c might be reached, but I would be surprised if got there in my lifetime.

My biggest concern is how we tackle countries like Brazil where they are still actively destroying the 'lungs of the planet' for giant cattle farms etc. Just look at what happened recently to the British journalist Dom Phillips. Until this is addressed, I don't think it matters how much you do elsewhere (although this is still very important), the planet will still be on a one way trajectory!

It's a scary situation and one that I am not sure the human race is capable of rectifying. Maybe we will end up being collateral damage as Mother Nature takes back control, time will tell...
I worked full time summer on the beaches, 75-77, great times indeed. Weaver fish took their fair toll on the holiday makers as did blistering sunburn. In the end James Lovelock will be proven right and the human virus will be history.

Cambridge, 2019, recorded a temperature of 38.7. 40 is coming very soon at current rates of heating. 50 years is very optimistic.

ours is on low pretty easy to sleep with. We have one in the living room. Great things ceiling fans
10ft ceilings help. I have two 60" Panasonic 4 blade fans in my living room, not very noisy.
UK houses have low ceilings and sealed up tight for winter efficiency

That would be a great opening line for a book! o_O

Usually when I am travelling I write a very simple naive diary....literally just the events of the day and anything I think is of interest. OMG since taking up this job I have realised there is a book....a catalogue of chaos if you like. I took up the post last Sept remotely but only hit the ground running here after quarantine in Jan.

It's bananas!

Heat doesn't bother me too much, though I do take some precautions when it's extreme, ( for the UK) or on the rare occasions I'm somewhere warm abroad. The old ticker is potentially at risk in sustained high temperatures. Much as I love the booze, I avoid it in the heat of the day as it's debilitating and dehydrating and not great for maintaining electrolyte balance.
My other main tactic and advice is to stop fighting the heat. If you're already hot..getting bothered too is no help. Relax, keep movement to a minimum, stay sensibly hydrated etc.

The people I feel for are those in modern apartments with zero airflow, even with all windows open, and no chance of installing a/c. Must’ve been hell in the lockdowns.

advertisement

Back