advertisement

Potential Level 4 heat warning for Sunday/Monday/Tuesday in England (i.e., you might die)

It's going to be horribly hot. Possibly insanely hot.

Could be a red alert, meaning the fit and healthy will be at risk. :eek:

Stock up on ice lollies before Saturday. And bottled water in case of water cuts.

FXdJSllXwAASSTw
Now look, we need to get that new coal mine open in Cumbria smartish. Owen Paterson has been working flat out to bring this project to fruition, his completion bonus depends on it. Enough of this woke nonsense.

I'll be okay as I'm neither fit nor healthy.

Heading out to restock on beer. Dog already flaked out.

You could resort to hair of the dog to lessen his load. :)

Main concern is my garden and greenhouses, as our 12 butts have run out. Somehow beans are still growing by using waste water from inside and the hose, which I hate doing (wrong type of water etcetera). Heatwaves are fine as long as they culminate in lots of rain after a few days. This winter and spring has seen a dearth of any precipitation and this dry spell in the east has been going for far too long.

A load of scaremongering about the risks in those temperatures. Act like a dick and you’ll fall ill. That’s the rule for life. Do we really need ambers and reds?

I worked on Saudi Tornados in 50°c with blokes in their 60s. Drink water, slow down. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy, what are thesey? Japanesey!

I have drunk extra water today so as not to interfere with my wine intake. Used to be one was exulted when a few days of beach weather turned up. Now it’s a national emergency.

A load of scaremongering about the risks in those temperatures. Act like a dick and you’ll fall ill. That’s the rule for life. Do we really need ambers and reds?

I worked on Saudi Tornados in 50°c with blokes in their 60s. Drink water, slow down. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy, what are thesey? Japanesey!

I think there’s a real problem for the elderly and the infirm. They can die. This is a lesson from the 2003 heat wave

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave

I had some lunch today with people who work in the A and E dept of a S London hospital. It’s crazy busy for some reason, the covid regulations about isolation for health staff is making it hard for them to cope, but they can just about do it they said. However, they are all very worried about what the next few days will bring.

It's going to be horribly hot. Possibly insanely hot.

Stock up on ice lollies before Saturday. And bottled water in case of water cuts.

FXdJSllXwAASSTw

Pfft, man up. Some folks work in these conditions, never mind sitting around eating ice lollies.

Pfft, man up. Some folks work in these conditions, never mind sitting around eating ice lollies.
I lived in Phoenix Arizona for a year and then Perth in Aus. Way hotter than anything the UK is about to experience, feels like a nice temperature over the last few days to me actually :D

I have re-commissioned my old, I do mean ..very old, c 1957 8" deskfan. Found in a junk shop c.15yrs ago for £3 on the basis .. 'don't plug it in, it's not tested.' Yeah well, an insulation check, a new mains lead and new switch took care of that.

Streamline Design FTW! (mine is exactly like this , except the cable is now modern black pvc, and the body earthed. Runs a treat!)

EFC%20fan.jpg

I have re-commissioned my old, I do mean ..very old, c 1957 8" deskfan. Found in a junk shop c.15yrs ago for £3 on the basis .. 'don't plug it in, it's not tested.' Yeah well, an insulation check, a new mains lead and new switch took care of that.

Streamline Design FTW! (mine is exactly like this , except the cable is now modern black pvc, and the body earthed. Runs a treat!)

EFC%20fan.jpg

Doubles up as a veg chopper.

The blade is one piece, cut/stamped from 1/8" rubber sheet. I've acquired a sheet of 3mm neoprene to trace & cut some replacements from - the original was always pretty perished., & I think should be preserved.

& yes you can stick your fingers in it while running. It positively invites that to a blokish extent.. the result is a long way from hurt, more like a sharp rap of '.. well, obviously don't do that, you twit' rebuttal ;)

EFC%20fan.jpg
Good call. The modern equiv is this eight inch cube fan and ice water reservoir we keep for the few days a year we may get uncomfortable in the heat( in a good year) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/22449257...d=link&campid=5338728743&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Fan set up in bedroom for tonight. It will be blowing over a pan full of ice cubes that I've been making all day. Can't open the bedroom window. The insect life on Breton farmland at night have to be seen to be believed.

Fan set up in bedroom for tonight. It will be blowing over a pan full of ice cubes that I've been making all day. Can't open the bedroom window. The insect life on Breton farmland at night have to be seen to be believed.

Just put up some muslin screening surely?

advertisement

Back