advertisement

Tory Leadership Runners and Riders

ks.234

Half way to Infinity
Tugendhat on Sky talking about ‘sound money’. He seems to be calling for a return to the gold standard. Is this a good idea? How does going back to such ‘sound money’ fit with a ‘clean start’?

He’s on Sophie Ridge’s show right now playing the big soldier patriot and trying desperately not to be a transphobe without actually saying anything.

Definitely in the ‘tax-cutting Tory’ category. Has cited NI and fuel duty. These will be popular.

Given just how bonkers/evil the rest of the pack he’s probably the one Starmer needs to be most worried about.

PS The candidate currently using the name ‘Grant Shapps’ has just appeared…

Sound money is a term a lot crypto people use. Gold will be the last thing he means if that is the case.

Grant Shapps saying he’ll cut public spending, because we haven’t had enough of that already.

It's much of a muchness, ultimately, but there's a good chance that all of the leadership candidates will be somewhat worse than Boris Johnson.

By which I mean all of them will be more right wing (pro-austerity, more authoritarian) and more capable of executing their policies.

So yes, things can definitely get worse.

Just seen the Tom Hugendhat interview - a bit of a car crash really. How many times did he say ‘10 year plan’ and ‘clean start’? Seemingly unable to think on his feet, relying on sound bites instead. Rather a ‘strong and stable’ vibe.

Just seen the Tom Hugendhat interview - a bit of a car crash really. How many times did he say ‘10 year plan’ and ‘clean start’? Seemingly unable to think on his feet, relying on sound bites instead. Rather a ‘strong and stable’ vibe.

My B/S bingo card spontaniously combusted after 16 "clean starts". The candidate list is looking a complete cnut soup. This idea that taxes and public spending can be slashed as we take advantage of our "Brexit freedoms"* is just obscene fantasy. We are soooo fvcked.

* expect this to join 'clean starts' as a worthless slogan.

I have a hunch that Ben Wallace will wait until the other candidates have torn great chunks out of each other, then, at the last possible moment, throw his hat into the ring as the 'unity' candidate. His line will be 'I didn't want to take on this huge responsibility, but in the light of recent events, feel that I have no alternative but to stand for the good of the country and the party'.

Jeremy Hunt says he will appoint Esther McVey as deputy PM if he wins. The dream team?

That will hopefully damage him. She is hated by many Tories in her own constituency (I know one), absolutely detested on Merseyside where she lost her seat, and stained nationally by the vicious cruelty of her time with IDS ensuring those on benefits all starved. I can’t see her being a popular choice anywhere really. The poster definition of the term ‘snide’.

Reactions: Evo

Well there all going to be like that aren't they?

It will be Tory cliche after cliche to win their base over.

That will hopefully damage him. She is hated by many Tories in her own constituency (I know one), absolutely detested on Merseyside where she lost her seat, and stained nationally by the vicious cruelty of her time with IDS ensuring those on benefits all starved. I can’t see her being a popular choice anywhere really. The poster definition of the term ‘snide’.
In a sane world it would. However...

Just been watching the Saj. Very keen on tax cuts (not unfunded ones, he’s due to publish his plan). There’s a corp tax rise due in April from 19% to 25%. That’s a 31% increase. The Saj (and Hunt) will reduce CT to 15%.

Tax cuts won't be 'unfunded', they'll be used as an excuse to cut public services still further. It's what Tories do.
This is the fundamental point. We need MIck Lynch to come on and say “so which public cuts are you going to cut to pay for it” and when they say they won’t cut services but look at efficiency savings, has can justifiably call them a “liar”.

We’ve had efficient savings for years and years, and they look just that same as cuts. These people need to be called out for what they are; Liars

Just been watching the Saj. Very keen on tax cuts (not unfunded ones, he’s due to publish his plan). There’s a corp tax rise due in April from 19% to 25%. That’s a 31% increase. The Saj (and Hunt) will reduce CT to 15%.
Sajid Javid and Rishi Sunak have both vowed to reduce corporation tax from 25% to 15% if they become prime minister, which, by a bizarre coincidence, is exactly what their wealthy corporate donors want them to do.

advertisement

Back