advertisement

Bluetooth Boombox thingy?

topa

Sans CDPs
Looking for such a thing of horror for boating.
Anyone have one half decent that does not make you want to throw the bloody thing into the ocean after two songs?

Clean highs, a bit of body to voices and instruments, good enough for jazz breakfasts and some indie/folk in the afternoons?

It might be worth looking at the JBL speakers. I have an old Flip 3 that is used occasionally and, whilst not hifi, it’s perfectly acceptable. The Charge models are bigger and presumably go louder.

Just been through the same process, replacing my much loved KEF Muo. I ended up a B&O Play, outgoing first generation model, via their outlet shop at Bicester. I’m not a fan of the bass emphasis that these speakers usually have and you can adjust the output via an app.

Cheers BB

If you have a source eg a dap or phone the Mini Rig speakers come highly recommended. Long battery life expandable to a very good 2.1 / 2.2 system Sound will not dissapoint you even comming from say a high end audio background. British made to boot. Expensive but well worth it i use a 2.1 system of theirs in the back garden for BBQs etc sound is fantastic. https://www.audiophileon.com/news/minirig-3-review

We have JBL Clip 3 and a Charge 4. Both are excellent for their size. The Clip is a puck style unit with limited bass but fine as a much louder speaker than the phone.
The Charge happily fills a room with weightier sounds.

As mentioned by @Mongeddavid the Minirig 3 provides, IMO, a very acceptable sound. Mine is used most mornings listening to Radio 3 Breakfast and Essential Classics. As I carry it from room to room I just have a single speaker but it is loud enough for general use.

Ah, yes, spotted those too. A1 can still be bought here and there. I'll have a look. Otherwise JBL Flip seems the route to go.
Cheers all!

Another Flip owner here. Does the job. Bluetooth never fails. Sounds absolutely fine for what it is.

I tested, and immediately returned, a JBL Charge 5 last week. Quite poor u-shaped mono sound IMHO. I have an older Denon Envaya, much better, 2 tweeters so a modicum of stereo separation/soundstage and flatter frequency response. Sadly the battery fails to charge after 3 years of ownership so close to useless nowadays.

A colleague swears by his Vifa Copenhagen, but I haven't heard it.

We got a Bose (shock horror) Soundlink 2 (just a speaker) then a Roberts iStream 3 (radio, dab, speaker etc) for the motorhome. They are both ok but the Bose has more bass with the Roberts a bit more musical and pleasantly retro. To be honest, neither ever got much use.

advertisement

Back