advertisement

Courier's bearing gifts

twotone

pfm Member
Asking for a friend:)

What's the legal situation regarding misdelivered packages from couriers or the postman guys?

Scenario, multi-national delivery company delivered the wrong package but took a photo of said package in porch/safe place and left property (no one home) then sent an email saying that the parcel had been deliver and thanks so much, now eff off.

Now apparently this package is substantially worth more than the expected package (dog food) however my 'friend' has contacted the petfood supplier and advised that said courier left the wrong package which was for someone else and thier petfood hasn't been delivered so they're sending out a repeat order and thier advice regarding the misdelivered package was basically 'we don't give a shit, just dump it'.

My 'friend' also contacted the courier via thier chat window which was hopeless apparently but he did provide them with the order number of the package and also the postcode of the intended recipient however they've never responded so far despite having my 'friend's' email address and his mobile number (see above).

So can my 'friend' dump the contents of the parcel or must he wait befote a certain amount of time has elapsed before disposing of the contents?

Tony

Is the address correct but has the wrong name? If so this may be a known scam.

DV

No the address is completely different and different name ie it's an address for a person/house about a mile away, the two streets are completely different one's a road and the other one is a street, both street name and road name are entirely unrelated and different.

I've no idea how the guy managed to get the two address mixed up the addresses are not even close ie like for example Burns street and Burns road sort of thing.

I think today everything goes by postal code. It was interesting to watch the live update of a recent delivery of mine which came up on my screen when about 8 deliveries before mine. I'd see the position of the van move and then stop in the road on the map whilst a marker moved back and forth off the road delivering parcels.

Technology eh?

DV

This happens occasionally round my village and it is customary here to take the mis-delivered parcel round to the correct address at a time when most people are home, even if over a mile away on the far side of the village, and hand it over personally having confirmed the name. Your friend might find that his dog food had arrived at the other address and benefit accordingly. Exactly that happened to my son when he was still at home and he finished up with two pairs of shoes when he had only ordered one.

John

No the address is completely different and different name ie it's an address for a person/house about a mile away, the two streets are completely different one's a road and the other one is a street, both street name and road name are entirely unrelated and different.

I've no idea how the guy managed to get the two address mixed up the addresses are not even close ie like for example Burns street and Burns road sort of thing.
One expect the proper recipient would contact the retailer about the non-delivery (it is his/her problem) but if you have transport, why not just take it to the correct address if it is so close.

I would not be inclined to dump it in case the courier tries to recover it.

Amusingly, I once answered the door to a police officer, who said 'Is Joe in?'. I said 'Yes, that's me'. He looked a bit puzzled, and said, 'You're not from Bolivia, are you?' I assured him that I wasn't. He looked at his notebook, and said 'This is number nine, isn't it?'. I agreed that it was. 'Number nine [name of road deleted]'? 'No, this is [name of road deleted]. The road you want is round the corner.'

He then realised that he'd been standing right in front of our road sign, apologised profusely, and went off to find Bolivian Joe.

If the correct address is only a mile away, why not pop it round to the rightful owner?

Well I could but I'm missing about £75 worth of dog food and there's no gaurantee that the person who the stuff was for has my dog food plus no doubt they'll have chased up thier supplier for thier missing package too so it's a bit of a 'f u ck' up from the courier I'd much rather the courier sort out this 'mistake' rather than me or the other person chasing round trying to deliver someone else's package which will no doubt end up with both of us being delivered another order each.

The other thing is that the driver should have left a card informing where the delivery was left with his contact details on the card and so I could have contacted him up to 9pm last night but no card left, the courier obviously doesn't care and neither does my supplier so why should I take resonsability? The other person will obviously recieve another package as will I only both of us will be a bit inconvienced having to wait, my dog's actually out of dog food now I'll have to go and buy some for him until the order is re-sent and delivered and if my dog food is at the other person's house then they could easily drop it off to me but they've not bothered so why should I bother with them plus I've absolutely no idea if our stuff is at thier address.

A shambles.

BTW the courier was Yodel.

Well I could but I'm missing about £75 worth of dog food and there's no gaurantee that the person who the stuff was for has my dog food plus no doubt they'll have chased up thier supplier for thier missing package too so it's a bit of a 'f u ck' up from the courier I'd much rather the courier sort out this 'mistake' rather than me or the other person chasing round trying to deliver someone else's package which will no doubt end up with both of us being delivered another order each.
So because you have not received your delivery you can't be arsed to help someone else. Jeez.

So because you have not received your delivery you can't be arsed to help someone else. Jeez.

Not really as simple as that is it?

You know something I've had enough of your shit in the past I'm now sticking you on ignore.

The other thing is that the driver should have left a card informing where the delivery was left with his contact details on the card and so I could have contacted him up to 9pm last night but no card left, the courier obviously doesn't care and neither does my supplier so why should I take resonsability? The other person will obviously recieve another package as will I only both of us will be a bit inconvienced having to wait, my dog's actually out of dog food now I'll have to go and buy some for him until the order is re-sent and delivered and if my dog food is at the other person's house then they could easily drop it off to me but they've not bothered so why should I bother with them plus I've absolutely no idea if our stuff is at thier address.

A shambles.

BTW the courier was Yodel.

There is no guarantee that the other person has your dog food of course. Actually your contract is with the dog food company and it is their responsibility to ensure a successful delivery. They have fulfilled their part by resending you dog food at their cost although you have not received it yet.

How you treat the misdelivered package is up to you really. If you don't want to redeliver, I would hang onto it for a few days or a week in case they try to collect and deliver depending on the cost of the item and any potential insurance claim the other vendor might make on them.

Well it seems your friend has done at least enough to sit tight and wait for the Pedigree Chum with a clear conscience. It’s not his responsibility to sort out the other person’s mis-delivery though it might be neighbourly to pop round to the other nearby address….. up to your friend, it could prove fruitless or possibly more of a complication in the end.

There is no guarantee that the other person has your dog food of course. Actually your contract is with the dog food company and it is their responsibility to ensure a successful delivery. They have fulfilled their part by resending you dog food at their cost although you have not received it yet.

How you treat the misdelivered package is up to you really. If you don't want to redeliver, I would hang onto it for a few days or a week in case they try to collect and deliver depending on the cost of the item and any potential insurance claim the other vendor might make on them.

Thanks for a reasonable and non-judgemental bit of advice.

Last edited:
Your friend for whom you are asking this question may want better Karma than you. Why don't you suggest to him that he gives correctly delivering the mis-directed parcel a try. Maybe it'll help dispel the bitterness caused by an underpaid and overworked Yodel courier.

Well it seems your friend has done at least enough to sit tight and wait for the Pedigree Chum with a clear conscience. It’s not his responsibility to sort out the other person’s mis-delivery though it might be neighbourly to pop round to the other nearby address….. up to your friend, it could prove fruitless or possibly more of a complication in the end.

Thanks, yes exactly, it’s not up to me to go round sorting out courier’s eff ups and as I said above the other person either doesn’t have my stuff or doesn’t give a shit about it otherwise they would have probably made contact by now given by that what they have ordered and not had delivered and as you say I could end up complicating things.

As usual with PFM people tend to go off on something that has nothing to do with the OP I only asked for the legal situation regarding a courier leaving the wrong package not for some clown to judge me after all the courier and my supplier don’t give a shit about what’s been delivered here.

Our local Facebook page is quite usefully used for re-uniting mis-delivered parcels in my small town. Local Facebook pages are quite good for sleuthing down some locations of the mysterious pictures of a random doorstep or bin store where an errant parcel has been placed.

Happened to me, bought super duper cycling jersey, Rapha Tourmalet special edition,
Hermes delivered it to wrong close round the corner, when I eventually contacted them,
they mailed back showing a photo of it from another door with different mat,
much tooing and froing with promises of looking into it and retrieving my parcel,
no joy, I eventually gave up, £55.00 bargain down the drain. :mad:

advertisement

Back