advertisement

Whisky II

Looks like I won The Whisky Exchange ballot for the new Yamazakis, but my bank declined the damn transaction on my credit card. How bloody irritating!

Looks like I won The Whisky Exchange ballot for the new Yamazakis, but my bank declined the damn transaction on my credit card. How bloody irritating!
Not sure which bottle that was for, but I see the (sold out) 12 yo bottled at 43% selling at £135 on MoM? Guess it's a decent investment but as a drinker is it really good enough to justify that price tag?

Not sure which bottle that was for, but I see the (sold out) 12 yo bottled at 43% selling at £135 on MoM? Guess it's a decent investment but as a drinker is it really good enough to justify that price tag?
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/66258/yamazaki-tsukuriwake-cask-collection-2022-set-of-4-bottles
Not sure many will be drunk - instant return of £2-£3k I hear.
Also these:
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/66298/yamazaki-mizunara-2022-edition
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/66301/yamazaki-peated-malt-2022-edition

I entered the ballot for all of them. My credit card was declined at 2am this morning for the four bottle set. I wouldn’t pay £135 for the Yamazaki 12, the Hakushu I might possibly shell out for as it’s an amazing dram.

And the Yamazaki 18 is probably in my all time top five whiskies but it’s now going for around £900 at auction. I picked up a bottle at Edinburgh airport for £50 about ten years back.

Couple of (hopefully) interesting bottles arrived today. A rum blend bought on a whim because it's a Samaroli bottling and this was by far the cheapest way in! Gotta love the tasting notes "....On the palate it alternates as the winds and strings of an orchestra alternate..... On the palate spicy and marine tones, so sustained that it seems to take a walk in a forest from Mediterranean bush...All punctuated in an overwhelming rhythm like the repeating of the notes between the piano and the brass of an old-time Boca orchestra."

And a £20 blended Scotch from Adelphi. Again, bought on a whim because Charlie Maclean seemed to be drinking it at home in a interview, and well, if it's good enough for Charlie..Tasting notes mention 'distant peat fires' - @hifilover1979 one for the cheapo decanter?

Oh, I did manage to sample my new Campbeltown collection last week. Kilkerran 12, good, but not blown away...will see if it opens up after the neck pour. Longrow, delicious, subtle peat, one to linger over. And the Springbank 10...would love to say it's good but really not worth all the fuss, but, dammit, of course it is!

https://postimages.org/][/url]

https://postimages.org/][/url]

Wee Beastie landed with me yesterday

Had a few small drams last night but the sinusitis is properly parked, so my smell & taste is limited

Isn't as hot as I was expecting, more so at 47%; but a great tasting dram nonetheless...

Will report back later once I can smell/taste better etc

Haven't read the whole thread but anyone here tried/have thoughts on Macallan? They are kindly ploughing me full of their products this afternoon and I would like to know what I'm in for.

Haven't read the whole thread but anyone here tried/have thoughts on Macallan? They are kindly ploughing me full of their products this afternoon and I would like to know what I'm in for.
It's a luxury brand.
If it's free you're laughing.
If you are paying it's overpriced, but then the market seems to be lapping it up.
"The distillery produces a number of expressions in its core Sherry Oak series, the most generally available being the 12-year-old, although the 18-year-old is widely distributed, alongside a 10-year-old cask strength expression at 58% ABV; expensive 25, 30 and 40-year-old versions can also be found.

In 2004, The Macallan started to offer single malt expressions vatted with whisky matured in used casks other than ex-sherry casks as part of the Fine Oak range. Macallan also markets special scotches in duty-free shops at airports such as the 1824 Collection and the Quest Collection.

Many rare, special releases and other small production run bottlings also exist."

It's a luxury brand.
If it's free you're laughing.
If you are paying it's overpriced, but then the market seems to be lapping it up.
"The distillery produces a number of expressions in its core Sherry Oak series, the most generally available being the 12-year-old, although the 18-year-old is widely distributed, alongside a 10-year-old cask strength expression at 58% ABV; expensive 25, 30 and 40-year-old versions can also be found.

In 2004, The Macallan started to offer single malt expressions vatted with whisky matured in used casks other than ex-sherry casks as part of the Fine Oak range. Macallan also markets special scotches in duty-free shops at airports such as the 1824 Collection and the Quest Collection.

Many rare, special releases and other small production run bottlings also exist."

Thanks Weekender, that's very useful. It's all free - 2 hours of tasting one-on-one with one of their representatives.

Excellent whisky, sherry matured in the finest casks from Jerez. But it has become exceptionally overpriced. The 18 YO used to be around £70 but it’s now well north of £300 (and that’s if you can get your hands on it). There is equally good sherry cask whisky available much cheaper (eg. Glenfarclas). As WE says, it’s one of those brands, like Johnnie Walker Blue Label, that has become associated with luxury, therefore desirable as a status symbol. But if it’s free, then wire in and enjoy.

advertisement

Back