advertisement

Rega p6 upgrades

Allaboutmusic

pfm Member
Has anyone listened to the Apheta 3 cartridge on a P6? Or a Hana ML?

currently have an Exact which is very good, presumably either of those MC carts would be a substantial upgrade?

Also was curious if Arm upgrades are worthwhile?

Reason I am asking is that I am considering moving to an lp12 in the new year, I would otherwise upgrade to a P8 but I’m not particularly keen on the looks of the P8, so weighing up sticking with my P6 and trying to get the best out of it. If I do change to an lp12 could take the cart and arm to the lp12 anyway (at least presumably I can take the arm).

thanks

You could better the performance of the deck with an RB880 and a new cart. Will it be RP8 or P8 quality? No, but if you like the look of the deck over the higher tier models (understandable) it could be worthwhile, considering you can get a few quid for your RB330.

It's a personal decision if this represent value for you vs alternatives.

Have you thought about a nice s/h RP8? All the sonics of a P8 in a more traditional look
Thanks, do you think that would be much of an improvement over a P6 particularly if I changed the arm on the P6 to the one on the P8? Although this would be a cheaper path tbf.

Probably not if it's got the neo power supply and 880. Comes down to economics I guess, I've got an original RP8 with apheta 3

If I can offer my humble opinion, the P8 looks a lot better in the flesh than pictured. It also looks solid and a lovely piece of engineering, whereas the RP8 looks cheap and nasty next to it (I own both). I would go as far as saying the P8/P10 are as good-looking as the beauty that was the P9...

If I can offer my humble opinion, the P8 looks a lot better in the flesh than pictured. It also looks solid and a lovely piece of engineering, whereas the RP8 looks cheap and nasty next to it (I own both). I would go as far as saying the P8/P10 are as good-looking as the beauty that was the P9...
Fair point, will defo approach it open minded when I demo new carts. What I would like to demo is as follows:

P6 exact (what I have but use as a baseline at dealers)

P6 apheta 3

P6 hana ml

P6 Ania pro

then compare favourite combo on P8.

will be interesting to hear the differences.

question, how much of a difference does the tone arm make if going from a (presumably) good RB330 to RB880?
Thanks

Thanks, do you think that would be much of an improvement over a P6 particularly if I changed the arm on the P6 to the one on the P8? Although this would be a cheaper path tbf.

Honestly I don't know, at this level differences are subtle and very personal, I have had the P8 in the past and it was the best turntable ever had, definitely better than the Linn LP12 I have had in the past (Pre-Cirkus + Lingo 1 + Ittok + Troika).
I've had the Hana EH and it didn't freak me out, while my Apheta 1 was sublime and much better than the standard Ania.
Another excellent turntable in my opinion, if you like its aesthetics, is the Well Tempered Simplex.

Honestly I don't know, at this level differences are subtle and very personal, I have had the P8 in the past and it was the best turntable ever had, definitely better than the Linn LP12 I have had in the past (Pre-Cirkus + Lingo 1 + Ittok + Troika).
I've had the Hana EH and it didn't freak me out, while my Apheta 1 was sublime and much better than the standard Ania.
Another excellent turntable in my opinion, if you like its aesthetics, is the Well Tempered Simplex.
What are you using now?

I have a Hana ML on a P6. When I first purchased the P6 I had a Dynavector XX2, so about the same $. Both are probably a bit over spec'ed for the P6 but I like both.

I prefer the Hana slightly over the Dynavector. The Hana is more open up top and the Dynavector has a bit more low mid punch. I will still get the Dynavector retipped for when I get too many hours on the Hana.

P6/Exact is a sweet (pun not intended) spot in the line up. With Tancast plinth, double brace, hand matched Neo PSU and Reference EBLT drive belt it may be on a par or even better than the old P9 (p9?).

Rega aren't dogmatic about source first (my experience though in moving to a P9 from a Planar25 really did have the Exact singing) and Rega list the Ania, Ania Pro and Apheta3 as suitable for the P6.

Maybe a P10/Exact for purists :cool:

So I went to the Hifi store for just a quick demo of the P8 in passing, it had dynvector cart so not the apheta or exact. It was in no way a proper demo as I didn’t baseline with a P6 exact. However it did sound really good and visually the P8 is much nicer in the flesh, a really nice bit of engineering. So proper demo pending likely will go for the P8.

will be interested to compare exact vs apheta, would save me a bit of cash on the cart plus I wouldn’t need to buy the MC board for my amp. However you get a pretty decent saving on the apheta when you buy as a package with the TT, so if I was ever to do it would be better to do it at that point rather than waiting till my Exact is knackered.

IMHO the money you will spend on an arm and cartridge upgrades will produce better results if it is spent on a better phonostage. It will help you to hear your currents kit more closer to its full potential.

IMHO the money you will spend on an arm and cartridge upgrades will produce better results if it is spent on a better phonostage. It will help you to hear your currents kit more closer to its full potential.

Not sure if that makes sense for the P6, maybe the P8. The phono card I am currently using with my amp is the one exposure used in their now superseded reference phono stage so I would say it’s probably on a par (some might say beyond) with the rega aria which many would recommend with both the P6 and P8… so in that respect changing TT I would think would bring the most gains, possibly not cart but need to hear for myself.

I upgraded my P6 Ania to the Apheta 3. Highly recommended. I had heard the P6 could handle any great cartridge. The Apheta 3 is as neutral as I can imagine, but smooth and detailed. Formerly had a P3 24/Exact with groovtracer upgrades. Can't say I disliked any of my rega products. My equipment is a Bob's devices SUT/CJ PV12 for phono preamp only. LTA Mz3 for line stage and MC225 for amp.

advertisement

Back