advertisement

Whisky II

Bummer....fingers crossed it's brief. I recommend daily practise - consider it physio for the senses.

I'm sure there must be something in this site's AUP to deal with that kind of talk...

Haha :D

I've really enjoyed the Longrow. Wish I'd picked up 2 bottles TBH.

Still half left but it won't last long

The SB10 for me doesn't do it unfortunately. The 15 is a whole different story

Glad the Longrow is hitting the spot! Obviously there's batch variation with the SB, so hard to nail the profile, and prior to this 10 I've only had one each of a 10 and a 15 yo.

I actually preferred the 10. From memory, there was a certain note on the finish (menthol?) that I found slightly off putting in the 15. However, I'm quite willing to accept that is a reflection of my unrefined palate rather than the intrinsic quality of the whisky. It's all a (thoroughly enjoyable) learning process..

Bummer....fingers crossed it's brief. I recommend daily practise - consider it physio for the senses...
Spoken in jest, I know, but Covid sufferers who lose their sense of smell have been advised to ‘re train’ it. I lost mine for a few months, some smells didn’t return for >8 months and I’m not certain everything is back to how it was, even 2 years afterwards. But actively smelling my food, and drink (coffee, wine, beer) when consuming it, did seem to help.

I'm actively sniffing.
Soap smells like...base soap. No scent.
Freshly ground coffee smells like...cheap coffee.
Islay malt smells like pure alcohol. No smoke or band-aids etc.
But at least soap doesn't smell like coffee...
I did get some weird phantom smells later on, too. Days when everything smelt like smoke, like a neighbour had a lit bonfire; or days when it smelt like I’d got some petrol on my clothes and it tainted everything. Smell is an odd sense.

I'm actively sniffing.
Soap smells like...base soap. No scent.
Freshly ground coffee smells like...cheap coffee.
Islay malt smells like pure alcohol. No smoke or band-aids etc.
But at least soap doesn't smell like coffee...
I'm similar in that my sense of smell is more diminished rather than drastically wrong.

I’m off to Islay next week for my 40th birthday, visiting Bruichladdich, Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg distilleries while I’m there.

I’d like to pick up a bottle that’s a bit more special than anything I’d usually buy as a birthday present to myself, say up to £150 but some flex if need be. I’m a big fan of peaty whiskies (hence visiting Islay), but do love a classic laddie so it doesn’t have to be.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

That price point is off my radar, but don’t think that you can’t get some damn fine whiskies for much less. I’d immerse yourself in the experience, talk to the distilleries, £150 could get a sublime whisky or a huge disappointment, and it’s your palate that counts.

I’m off to Islay next week for my 40th birthday, visiting Bruichladdich, Laphroaig, Lagavulin and Ardbeg distilleries while I’m there.

I’d like to pick up a bottle that’s a bit more special than anything I’d usually buy as a birthday present to myself, say up to £150 but some flex if need be. I’m a big fan of peaty whiskies (hence visiting Islay), but do love a classic laddie so it doesn’t have to be.

Any recommendations? Thanks!

Bruichladdich will have a couple of casks on tap to bottle up yourself and take away; if you like samples on offer. One Bruichladdiich, one Port Charlotte, I loved both and the pair would be just over £150. Only available on site so a unique memento.

If you are at Bruichladdich you have no excuse for not also taking in Kilchoman, just down the road. Try both their Madeira finish, which I love, and the Mezcal that is fascinating but that I’m undecided on. Both distillery only bottling.

When you finish at Kilchoman turn left, even 10 mins at Machir Bay is worth it.

Thanks, both. I love the idea of bottling straight from the cask!

I can’t make a tour of kilchoman work with my itinerary, is it still worth popping by anyway? We’re staying a 5 minute walk from the bruichladdich distillery so should be pretty easy to get to. That beach looks incredible!

Thanks, both. I love the idea of bottling straight from the cask!

I can’t make a tour of kilchoman work with my itinerary, is it still worth popping by anyway? We’re staying a 5 minute walk from the bruichladdich distillery so should be pretty easy to get to. That beach looks incredible!

You don’t need a tour at Kilchoman they will offer you samples without one. The visitor facilities are the best on Islay.

If you are going to the beach remember to use the toilets at Kilchoman before setting out. For the amazing rocky bit turn left when you get to the beach and keep walking.

Kilchoman definitely worth a visit, as is Machir Bay. The restaurant at Kilchoman is well worth having lunch if you can.

If I may disagree on the best visitor facilities, the Ardnahoe visitor centre is stunning. Don’t think they have any of their own malts yet as they are too young, but when we were last there they had some interesting bottling from Caol Ila and some independents at decent prices.

Kilchoman definitely worth a visit, as is Machir Bay. The restaurant at Kilchoman is well worth having lunch if you can.

If I may disagree on the best visitor facilities, the Ardnahoe visitor centre is stunning. Don’t think they have any of their own malts yet as they are too young, but when we were last there they had some interesting bottling from Caol Ila and some independents at decent prices.

Happy to stand corrected on Ardnahoe it is only open Tuesday to Saturday and we could not fit it in last week. Great visitor facilities seem to be a feature of new distilleries. The new one at Lagg on Arran is amazing too.

Twatting sinusitis has caught hold of me again, had a few Longrow last night but could hardly taste it... So it may have to be the SMWS Industrial Chimney Soot whisky tonight...

I need more every day drinking peated whisky, so recommendations please that aren't the usual suspects (Ardbeg, Springbank, Kilkerran/Longrow, Port Charlotte etc)

Cheers - already in one of my decanters ;)

Just to update I've gone for a bottle of Wee Beastie; only tried it once and can't remember much, so took the plunge...

My Kilchoman is dead too; may get another as found it to be a superb dram for £45 on Amazon currently:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HTPVZKK/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Twatting sinusitis has caught hold of me again, had a few Longrow last night but could hardly taste it... So it may have to be the SMWS Industrial Chimney Soot whisky tonight...

I need more every day drinking peated whisky, so recommendations please that aren't the usual suspects (Ardbeg, Springbank, Kilkerran/Longrow, Port Charlotte etc)
How about going completely off piste with some
Mezcal? My son bought me some and it is interesting stuff. Note this is only a 50cl bottle.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My dog enjoyed his visits to Kilchoman and to Machir Bay:

171938879.BjoaONo3.i2_08.jpg

171938881.DEyedQ8l.i2_10.jpg

advertisement

Back