advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Meridian DSP5200HC centre speaker, primarily for film but works surprisingly well with radio and cd!! Who would have guessed?

ok so just changed amps and gone back to an integrated. Now have New Audio Frontiers 845 SE Signature. Will i upgrade the TAD 845 Tubes to KR or Elrog..ill see but am enjoying the TAD 845's

Further fiddling with me Volvere. Curious to hear how much of the deck as opposed to the cartridge I was hearing since both were new to me, only common factor being the arm. I described the TT and ART-9xa as being pacey and well resolved with nice transients.
I swapped the cart over for my long serving but multiply rebuilt Grasshopper IV GLA:

found a centre spirit level in my box which confirmed the deck was indeed level- very easy to adjust and get the bounce even cf an Orbe,

MJ2HGDA.jpg

The ‘hopper in action. Well, the signature of the deck came through again but with a more natural, lifelike presentation from the cartridge, bigger soundstage, depth as well and a beautiful rendering of small musical detail and timbre.

CVcL7xO.jpg

the ART-9xa looks beautiful but this gnarly old tractor trailer sounds beautiful

vvuWkam.jpg

Last edited:
Bought HiFiman edition xs last week, very noticeable imbalance between ear ups so sent back for exchange (Amazon) , the replacement set had audible distortion and a tsk….tsk sound from one ear cup so got a refund. Bloody crap QC.

Not new as such but my r200 bias adjustment belt bit the dust after 40 years. As my wife has taken over the man cave for herself I'm now allowed a 2nd deck in my main system to shut me up (if that's possible). I've fitted a new (to me) RB600, 24 V motor upgrade kit, TT psu and a reference belt is arriving later in the week. Well you can't let a good smoked dust cover go to waste after all ;) It also has a new DL110 that I've just started to set up. It's running into the MM input of my P75 mk3 for now. Happy days - now I can play things that I can't cue up left handed on my WT (singles and individual tracks) to the left or any less good vinyl. Happy days :):):)

Purchased a used Headamp GS-X mini with 24 step attenuator. Unfortunately condition was misrepresented by seller as numerous blemishes on unit so went back. Had it for a day and very impressed with sound with my HD6XX. Beautiful build quality but runs hot as a firecracker.

A mint LTA microZOTL MZ2 came up and jumped on it as always was intrigued by David Berning designs. Much preferred with Grado GH4's which delivers a sound that is difficult to describe other than natural. Have also used briefly as preamp with Belles Aria with good results. Toying with idea to get the upgraded LTA LPS+ power supply but my headphone use would have to increase to justify.

Picked up a pair of Triangle Genese Trios also and they have been a complete homerun. The reviews totally nail the sound of this speaker as is most definitely coloured (warm) and not the most transparent but you get past that in seconds and just enjoy the sound. Have never listened to so much music and all genres since they've arrived. Don't appear overly sensitive to amplifiers but really gelled with the Belles Aria. Have them on 28"Skylan stands made for P3s and sound just great. Thought they looked a bit gawdy in the pictures and videos but are real lookers in real life. Came much better packaged than any speaker I've owned to date. They are proof that the "Perfect is the enemy of the good." as wanting a bit more resolution would take me down the audiophile rabbit hole. The Trios are likely the most enjoyable component I've owned. Time will tell if I'll leave well enough alone.

Further fiddling with me Volvere. Curious to hear how much of the deck as opposed to the cartridge I was hearing since both were new to me, only common factor being the arm. I described the TT and ART-9xa as being pacey and well resolved with nice transients.
I swapped the cart over for my long serving but multiply rebuilt Grasshopper IV GLA:

found a centre spirit level in my box which confirmed the deck was indeed level- very easy to adjust and get the bounce even cf an Orbe,

MJ2HGDA.jpg

The ‘hopper in action. Well, the signature of the deck came through again but with a more natural, lifelike presentation from the cartridge, bigger soundstage, depth as well and a beautiful rendering of small musical detail and timbre.

CVcL7xO.jpg

the ART-9xa looks beautiful but this gnarly old tractor trailer sounds beautiful

vvuWkam.jpg

Nice. Are you a product photographer?

Audiolab DC Blocker to partner with Croft Integrated Phono
Always wanted to hear one and find out what the fuss was about. A mint and relative new unit came for sale in my area and I had to jump at the opportunity.
Very glad I did.

ok so latest addition now is KLEI Absolute Harmony RCA plugs. Have to say very impressed with these RCA's after considering a few choices def think got right one.

I have ordered an AT-VM95ml.
It arrived over a week ago. You'd think I'd be excited to plug it into the system & revel in glorious music reproduction - but wait! I'm just not through with the AT3600L that I've had in as an interim cartridge, not yet. This unassuming thing fitted to dozens of turntable brands as an OEM makes seriously enjoyable music. :)

Installed yesterday:
Chord Signature XLR to replace Cardas Golden Reference between phono stage and pre

Chord Signature tonearm lead to replace the SME/vDH one supplied with the SME V

I chose the Signature after comparing a 1m XLR pair to 1m sets of Nordost Frey 2 and Tyr 2. A little cheaper than the Frey 2 here, in France, and very close to the Tyr 2 in performance. CAVEAT: my ears, my money :)

Postponed for ten days or so:
AT 33PTG/II since the one supplied was faulty. I feel for my dealer who came out to install what turned out to be a defective fresh out of the box item. He double-checked that it was the cart by using the shop DV20 dam cart.

advertisement

Back