advertisement

Great Albums with one (really) naff track

Embarrassed to say that I haven’t got Four Sail and can’t remember what it sounds like.
Great album, massively underrated, the opening track August descends into one of the most sloppily-deranged guitar wig-outs I've ever heard, another track Robert Montgomery is basically a revved-up rework of Eleanor Rigby, plus several top-notch Californian soft-rock numbers given a bit of an edge by more biting lead guitar work. Just the one song mentioned previously which doesn't sit well with the rest of the album IMHO.

I was going to nominate Equator from Sparks' Kimono My House, but humming it to myself I'm quite liking it now, and it has become an earworm.
I love Equator! The premise is completely bonkers and Ron plays sax on a mellotron. That’s good enough for me. If I had to choose an odd one out on KMH I’d go for Complaints. Looking at the track listing it’s the only one I couldn’t hum to you.

I’d say KMH is one of the very few albums with absolutely no fillers or even a trace of naffness.
Yes, the first side in particular is staggeringly good from start to finish. Such wonderful lyrics* - and (original vinyl more than CD, he grumbled) a great thunderous bass album. I can never resist playing air bass to Thank God It’s Not Christmas.

*Dear, do you often think of me
As you overlook the sea?
Do I qualify as dearly departed
Or am I ‘that sucker in the sky’?

Brilliant.

"We'd like to make the album just under two minutes longer. Do you have anything we might be able to use? Ideally it should be a completely different band in a completely different style recorded years earlier with a cheesy crooner. How about an outtake from that Christmas compilation we did? That would be perfect..."
This is what came immediately to my mind too. Couldn't remember the name of the track but I remember the godawful crooning. Was it supposed to be a joke?

Much prefer The Band, though I like both British Folk(Rock) and Americana. Can’t think of a naff track on any Band album myself though they did have a bit of a naff member depending on whose story you believe.
They didn’t do many albums, I’d be perfectly happy to never hear ‘Rag mamma rag’ ever again. I do like ‘songs from big pink’ though.

This is what came immediately to my mind too. Couldn't remember the name of the track but I remember the godawful crooning. Was it supposed to be a joke?
Sorcerer was one of the first jazz albums I ever bought. I just sort of accepted Nothing Like You as part of the jazz deal. But, yeah.

This one is so bad I can't even remember the correct title - it is the Floyd track on Ummagumma about "Several Species of Small Furry Animals and Grooving with a Pict"

I realise that only the live album was a true PF "collective effort" and the other tracks were individual compositions, it is still below par though.

Kawumba, and a fweeeeee indeed

This one is so bad I can't even remember the correct title - it is the Floyd track on Ummagumma about "Several Species of Small Furry Animals and Grooving with a Pict"

I realise that only the live album was a true PF "collective effort" and the other tracks were individual compositions, it is still below par though.

Kawumba, and a fweeeeee indeed
It was of its time; its daft but it has a certain charm.

Steeleye Spans' 'Now We Are Six' could be improved by dropping 'To Know Him Is To Love Him', even though it has Bowie on sax.

advertisement

Back