advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where you put it is more important than the wine rack itself.

Of course but as with HiFi racks, the choice is vast. I don’t have a temperature controlled cellar but then I don’t collect wine, it wouldn’t be around long enough. I buy stuff I like and drink it!

Good stuff, the pink Pallieres. I wish I could flog it at £9.50, but it might involve a sustained campaign of Chancellor of the Exchequer assassinations, and I've become rather squeamish as I've got older.

Now which album, which track. I've just had a quick listen to something random and it reminded me of Weather Report.

Go for it, I say. Why stop with the Chancellor? Take care of the lot of ’em.

The album is this one

NS5qcGVn.jpeg

and as I had no idea of the track names I’ve listened again all the way through and discovered (a) it is called Hangdog and (b) the abrupt transition into a different style is also into a different track, so it may or may not have been performed like that in real time!

Joey Baron is amazing. He seems to be on just about every record I buy nowadays.

A use at last for all those gantries they keep putting over the motorways, perhaps?

I'll look up the album, merci.

Looking for a wine rack, up to about 2m high and 80cm wide, probably metal. Loads online but any recommendations from the cognoscenti?

i am no expert, i buy to drink and have no interest in collecting or storing long term

I bought a range of wine crates from here https://www.woodenboxuk.com/en-us/wine-boxes-and-crates/wine-crates/ stacked them on their sides, and fill the gap (under my desk). It is not an ideal space, but in this space limited house - it is all we have.

20220629-120034.jpg

You'll note prices on some of the labels - my wife likes to choose by price. There are some whites and rose's in the adjacent fridge. Note the stickers - allows us to ID red/white/rose from a distance - makes sense to us.

52182624008_1fd8c5207d_z.jpg

I had to choose one of these as a birthday bash bottle, for sentimental reasons amongst others. Short version - some thirty years ago I pitched up on Gaston Huet’s doorstep (house shown on label) without appointment, and said I would like to buy some wine. In the following hour I had the greatest epiphany of my wine-drinking life. And this bottle, along with its sisters, was boxed up and handed to me with a smile by Gaston himself. That makes me swallow hard and go moist-eyed when I think about it.

It’s utterly, utterly wonderful. Words fail me, really. Lusciously sweet but still with a little Chenin acidity that stops any chance of it being cloying. The taste seems to linger forever. Just great. And yes, it really is that colour!

Tonight this was paired with a selection of blue cheeses and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, which seemed to work. I will go to bed a happy old man.

I had to choose one of these as a birthday bash bottle, for sentimental reasons amongst others. Short version - some thirty years ago I pitched up on Gaston Huet’s doorstep (house shown on label) without appointment, and said I would like to buy some wine. In the following hour I had the greatest epiphany of my wine-drinking life. And this bottle, along with its sisters, was boxed up and handed to me with a smile by Gaston himself. That makes me swallow hard and go moist-eyed when I think about it.

It’s utterly, utterly wonderful. Words fail me, really. Lusciously sweet but still with a little Chenin acidity that stops any chance of it being cloying. The taste seems to linger forever. Just great. And yes, it really is that colour!

Tonight this was paired with a selection of blue cheeses and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, which seemed to work. I will go to bed a happy old man.

I do so envy you that meeting, and the bottle.

32yr old wine amazing colour.Happy Biirthday lots more good listening and good wine.

Last edited:
Looking for a wine rack, up to about 2m high and 80cm wide, probably metal. Loads online but any recommendations from the cognoscenti?
I get mine - the label shredding ones - from this lot. I like the option of being able to get them in a size that fits the bins in the cellar. They do other styles, and have always been pleasant to deal with (by email and phone). No affiliation beyond buying from them.

Thanks for the kind wishes, much appreciated. Although my birthday was last Saturday, I intend to keep celebrating until the special selection box is finished - and there are still eight bottles left!

20220630-142534.jpg

Boozy lunch today at 10 Cases on Endell Street. This was the most unusual booze. Hungarian. Two grapes -- a Gewürztraminer type thing and a Riesling type thing. Coppery coloured (apparently they leave the skins in) It felt a bit like drinking fino with your main course, which I've done in Cadiz, because of the "characterful" taste, not the strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back