advertisement

Deborah James RIP

Tony L

Administrator
The bowel cancer campaigner who raised so much public awareness and money to fight this horrific disease has died at just 40 (Guardian). RIP.

Her ‘Bowelbabe’ fund is still active here on JustGiving.

She's been very much in the news since the announcement she was receiving end-of-life care and her highly publicised Damehood.

Apparently her campaign has saved many lives (one was interviewed on Today) and raised a fortune.

RIP. Amazing person.

Such a tough situation for a young parent to deal with, from what I saw she did amazingly. Her family and friends must be truly heartbroken.

What an awful situation for a young parent and what a wonderful response to the tragedy. RIP. Sadly bowel cancer is affecting younger people (screening now starts at 45 in the US). Be sure to do your poo sample and post it back to the NHS, and if called up for colonoscopy be sure to go. The procedure is really not uncomfortable - the preparation is the worst part (but way better than bowel cancer).

RIP Deborah.
I find it remarkable that some people faced with such a diagnosis find the energy and determination to create such a legacy.
Benefits, she knew were never likely to help personally.
A life lived, money raised, people apparently already saved and all done at only 40. Makes some of the occasional teacup storms on forums across the net seem more than ludicrous.

My Dad casually mentioned that something wasn’t right one Xmas a decade back. He got it checked out ASAP and they found bowel cancer, and early enough to treat purely by surgery. It’s been hard work for him since but he’s still with us today. I shudder to think what the outcome would have been if he’d just ignored it.

When I mentioned some stomach issues to my GP they couldn’t do the diagnostics fast enough. I got given the all clear but I’m very astute when it comes to these things as I’ve lost family and colleagues to stomach cancer.

My mother died of bowel cancer and it was brutal. Just a horrific disease. I’ve had a couple of colonoscopies since to keep ahead of the game. Not an exit route I want for myself at all!

and if called up for colonoscopy be sure to go. The procedure is really not uncomfortable - the preparation is the worst part

Speaking as someone who was on the receiving end of one of these recently, I can highly recommend the sedation for the procedure if offered.

Also, follow the white diet instructions to the letter, make the preparation drink in advance and chill it in the fridge as that at least makes it almost palatable. The Doctor rejected the bloke before me for an inadequate bowl prep whilst mine was complimented for being clean as a whistle.

advertisement

Back