advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Adam Ant last Friday at the Newcastle City Hall, with Mrs P. I didn’t know what to expect but needn’t have worried plenty of people in costume, screaming I’ve never heard for a band ( a lot of love in the audience) and wow what a show for a 68 year old, he was all over the stage and the trade mark double drummers gave a monster sound to songs such as kings of the wild frontier. Would not hesitate to go again !

I was due to go to see Paul Weller at the Royal Hospital Chelsea last night, unfortnately I tested postive for Covid on Saturday. Daughter #2 took my place and went with Mrs BB. Mrs BB has been to a few Weller gigs with me, I'm the fan, she likes certain songs. Mrs BB reckoned it was the best Weller gig she's been to and said the sound quality was superb, a massive improvement on the recent Kentish Town Forum gig we went to, in her words. They did send me some video clips (I told them not to, it's one of my pet hates at gigis) and it sounded bloody great even on the phone.

Cheers BB

Went with a couple of mates, last Thursday, to see the Illegal Eagles in Malvern. There are some good tribute bands around aren't there? These guys are on a very long tour of K smaller venues and will be a fun night out. We only went because our original trip to Wembley to see the real deal was cancelled back in second lockdown.

Magma and The Utopia Strong at Band On The Wall, Manchester.
TUS were an intense 45 minutes of psychedelic bliss, mostly improvised I think. It was the first time I've seen them live and they can definitely do it.
Magma (all 11 of them!) were weird, relentless, very tightly arranged, impressive and different from just about anything else I've ever seen or heard. But I didn't like them. For me the music was cold and I couldn't find any emotional connection with it, in contrast to TUS who are warm, emotional and organic despite being mostly played on electronics. Magma went down a storm with most of the audience so I guess I just don't get it.

Elbow at the 3 arena Dublin. Guy has an excellent voice. They have a nice catalogue of really good tracks. Tight performance just pleasant and really enjoyable. Still waiting for a reprise of ribcage and fugitive model from their earlier album.

Never going to push the envelope of ingenious experimental Muzak but they are really a treasure for the UK and never irritating like our Bonio

I’m not a massive Elbow fan but they were excellent when I saw them live. I though Garvey was one of the best front men I’ve ever seen live, he had the O2 in the palm of his hand.

Cheers BB

While the rest of you were sat on your arses watching Glastonbury I went out and supported real live music :D
https://bandonthewall.org/events/sc...lse-electronic-music-festival-ambient-sunday/
Ian Boddy and Scanner were predictably great and their duet set was mind-melting at times.
The discovery for me was K of Arc, I'd describe his music as dark, industrial ambient (or something like that) which is not usually my thing but this definitely worked for me.
And on Bandcamp https://cruelnaturerecordings.bandcamp.com/album/show-them-your-throat
"Designed to be listened to alone, in the dark, outside" :eek:

While the rest of you were sat on your arses watching Glastonbury I went out and supported real live :eek:

Erm, excuse me Vincent. I was at Kikagaku Moyo last night at the aptly named Grand at Clapham Junction. They, the support and even the dj were totally magnificent befitting the venue. The Japanese diaspora (who knew?) were out mobhanded too.

I was due to be watching Foals tomorrow night in Castlefield, Manchester. Unfortunately I've had to pass on my tickets as the logistics were too difficult with work etc. I don't believe I've anything now until Blue Dot at Jodrell Bank in July, which has a good selection.

Roscoe Mitchell at Wigmore Hall last night - fantastic. First time I think I've seen percussionist Kikanju Baku play and really enjoyed.

The view from the cheap seats..

5FiEV8d.jpg

LCD Soundsystem at Brixton last night. Wow! I missed seeing them first time round but so glad I went to this gig. They were awesome. Tracks from across their back catalogue. No fillers. Really tight sound. I was so impressed that at 2am, I bought a ticket for Sunday's gig as well. Just brilliant!

LCD Soundsystem at Brixton last night. Wow! I missed seeing them first time round but so glad I went to this gig. They were awesome. Tracks from across their back catalogue. No fillers. Really tight sound. I was so impressed that at 2am, I bought a ticket for Sunday's gig as well. Just brilliant!

I was there in 2002.
I was there at the first LCD Soundsystem show at Trash.
I was there when they played the back room at All Tomorrows Parties in 2004.
I was there.
I'm losing my edge, but I was there.
;-)

Billie Eilish at the O2 last Saturday. Was a treat for my 15y.o. daughter, bit surprised to find I thoroughly enjoyed it. Might check her out on Spotify. 40 quid for a t-shirt was a bit painful.

advertisement

Back