advertisement

BBC 1 SHERWOOD. 5 star heads up.

It covers very important ideas and events and it's good that such a mainstream programme is bringing them to a wider audience. But for me its about the people and the communities, both mining and police, and the effect that the politics of this era had on them, the area, their families and their relationships rather than the plot.

What happened in the night that nobody will talk about, who is the spy cop are entertaining but also the least interesting aspect of the show for me and really just a device with which to frame the exploration of these wider ideas. Which is fine because that is after all pretty much how drama works.

Thatcher's government caused mayhem and in fact they really provoked a civil war and they fought a civil war on a number of fronts for about ten years until they got rid of her, the effects of their policies are still being felt to this day, the spycops were 'stood down' in 2008 and were active from 1968.

Murder squads in the North of Ireland with indiscriminate murders of Catholics carried out by proxy, the hunger strikers being treated like criminals, Bloody Sunday and BallyMurphy, soldiers murdering unarmed civillians, relatives still fighting for justice.

Hillsborough same as above, no justice yet, not one conviction.

The Miners, some of whom were blacklisted and couldn't get work after the strike, whole communities riped apart with familes not talking to each other for years sometimes never being reconciled now we hear of spycops infiltrating communities for years and sometimes fathering children with people they were spying on.

The Greenham common activists were particularly targeted by those police.

Travellers continually harassed and treated like third class citizens.

The list is endless and we're still paying the price all these years later.

Lovely bit of regional dialectal linguistics there Mull. Love it! More Lancs than Nottingham? Yorkshire, even?

Ahh reckon 'Anyroad' was used in my yoof... but wouldn't swear to 'Anyroadup' as pure Nottm/Notts. Half of the battle with the local accent is that it's as much about intonation as the actual words. Also, as with any accent, there can be pretty stark variations even within a few miles. My Brother in Law is from Hucknall ('uknull') and I've never understood a word he's said to me in 50+ years...despite 'uknall' only being about 3 miles from Bestwood.

The better examples are the merging and blurring of words such as 'gerraaaht', 'gerraahhtonit', 'shutyagob', 'yerdaftbogger'. 'Bogger' is pretty much unique to that area..as it is mostly 'bugger', or 'beggar' elsewhere. 'That area', including Notts, parts of Derbys., Staffs. Leics. and Lincs.

A few classics from my yoof, include:

'Gerrontcauseh'. Usually to a child, encouraging them to stay on the 'causeway', pavement, or sidewalk and not wander into the roadway.
'Eyagorrawiya?' Is your wife/girlfriend with you?
'Djagudahn'. Did you go to the match?

Lovely one I heard recently in a Wethies in Bulwell. (Boowul). Young girl to a child. 'Sit dahn ere Duck..wegoointerev sum dinnoh'...

My Brother in Law is from Hucknall ('uknull') and I've never understood a word he's said to me in 50+ years...despite 'uknall' only being about 3 miles from Bestwood.

Don't believe it!:) I surveyed Hucknall shopping area a few times, as well as a couple of other Nottingham suburbs (Beeston, Long Eaton). Strange that I could probably still draw a map of these retail conurbations; no idea why as it must have been 35 to 40 years ago, and there're a lot of towns I've forgotten. Can even remember the Victoria Centre (?) and Nott'ham's layout. Mind you, I can't remember what I came upstairs for most of the time; funny thing, memory !

Don't believe it!:) I surveyed Hucknall shopping area a few times, as well as a couple of other Nottingham suburbs (Beeston, Long Eaton). Strange that I could probably still draw a map of these retail conurbations; no idea why as it must have been 35 to 40 years ago, and there're a lot of towns I've forgotten. Can even remember the Victoria Centre (?) and Nott'ham's layout. Mind you, I can't remember what I came upstairs for most of the time; funny thing, memory !

uknall as changed naah me owd duck, yer wunt recognise it

Shirebrook was mentioned in the last episode. Cycled through there in the early '90's. My mates nicknamed it Shitebrook. Desolate, no cars outside the two up two downs, hardly a soul on the street. Poor Shitebrook ignominiously it is now the centre for Sports Direct. Many of the two up two downs are crammed with poorly paid workers in Ashley's empire.

The Wife encouraged me to watch this Sherwood series. Normally I avoid the like.

note: I am very local to these events. I knew one of the actual murder victims by sight from seeing him about town.

My Dad worked in most of the pits in the area.

The acting is very good. Well cast on the whole.

With regards to the local accent - pretty good on the whole. Enjoyed the use of ‘Woss’ as in ‘it wo woss than that.’

Not been for a walk in Annesley woods for yonks.

Possibly Keats is the sparrows BR said that they, Keats, ‘were trouble’ and the sparrows are definitely trouble plus the guy was a cop.

[QUOTE="twotone,Helen St Clair I don't think is the spy because although she said that Salisbury knows her real name (he doesn't) she also said that when someone looks into her file then she's informed by people looking after her safety so possibly on a witness protection programme.

I think first prize for acting in this goes to the nutter train driver bloke. Maybe first prize for over-acting but it seems (now seemed) to work.

Consternation chez moi last evening when the BBC, as is their wont, swapped channels around for Andy's debut match. Why on Earth didn't they simply leave Wimbles on BBC2 where it was? Having Virgin, I wasn't sure which to record, as Virgin captions don't reflect changes in programming.

I think first prize for acting in this goes to the nutter train driver bloke. Maybe first prize for over-acting but it seems (now seemed) to work.

Consternation chez moi last evening when the BBC, as is their wont, swapped channels around for Andy's debut match. Why on Earth didn't they simply leave Wimbles on BBC2 where it was? Having Virgin, I wasn't sure which to record, as Virgin captions don't reflect changes in programming.

I've been amazed at some of the issues the writer has addressed the bold Andy seemed to imply that he could go to heaven because even though he brutally murdered his daughter in law his good deeds outweighed the bad, ergo he would go to heaven and see his wife again.

That is one f u cked up way of looking at things, clearly the original murderer guy was unwell and probably insane but still, eff me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araf_(Islam)

He was good in a film I enjoyed recently, called Ali & Ava.

When I first saw Adeel Akhtar, I see him as the bloke in Four Lions.

It is a confident performance given the script I thought. I wonder how many takes they had for his ‘madness’ scenes? Like to think it was Take 1.

My wife was out playing tennis. Consequently I was listening to music, having set the Sky box to tape Sherwood ready to watch when my wife was back. Lo and behold, when pressing "play" for Sherwood on her return we were greeted by more bl**dy tennis!

Decided to i-player it tonight so we get a double-bill.

I've been amazed at some of the issues the writer has addressed the bold Andy seemed to imply that he could go to heaven because even though he brutally murdered his daughter in law his good deeds outweighed the bad, ergo he would go to heaven and see his wife again.

That is one f u cked up way of looking at things, clearly the original murderer guy was unwell and probably insane but still, eff me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araf_(Islam)
I think there is a misunderstanding. Firstly, he hoped that his wife was waiting for him in Araf and secondly believed that if his bad deeds exceeded the good, he would go to hell.

Not sure you can blame the writer for Islamic canon.

I think there is a misunderstanding. Firstly, he hoped that his wife was waiting for him in Araf and secondly believed that if his bad deeds exceeded the good, he would go to hell.

Not sure you can blame the writer for Islamic canon.

Aye but he was making out that he had been good his entire life ergo he's be going to heaven cause the murder wasn't a murder according to him he said it was an accident, he nearly cut the girl's head of with a spade some accident.

Aye but he was making out that he had been good his entire life ergo he's be going to heaven cause the murder wasn't a murder according to him he said it was an accident, he nearly cut the girl's head of with a spade some accident.
Whether his good deeds outweigh the bad is a matter for Allah. Many a convicted murderer, with an otherwise unblemished record, claimed accident as a defence.

This is a drama after all.

advertisement

Back