advertisement

Great Albums with one (really) naff track

Fairport Convention, A Sailor’s Life on Unhalfbricking. It goes on for ages, and marks the point at which the band moved away from Americana to British finger-in-the-ear folk music.

:eek:Its the 2nd best track on the album ( after Who Knows Where the Time Goes) : I hear them channeling the Velvet Underground every time I play it!

Fairport Convention, A Sailor’s Life on Unhalfbricking. It goes on for ages, and marks the point at which the band moved away from Americana to British finger-in-the-ear folk music.
Some people dislike it so much they make it a-finger-in-both-ears listening (not me though, I think it’s one of the best tracks).

I’m pretty sure ‘Dear God’ was a b-side & it’s also a great song.
It was a B-side to begin with, although originally intended to be on the album and then pulled. Different people have different thoughts as to why that happened. Then it was put on to later pressings of the album when it became a hit in America - mine is one of those without it. Opinions probably differ as to whether it is a great song or not. IMO it rather spoils the flow/‘concept’ of the album.

I would argue that although it does mark a crossroads and they took the wrong turn, however the track itself is great. Adopting Dave Swarbrick and jettisoning Ian Matthews was also a marker of their swing to the folksier way of things.

I listen & enjoy Fairport Convention far more than I do The Band, I always thought they had a more domestic/English sound.

I think DSOTM would be a much better record without ‘Money’. The clunky 7/8 riff is bad enough, but when they switch into the straight-time rocking out section it always makes me think of the car sequence in Wayne’s World.
I couldn't agree more - it just doesn't follow the 'vibe' of the rest of the album at all.

I listen & enjoy Fairport Convention far more than I do The Band, I always thought they had a more domestic/English sound.
Much prefer The Band, though I like both British Folk(Rock) and Americana. Can’t think of a naff track on any Band album myself though they did have a bit of a naff member depending on whose story you believe.

Almost every Beatles album has at least one. I particularly dislike is "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da".
Got to agree with Marcho on 'Money' (DSOTM), I literally skip it.
'Our House' grates too. Bloody Graham Nash.

advertisement

Back