advertisement

So... You think your Tesla's fast off the line eh...?

I'd hate to have to agree with you but you are entirely correct. It's heading the same way as the Group B rally cars after Toivonen's death......... except they need to act before something like that happens but boy is 39.08s impressive or what, I assume that is an average 150mph+??

Regards

Richard

Yes, those hay bails won't stop a car at those speeds... even if the car stays on the ground let alone one cart wheeling.

Having said that, it's great that not all the world has gone snowflake and surely punters there know what they're letting themselves in for... It's like motor racing a decades ago.

Having said that, it's great that not all the world has gone snowflake and surely punters there know what they're letting themselves in for....

The children that are taken to the FoS can be forgiven for not having a full understanding of the risks.

I witnessed this crash. This was the day that Goodwood could thank it’s lucky stars. There were no spectators in the tunnel that the car disappeared into, and no wheelchair users on the disabled viewing area where the suspension corner bounced through:

The children that are taken to the FoS can be forgiven for not having a full understanding of the risks.

I witnessed this crash. This was the day that Goodwood could thank it’s lucky stars. There were no spectators in the tunnel that the car disappeared into, and no wheelchair users on the disabled viewing area where the suspension corner bounced through:

Yeah, when cars get airborne stuffs goes pear shaped really fast!

Seeing that tyre heading off reminded me...I was at the 2001 Melb Grand Prix where a tyre got thru the small access gap in the safety fence and killed a marshall.

Here’s a nice roundup of the 10 fastest runs

Simply wow - so many electric cars. Cars were as fast as the drivers' balls allowed I think, look at the vintage Brabham at very edge! On a second view, that McMurty car's fan blades are not going to have a long service life - imagine one giving up mid-run... The Porsche electric disturbed the air a lot less than the others. Stunning.

Thanks to those that have posted links.

Incredible to watch and very clear that banning the Brabham fan car in F1 in 1978 was a good move!

As has already been suggested, safety will need to be reassessed if more cars like this are to be driven at Goodwood.

As an aside - does anybody have a link to a clip showing the little fan car spooling up at the start pre launch ?

I watched it live, but cant find anything showing the thing getting ready to launch.

Bloody love this; I saw the McMurtry in an earlier iteration, not running a year or so ago. It's some very special thinking and engineering.
Also to note that this weekend's runs - it was limited by the team to 150mph to be sure, and hit that for over 4s on the straight - and was at 149.x over the finish line. Speed-limited, by choice :eek:

So yes - McMurtry could turn it up some-more yet!

(But - to do so of course, will be metered-out very, very carefully: the risks of relying on active aero is an immense liability if the cars attitude is changed by a big bump, etc etc - doesn't bear thinking about if All the grip disappears in an instant. And Goodwood is not the place to do it, for one)

I'm still worried where the blades will go if it shatters due to debris pick up, driver may not worry too much about the following crash! But I read fans only generated 500kg of downforce last year, they must be confident to quadruple it for this year - driver must have taken many hours to learn to drive it fast, stunning!

I'd hate to have to agree with you but you are entirely correct. It's heading the same way as the Group B rally cars after Toivonen's death......... except they need to act before something like that happens but boy is 39.08s impressive or what, I assume that is an average 150mph+??

Regards

Richard

The speed shown at the end is a bit misleading, I’m thinking of cycling time trials but when the finishing time is shown it also shows the speed, which is the average speed. In this case on the FOS the speed shown at the end is a speed trap reading.
The average speed for this McMurty record is 107.08mph.

I'm still worried where the blades will go if it shatters due to debris pick up, driver may not worry too much about the following crash! But I read fans only generated 500kg of downforce last year, they must be confident to quadruple it for this year - driver must have taken many hours to learn to drive it fast, stunning!
I'd guess there are ballistic kevlar blankets around the blades, they do the same thing around dragster transmissions in case they explode.

advertisement

Back