advertisement

Has Covid changed you?

wulbert

pfm Member
I'm thinking more about psychologically or your outlook on life, rather than physical effects, although they are perhaps inseparable.

I think I have changed a bit. In the early days, I was making an effort to express more gratitude and be polite towards front-line workers; shop assistants, delivery drivers, bus drivers, call-centre staff etc. What I noticed was that this turned into quite strong, genuine feelings of deep gratitude towards people who have been keeping the world going and providing services.

The whole period had been marked, for me, by a high-pitched whine of tension at the back of my mind. Poor sleep, "apocalyptic"/dystopian type dreams and lack of focus at work. I felt this was beginning to ease a little when Putin's war on Ukraine kicked off....so on we go.
Some euphoria when it was revealed that the vaccines were working and then a kind of slump when it became clear that covid is a long-term disruption and threat. A low-level depression is certainly present most days.

I think I might be a wee bit more "who cares?" when it comes to long-term goals and have prioritised more leisure and time with my wife. I've accelerated my plans for semi-retirement and a maybe a move to a smaller retirement house.

I'm interested to hear if other people feel that the last couple of years have changed them?

I too am now more inclined to full retirement and a move to a smaller place closer to where I come from.

I’ll add. The main change from covid is to work less in order to spend more time among friends and family. More social time, less time at work. I’ve taken 2 cruises in the last 8 months so life carries on. I don’t suffer bad dreams or depression about this at all.

Last edited:
For me it brought into sharp focus how fragile our grip on life is.

My wife was hospitalised with COVID in april 2020. She got on quite well the others in her ward only to find out later that some of them didn't get to go home to their families. Long COVID is a thing and has affected us both, even 2 years later we both are still feeling the effects.

I can't say how effective the vaccine is but we've both had both doses and the booster, so are sitting here with fingers crossed that it's enough.

On a, slightly, separate note, anti-vaxxers should take a long look at themselves not just because of COVID but for the other diseases, like Polio, that are starting to make a comeback when they were virtually eradicated.

Andy

Yes, definitely. I’ve always been pretty reclusive, so it comes fairly easy, but I’m far more so now. I’ve certainly given up gigs and similar densely populated spaces etc. Just not a good risk/reward balance. I’ve had covid, but even so I’m playing it cautious as I really don’t want ‘long covid’ or any of its symptoms. I tend to be the only one in the supermarket or on the tram with a mask now, but it is an FFP2 so for my benefit, not theirs, so I don’t care. Hopefully the vaccines will improve over the next year or two and we’ll beat this for good, but until that point I’ll be informed by science and evidence, not dumb popularist right-wing politics. Covid clearly isn’t over, so I’ll act accordingly.

The only real way it has changed me is that I still automatically stand apart from people and feel awkward if someone is close to me. Other than that I'm glad to be back to how I was in late 2019.

Similar story.

I too am now more inclined to full retirement and a move to a smaller place closer to where I come from.
I did, don't regret it for a moment.

Don't miss the commute or all the hassle with idiot customers who all want the best possible product at the minimum price and they want it now!

Andy

turned into quite strong, genuine feelings of deep gratitude towards people who have been keeping the world going and providing services.

I have always felt that towards people providing services.

If anything we are going out more mixing more.

Previously I rarely worked from home, but now I discover I prefer if and it feels more productive.

Can't say I have noticed much change in my attitude to life or to other people or situations as a result of Covid and its restrictions on freedom of movement and association.

Just the WFH aspect for me, we’d asked for years for its introduction but always got a blanket ‘no’, seems like it’s here for good now.
(Which at the moment is staving off crippling fuel costs).

Generally reinforced introspective and reclusive tendencies, tend to look at strangers with a little suspicion, cross the street if the pavement (sidewalk) is a narrow one, concentrate more on my own personal interests and activities. And, yes, what with Ukraine, plus the current drought, a generally optimistic but negative outlook for the future (if that makes any sense).

I have lost maybe half of my sense of smell, its complexity is coming back as it was, but its intensity has dwindled by something like 40 per cent. As a result, it's now my girlfriend who adds the final touch to the meals I cook.

Having had close to no issue with my health before - four broken teeth, a broken finger and a few serious flu's over the years are all I can remember - I finally see that health is by far the most important thing in life.

The covid pandemic has been very good for me as some significant changes occurred in my personal life; changes that might not have happened had it not been for covid.

First and foremost, around two years ago during the first big wave, I became vegan. This has arguably been the best, most healthy decision I've ever made. Where covid played a major part here was that because I couldn't meet up with friends and family it was really easy to make the transition. Seriously, becoming a vegan has been a relative doddle, especially as the world had apparently become much more vegan friendly at the time of my decision than say 5 or 10 years prior.

I met the love of my last year and both of us felt the covid situation impelled us to embrace the opportunity to go on a blind date with each other. Not in a desperate sort of way, but both of us felt life before covid was something we had just been taking for granted. Plus, we had plenty to talk about on that first date as each of us had lots to say about our own experience of coping with the pandemic and all that ensued. I don't mean to be trite, but the topic of covid and social restrictions and all that made for an excellent ice breaker. We're now engaged to be married and although we've no idea how and when that'll happen, our future together is assured. To quote Andrea O'Donnell: when you know, you know.

When I finally caught covid earlier this year it was of the mild strain of the time and I've suffered no lasting health issues because of it so that's another reason to appreciate life and what covid has given me, as it were.

There are other things that came about but I reckon these are the two most important, the two for which I'm most grateful.

Definitely had an effect, even though I should be able to identify risky vs non-risky situations. Kissing/hugging even family and close friends is almost non-existent now and shaking hands with new people is out. Hand-washing much more frequent, while eating out, gigs and indoor entertainment have virtually stopped. Outdoor conversations now held by yelling at people from 1-2 metres away.

Last edited:
Covid was just one more in a succession of 'psychological' impacts on me along with my partner's serious illnesses, mum's cancer and its return, dad's death and my own health scare. As stated on the "UK WTF" thread, all that and the constant bad news in the press since 2008 or so, with my depressive personality has been bad. Specifically, Covid has made me less likely to go out and (along with aging and all that has happened) more worried about my own mortality. Now most of you will go "carpe diem" and all that but, not me, nope, all it has done is made me very introspective, angrier, sadder and more terrified that every new ache, lump, pain or cough is the one that's going to kill me.

Changed?

The effect has been to reinforce behaviour that I generally follow.
wash my hands more often, especially after a visit to such as the supermarket.
I still avoid touching anything that multi peoples have touched - shop door handles etc.
I don’t have a big life anyhoo, and don’t interact with folks that often, so there was less impact on daily routine

I am very conscious that the Covid-19 thing isn’t over yet.

I have had C-19, but it wasn’t too bad. Didn’t enjoy the experience.

My The Daughter was in Nursing (as a newly qualified Staff Nurse) on a very busy Respiratory High Dependency Unit (HDU) during the worst of it, and it nearly burnt her out. Daughter required time off, counselling and antidepressants. Seeing The Daughter during this time and acting as a Dad and a retired Nurse as well led to a lot of heavy conversation. I felt anxious because Daughter was under pressure.
The Daughter has changed jobs n the last month, this is good news.
She feels better - I feel better.

I'm thinking more about psychologically or your outlook on life, rather than physical effects, although they are perhaps inseparable.

I think I have changed a bit. In the early days, I was making an effort to express more gratitude and be polite towards front-line workers; shop assistants, delivery drivers, bus drivers, call-centre staff etc. What I noticed was that this turned into quite strong, genuine feelings of deep gratitude towards people who have been keeping the world going and providing services.

The whole period had been marked, for me, by a high-pitched whine of tension at the back of my mind. Poor sleep, "apocalyptic"/dystopian type dreams and lack of focus at work. I felt this was beginning to ease a little when Putin's war on Ukraine kicked off....so on we go.
Some euphoria when it was revealed that the vaccines were working and then a kind of slump when it became clear that covid is a long-term disruption and threat. A low-level depression is certainly present most days.

I think I might be a wee bit more "who cares?" when it comes to long-term goals and have prioritised more leisure and time with my wife. I've accelerated my plans for semi-retirement and a maybe a move to a smaller retirement house.

I'm interested to hear if other people feel that the last couple of years have changed them?
The psychological impact of the pandemic on me was quite insidious. While being scared by it at the outset, I found my self rationalising it away but that’s never a successful strategy. I had insomnia, troubled dreams and experienced ‘hyper vigilance’, finding experiences like being out in the street or on public transport at times unusually threatening and consequently I felt more hostile or suspicious toward others.

The invasion of Ukraine just amplified this and has made me more pessimistic about humanity. I find it very difficult to detach from what’s going on there- it both saddens me and makes me angry.

The covid pandemic has been very good for me as some significant changes occurred in my personal life; changes that might not have happened had it not been for covid.

First and foremost, around two years ago during the first big wave, I became vegan. This has arguably been the best, most healthy decision I've ever made. Where covid played a major part here was that because I couldn't meet up with friends and family it was really easy to make the transition. Seriously, becoming a vegan has been a relative doddle, especially as the world had apparently become much more vegan friendly at the time of my decision than say 5 or 10 years prior.

I met the love of my last year and both of us felt the covid situation impelled us to embrace the opportunity to go on a blind date with each other. Not in a desperate sort of way, but both of us felt life before covid was something we had just been taking for granted. Plus, we had plenty to talk about on that first date as each of us had lots to say about our own experience of coping with the pandemic and all that ensued. I don't mean to be trite, but the topic of covid and social restrictions and all that made for an excellent ice breaker. We're now engaged to be married and although we've no idea how and when that'll happen, our future together is assured. To quote Andrea O'Donnell: when you know, you know.

When I finally caught covid earlier this year it was of the mild strain of the time and I've suffered no lasting health issues because of it so that's another reason to appreciate life and what covid has given me, as it were.

There are other things that came about but I reckon these are the two most important, the two for which I'm most grateful.
Congratulations Derek, that cheered me up reading that.:)

I always enjoyed walking in London and I find I almost never use the Tube these days. Perhaps not because of fear of Covid as much as it's just horrible down there.

advertisement

Back