advertisement

Glastonbury 22

Big Thief are great. Not so sure about special gues little brother and his mouth harp though.

psycho rock - instrumental rock. Kind of band who tracks last 20 minutes, and an album comes on 5 vinyl discs

Never caught them. Are they a Jazz outfit?

No, more dub/stoner-rock, and in a really cool way. A three-piece, largely instrumental and I’d file them in the same basic camp as Shpongle, The Orb etc, but as they are a live three-piece (guitar, bass, drums) maybe a bit of Grateful Dead to them too. I really liked them. The guitarist uses a lot of dub effects, delay and spacial FX, so huge soundscape, the girl on bass is funky as hell, and the drummer superb. Really groovy stuff. I’d seen them on Tiny Desk a long while ago, but they made way more sense yesterday. IIRC Nubya Garcia supported them on a recent tour so I guess there is some obvious jazz crossover, it is certainly largely improvised, but more stoner groove to me. One of the bands from this weekend I clearly need to buy some stuff by. Definitely one to research further.

No, more dub/stoner-rock, and in a really cool way. A three-piece, largely instrumental and I’d file them in the same basic camp as Shpongle, The Orb etc, but as they are a live three-piece (guitar, bass, drums) maybe a bit of Grateful Dead to them too. I really liked them. The guitarist uses a lot of dub effects, delay and spacial FX, so huge soundscape, the girl on bass is funky as hell, and the drummer superb. Really groovy stuff. I’d seen them on Tiny Desk a long while ago, but they made way more sense yesterday. IIRC Nubya Garcia supported them on a recent tour so I guess there is some obvious jazz crossover, it is certainly largely improvised, but more stoner groove to me. One of the bands from this weekend I clearly need to buy some stuff by. Definitely one to research further.

An old video now, but compared with a lot of guitarists his rig seems kind of minimalist! I think they have somewhat of a Thai influence reading from the early days. She couldn't play bass at all when they started, he taught her!

Ah. So Steve Hillage meets Vinny Reilly ? Will try and find their set on iplayer. Not easily done it seems. Given the fact the BBC have had 3 years since the last Glastonbury why is it still such a complete shitstorm to navigate?.

Ah. So Steve Hillage meets Vinny Reilly ?

Yes, some of that, but probably more System 7-era Hillage, than Fish Rising. You could dance to most of it. Didn’t bring Vini to mind.

PS Their set is in the ‘Glasto wind-down’ category on iPlayer. Inventing categories is one of the most fun things about having a record shop, e.g. having a ‘80s hair metal’ bin and ordering it by vocalist hair colour, but I’m not convinced the BBC doing this kind of thing is helping anyone. I’d certainly have a ‘Glasto wind-up’ category for Noel Gallagher.

Love the ‘F the tories’ flag. Undoubtedly some trustafarian, probably unhappy their 20K a month allowance isn’t going up with inflation.

nothing like

Same trippy dub thing to my mind. I saw The Orb live multiple times early on around the first singles and debut album. Obviously a very different way of achieving it, Khruangbin being totally live, but I’d certainly class them both in the same stoner camp with a similar dub groove thing going on. I suspect most folk who liked one would like the other.

Love the ‘F the tories’ flag. Undoubtedly some trustafarian, probably unhappy their 20K a month allowance isn’t going up with inflation.
Or maybe it's just yet another person thoroughly sick with this rudderless, flailing, malevolent, authoritarian, shitstorm, dumpster fire of a government who didn't vote to put it there as you did. And what a pathetic invocation of a Daily Mail narrative, by the way - people who oppose the government must be woke liberal elites. Are you ever going to make a sensible comment?

Saturday night and been stage hopping for the last half hour...I'm a little bored...

advertisement

Back