advertisement

Technics 50th Anni SL-1200 Mk7

I called Richer earlier in the week as I had half a mind to also get a White one. None available to order in any colour. May come back into stock, but don’t hold your breath I feel.

If I was going for one of these I really wouldn't know which colour to pick..... except that it wouldn't be beige!

Another one on eBay here, a black one. I’m highlighting it as the serial number is visible in the eighth picture (with the lid fitted and the deck sitting on the box, you need to zoom to read it) and looks to be #00462. That rather breaks our theory of colour batches as it is only a few away from my yellow one.

That linked one is no longer available. Not sure if that means it actually sold?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I wonder if there's any sense in getting a black anniversary, same deck as MK7 (non anniversary) ?

Paying extra for a product number plate and Gold color tonearm, maybe a few other cosmetics.

Anyway a cool turntable, I sort of getting used to the different colours.

A friend just got a Black #03268
highest number so far in this thread.

Mr White has arrived.

52169982601_919dc3bd00_c.jpg

Serial no. 03174

52168961572_491ebaaf69_c.jpg

It’s very white. Those pics taken using my iPhone with Flash on. The piece of paper is the reverse side of a Juno receipt, though this deck came via Total Sounds in Reading. They have another White in stock.

https://totalsounds.co.uk/product/technics-sl-1200mk7l-direct-drive-turntable-white/

The white is really cool. I’m curious as to how well they’ll wear after a bit of use. I suspect the white and yellow in particular could end up looking rather tatty pretty fast as matt finishes tend to buff to a really uneven sheen if you try and clean it. The paint is striking, far more intense and far more matt in real life than pictures capture. It is quite a radical finish, I can’t think of anything like it. I just hope it is hard-wearing.

Just found out the arm-rest and arm-lift of mk7 and 1200GR behave similar.

Arm-rest is set fixed too low(can't be adjusted ?)
When you lock arm into arm-rest the arm-lift is sort of being pushed down.

My setup, I need to re-lift arm-lift, otherwise stylus may be too close to record.
Quite annoying.
hope this makes sense.?

Surely you only lock the arm into the rest for transit/moving the turntable? In the normal rest position it should be fine. I’ve never clipped/locked an arm into the rest on any turntable I’ve owned unless I was actually moving the turntable or removing the arm. I’ve always figured it places unnecessarily stress on the bearings and can even leave marks on the arm-tube (check pretty much any SME V as an example here!).

My setup, I need to re-lift arm-lift, otherwise stylus may be too close to record.
Quite annoying.
hope this makes sense.?
Per, I’m not sure what you’re issue is - do you want to lift/lower that arm rest or are you having a problem with the actual arm height? Locking do you mean the flip over clip half way down the arm or the release/lock on the arm base?

Maybe this?

Quite annoying.
hope this makes sense.?
Do you have the tonearm height adjustment set correctly for the given height of your phono cartridge?

One issue with SME headshell fit arms is there is no standard height from the bayonet fit socket and the cartridge mounting surface. As such the position of the cueing platform can vary quite a bit as it isn’t a constant with flat VTA. Hope that makes sense, it is hard to put into words what I mean, but change to a third-party headshell and there is a very good chance the cueing platform will need adjustment.

Locking do you mean the flip over clip half way down the arm

Yep thats what I meant, I sometime secure the arm by the clip but armrest sort of push armlift/arm a bit down.
Tonearm height and armlift height is otherwise set correct for my needs.

I have tried various cartridges and always had this issue - need to relift arm, a friend have similar issue with his new MK7L, so we thought others could chime in if this is normal.

Yep thats what I meant, I sometime secure the arm by the clip but armrest sort of push armlift/arm a bit down.
Tonearm height and armlift height is otherwise set correct for my needs.

I have tried various cartridges and always had this issue - need to relift arm, a friend have similar issue with his new MK7L, so we thought others could chime in if this is normal.
Can’t you lower the armlift if it is stopping the arm dropping into the bottom of the holder so it clips without downward pressure? If it bothers you use a shim or thicker/doubled up mat and raise the arm itself.

Yes that works, however I do often like to secure the arm with the clip, my issue would be solved if the arm-rest could be raised 1-2 MM.
You’re not supposed to secure the arm with the arm lift raised. You need to lower the arm lift so the arm drops into the holder and then clip it. Doing it with the arm still raised will put stress on things and likely cause some damage over time or at minimum weaken the arm lift mech. I’ve never seen anyone clip an arm with the armlift still raised.

I never use the clip unless physically moving the deck (rare, clearly!), and would lower the lift to do that. Surely just moving the arm back against the rest but still raised is the simplest approach? Not judging, just wondering why anyone would do otherwise?

advertisement

Back