advertisement

Lid up or down when playing vinyl ?

Rega P10 - cover off, no other option. Technics SL1200G, cover off, if you leave it up and play loudish the cover will vibrate and transmit audible vibrations into the deck.

Half-way of course. Lid is also made of special audiophile orientated unobtanium and been frozen in cryogenic fluid like the best audiophile power cables and fuses.

Some p**s-taking know-it-all-objectivist will be round in a minute to tell me it doesn’t make a difference, which I won’t take to too kindly too and bring out the Victor Meldrew in me.

Seriously, try it half way. Best compromise.

grumpy-old-man-picture-id173579953

With all the chat about an open lid acting as an aerial for sound waves and vibrations, which seemed plausible.
I tried both up and off, in my home, my kit etc. I could not discern any audible difference so remained a lid up kind of guy.
It does make a big difference when using the toilet though, I urge you all to use the lid up approach. However, removal may evoke unholy wrath from the lady of the house!

I’ve never owned a record player so I have to ask?, why should the position of the toilet seat lid make a difference?

there is some science behind whether 'up or down'.

One of the big problems with record reproduction is that the vinyl record is prone to picking up vibrations from the loudspeaker, so proximity to a loudspeaker is important. This source of vibration is often overlooked as evidenced by the myriad of pics of people's systems with the record player right next to one (or both) loudspeakers. Even if bass feedback frequencies don't 'seem' to be a problem, the record will vibrate to some extent, lessening the fidelity of reproduction.

This points to lid down. BUT, the flimsy acrylic lids on many record players can/will vibrate, and as acrylic has very little damping, those vibrations will be transferred to the rest of the record player, causing smearing of the sound.

The answer is not simple. Move the record player/s to another room (not possible in most situations). Use a lid fit for purpose, again not possible in most situations. Take remedial action by damping the record, obviously from underneath, but with weight/puck/clamp on top. The platter mat must have significant damping ability, of similar mechanical impedance to the record, but of dis-similar MI to the platter. HTH

I’ve never owned a record player so I have to ask?, why should the position of the toilet seat lid make a difference?

Usually only when playing certain records like 'Waterloo' or 'Loo Seat in the Sky with Diamonds' or by songs sung by Looloo. However, others may poo-poo that scenario as clean round the bend.

Like many owners, I have to remove the lid from my Well Tempered tt. as it’s not hinged. On my daughters Rega the lid is just lifted when in use. Lids definitely down when tt’s not in use. I have read some manufacturers recommend removal of the lid when in use.

there is some science behind whether 'up or down'.

One of the big problems with record reproduction is that the vinyl record is prone to picking up vibrations from the loudspeaker, so proximity to a loudspeaker is important. This source of vibration is often overlooked as evidenced by the myriad of pics of people's systems with the record player right next to one (or both) loudspeakers. Even if bass feedback frequencies don't 'seem' to be a problem, the record will vibrate to some extent, lessening the fidelity of reproduction.

This points to lid down. BUT, the flimsy acrylic lids on many record players can/will vibrate, and as acrylic has very little damping, those vibrations will be transferred to the rest of the record player, causing smearing of the sound.

The answer is not simple. Move the record player/s to another room (not possible in most situations). Use a lid fit for purpose, again not possible in most situations. Take remedial action by damping the record, obviously from underneath, but with weight/puck/clamp on top. The platter mat must have significant damping ability, of similar mechanical impedance to the record, but of dis-similar MI to the platter. HTH

Christ, this is basically what I said four pages ago.

The answer is perfectly simple. Take the lid off.

A couple of pretty obvious points re. playing with the lid down. Within that enclosed space and due to the rotation of the platter, there is the potential for air current interference and possibly concentrating dust onto the record.

However, on a practical point, if you have to lower the lid after cueing and lifting at the end, there's far more potential for accidents/dropping etc. This did happen when I had my hinged LP12 back in the 80s, but because I couldn't use the hinges on the Target wall stand I adopted, I simply removed the lid and replaced at end of session. The same procedure was followed for the Xerxes and Orbe which followed.

Last edited:
Christ, this is basically what I said four pages ago.

The answer is perfectly simple. Take the lid off.

actually two pages ago, but that is not what you said. You said: " Down is probably better because it will damp some of the vibration."

That is not what I was saying. How does a vibrating acrylic lid damp vibrations? And there is no need to swear...

advertisement

Back