advertisement

The dumbest audio product announcement ever?

Couple of observations:
1.) They are sold out on Mc site means they are now "collectable" -most probably will quickly show up on da bay for more than retail (be still my heart!).
2.)Ask any Mc dealer (at least in the USA) -Mc is a draw line and more importantly -that customer knows it's expensive before they walk thru the store's door.
3.) And it's got nuthin to do with sound quality -it's a aspirational product/line. Salesman will almost always hear "I always wanted to own a Mc" very near the start of a purchasing experience.
4.) Mc ain't stupid-those goofy big blue meters somehow work for their customers -who very,very frequently will buy the "matching" components. Established companies that decide they are due for a cosmetic design upgrade would be well advised to look at Mc success with a single look and suppress the urge to freshen up their front panels.

While I have some idea that Covid and russki tube shortages have impacted this -gotta give Mc credit for fixing really old products -not everything (no parts for some issues with some models)- but the list of manufacturers who want anything to do with 30 or 40 year old models is pretty short. Exactly why you'd want to pay significant money to repair a very old and not particularly great sounding piece of audio gear is a question -oops-except it has big blue meters.

What was the exact point McIntosh turned into such hideously ugly bling-fi? There must have been a precise date, a new product that brought the ugly in. I’d happily own the 1960s MC30, 40 mono power amps, or the MC240 and whatever the appropriate matching preamp was called (think Bosch’s hi-fi from the TV cop show). That is really cool vintage high-end. Proper kit.

PS I think the new empty light box is pretty subtle and dignified compared to the record deck! That thing would even stand out as tasteless in Trump’s gold elevator.

Nahh-not to our former esteemed leaders taste -woulda been entirely gold plated top ta bottom. Still -no big argument with ya Tony-that TT is pretty darn fugly !

That is………..unusual!

What I can’t fathom is why they’ve never done an add-on box that contains nothing more than a pair of their big blue VU meters with a line level input. I bet that would sell like hot cakes.

Hell, I’d buy one….

There's always the $1800 'VU Meter' clock Adam.

McClock_Angle_J_720x.jpg

I guess, if I'm feeling charitable, this just shows us what a broad church our hobby is. I'm looking at this and looking at the gorgeous restored Lenco I've just invested £300 in, in a veneered heavy plinth, fettled by a bloke in a shed in Essex. I consider it astonishing value. I doubt LB200 buyers would give house room.

Makes perfect sense for someone wanting to hide one small off brand component in their mac rig. Why the beef?

I guess, if I'm feeling charitable, this just shows us what a broad church our hobby is. I'm looking at this and looking at the gorgeous restored Lenco I've just invested £300 in, in a veneered heavy plinth, fettled by a bloke in a shed in Essex. I consider it astonishing value. I doubt LB200 buyers would give house room.

I like your style. I also think some of those guys in the front pews are nuts. :D

I think sq225917 has a brilliant idea here. I could hide my Benchmark DAC behind it -how 'bout a lightpipe to send IR signals thru the signage to whatever your hiding behind it. Since I've never owned any Mc gear-would look a little weird. This might be contagious -buy a Mc sign and next thing ya know I'll be filling my racks with blue meters :) .

It's easy to mock, but I anticipate that some people will say their systems sound better with this empty box. The brain's aural perception (interpretation) is an annoyingly unreliable thing. At some point we've all imagined differences which weren't really there when changing some aspect of our systems. We've all been fooled by an empty box at some point. Wine tasters are influenced by the label. Buyers of this crap may well enjoy their music more with it present. Happiness to them.

advertisement

Back