advertisement

WTF is happening to the UK?

I really feel quite strongly about Johnson attacking the rail workers in this way. He is stirring up a class war and encouraging the mechanisms of the state to attack it's own workers.
This is the same party that worships the laws of supply and demand and competition; the holy "Market". And yet when the balance of demand in the labour market tilts slightly towards workers, they are straight in with the boot.

I think you should read this, an account by a rail worker, because it gives a clearer picture of the details of what is going on.....

'Three years ago we accepted a 0% pay rise, two years ago we accepted a 0% pay rise. But this year they came to us with a 0% pay rise plus over 2500 redundancies, changes to terms and conditions. An increase from 28 weeks of nights to 39 weeks of nights. An increase from 32 weekends worked to 39 weekends worked. Currently for a night shift we get time and a quarter, for a weekend turn we get time and a half. They wish to cut both of these to time and a tenth. So that’s a 15% pay cut on every night shift and a 40% pay cut on every weekend turn. But they want us to work more of them. This is their modernisation they talk about. Not technology, we embrace technology and have seen more and more of it in recent years. They also wish to fire and re-hire the operative grades and bring them back under a new job title but on £9000 a year less. They also want them to use their own vehicles to get to work sites, this when fuel is at its highest. They will also be pooled when currently they are part of the team. The press are painting this to be about pay above all else. It is not. But now we’ve said sod them we are going to demand better. I wish everyone could see past the government controlled media smear.'

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...tion-britain-latest-updates#comment-157140591

SO. there we have it.

Class war undoubtedly. The only hope is, that as more people begin to feel the pressure, we’ll realise we greatly outnumber them.

I despise the Tories more every year. The problem is, there’s been a lot of years now. And this much hatred can’t be doing me any good.

The condition you have. shared with many others is, Misophonia...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

Whenever I see depiffle appear on tv, I hit the mute button on my remote.

It's a completely sane, reasonable and rational response. Why raise your blood pressure and be ruminating on Boris sound bites throughout the rest of your day? I do it too. I don't watch "the news" and can't bear to sit through the drivel, bile and toxicity of broadcast politics shows.

Problem is, that is part of their strategy. Have us disengage, so they can carry on looting the country and dismantling our protections undisturbed.

I really feel quite strongly about Johnson attacking the rail workers in this way. He is stirring up a class war and encouraging the mechanisms of the state to attack it's own workers.
This is the same party that worships the laws of supply and demand and competition; the holy "Market". And yet when the balance of demand in the labour market tilts slightly towards workers, they are straight in with the boot.
Indeed. If labour is a commodity, in the hands of those who labour, then 'the market' and 'the law of supply and demand' should work for them, too. So when demand is high and supply low, or supply is limited for any reason, then cost should go up, because 'the market'. Why this only applies to the wealthy, and not the proletariat has never been explained to me.

Take a breath. Things are not as bad as the 80s & early 90s, massive endemic unemployment & high interest rates. Some perspective is required. We are poorly governed at present but this is still a great country where you can make a good life for yourself.

I really don’t understand how constantly slagging off the country you live in helps any. All countries have there problems & foibles. I do wish we had better weather though.

If we are honest it’s just privileged whinging.

We weren't hurtling into a fascist dictatorship then. If BJ is allowed this will be a one party kleptocracy with no human rights, no right to protest and the ability to stick flammable cladding on those he doesn't like.

I think you should read this, an account by a rail worker, because it gives a clearer picture of the details of what is going on.....

'Three years ago we accepted a 0% pay rise, two years ago we accepted a 0% pay rise. But this year they came to us with a 0% pay rise plus over 2500 redundancies, changes to terms and conditions. An increase from 28 weeks of nights to 39 weeks of nights. An increase from 32 weekends worked to 39 weekends worked. Currently for a night shift we get time and a quarter, for a weekend turn we get time and a half. They wish to cut both of these to time and a tenth. So that’s a 15% pay cut on every night shift and a 40% pay cut on every weekend turn. But they want us to work more of them. This is their modernisation they talk about. Not technology, we embrace technology and have seen more and more of it in recent years. They also wish to fire and re-hire the operative grades and bring them back under a new job title but on £9000 a year less. They also want them to use their own vehicles to get to work sites, this when fuel is at its highest. They will also be pooled when currently they are part of the team. The press are painting this to be about pay above all else. It is not. But now we’ve said sod them we are going to demand better. I wish everyone could see past the government controlled media smear.'

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...tion-britain-latest-updates#comment-157140591

SO. there we have it.

An interesting exposé that the LibDems haven't moved on from Clegg and Swinson. Bloody awful.

I get that with Carly Simon and Annie Lennox. Both of whom I used to like.

I don't follow musicians outside music but always thought Annie Lennox likely to have sound views from the tone of her lyrics.
What exactly is wrong with her ?

I honestly can’t explain. They just both make my teeth itch. It’s nothing to do with their non-musical activities or political views.

I voted for Brexit yet I am a Labour Party supporter. However, It is becoming increasingly clear to me that I may have been absent when they were busy shoving the entire population of the UK through the POLITICAL OPINION POLARISATION PROCESSOR (POPP)

We weren't hurtling into a fascist dictatorship then. If BJ is allowed this will be a one party kleptocracy with no human rights, no right to protest and the ability to stick flammable cladding on those he doesn't like.

An interesting exposé that the LibDems haven't moved on from Clegg and Swinson. Bloody awful.
I watched this and was gobsmacked at the LibDem MP's attitude, she was neither Liberal or Democratic, if the gov can't break the strike with agency workers they should use soldiers instead? WTF?

^^^^^^I voted remain despite the Greek debacle and all sorts of self-interested damage the influential players inflict within the union whilst spouting we are all equal guff. My hate figure remains that arrogant toff Cameron who got us into this mess because he underestimated Farage and thought a quick referendum would bury him and put the ERG back in their box. Eton has a lot to answer for, and that’s just for the last two PM’s they have spawned.

I know plenty of life long Labour supporters who were proper Lexiters. Solidarity with Greece!

So do I. Good intentions perhaps, but failed to recognize Brexit as a project of right wing nationalism and entertained fantastical notions of a Britain freed of the EU somehow creating a model for worker and environment protection stronger than that of the EU. It was a nice pipe-dream, but never grounded in reality.
I know some that still will not admit it was a mistake too - I guess it hurts too much to admit?

Reactions: PsB

advertisement

Back