advertisement

Upgrading CD player and streaming

The 855 is a very decent player would advise a service at that age tho. Has decent transport CDM-4/19 that has proven very reliable. ( The tray belt will need replacing)
Well regarded chip in TDA1541A. Pretty decent build quality and has digital out if you want to try an external dac.
225 CAD seems a bit steep, I'd not pay more than 150 CAD given the exchange rate you quoted earlier.

Hi All. I have found a used Rega DAC for sale. Original model, not R. I think I am better off to get this and just use either my Cambridge 540D DVD player or my Rotel 06SE CD player as a transport. Does that sound like it would work? Would either the Cambridge or Rotel make a better transport?

Could I also connect my Node 2i to the Rega at the same time as either the Cambridge or Rotel transports?

Should I be concerned that the REGA DAC does not do DSD?

And finally.... I gather that the usb input on the back of the Rega Dac is not great. Right now I have a bunch of my CD's burned as ALAC files and they are on a flash drive plugged into the back of my node 2i. Can I just keep them plugged into the back of the Node and still listen to them through the Rega DAC?

Thanks!
Garth

And finally.... I gather that the usb input on the back of the Rega Dac is not great. Right now I have a bunch of my CD's burned as ALAC files and they are on a flash drive plugged into the back of my node 2i. Can I just keep them plugged into the back of the Node and still listen to them through the Rega DAC?
The Node 2i has no usb output so connectivity to the Rega Dac would be either optical or coaxial - either option will happily play the files on your flash drive plugged into the back of the Node 2i and should (imo) achieve an improvement in sound quality over the internal dac of the Node 2i which is fairly average sounding.

Could I also connect my Node 2i to the Rega at the same time as either the Cambridge or Rotel transports?
No problem with that - the Rega Dac has 2 coaxial inputs and 2 optical inputs - just a case of selecting on the front fascia which one you want to listen to and then of course you can fine tune with the different filters available.
Should I be concerned that the REGA DAC does not do DSD?
Depends what your future listening plans are.
I've used a Qutest Dac for the last 18 months and I doubt I've used the DSD capability on more then a couple of occasions - more often than not I find that 16/44 sounds great but there may be others on here with a different opinion or better hearing than me.;)
I used to own a Rega Dac R and absolutely loved it - I don't think you'll go far wrong with its predecessor, particularly if you lean towards an anlaogue sounding Dac.

The Node 2i has no usb output so connectivity to the Rega Dac would be either optical or coaxial - either option will happily play the files on your flash drive plugged into the back of the Node 2i and should (imo) achieve an improvement in sound quality over the internal dac of the Node 2i which is fairly average sounding.

Great! That is what I am hoping! Truth be told I have been fairly happy with the Node 2i although for serious listening its usually my TD124. I find CD's played through my currently very modest CD player sound a bit better than the same material streamed and a bit more 3 dimensional and less flat and bound to the speakers so to speak. I imagine the rega DAC will improve the sound of both my CD player and my node.

No problem with that - the Rega Dac has 2 coaxial inputs and 2 optical inputs - just a case of selecting on the front fascia which one you want to listen to and then of course you can fine tune with the different filters available.
Depends what your future listening plans are.
I've used a Qutest Dac for the last 18 months and I doubt I've used the DSD capability on more then a couple of occasions - more often than not I find that 16/44 sounds great but there may be others on here with a different opinion or better hearing than me.;)
I used to own a Rega Dac R and absolutely loved it - I don't think you'll go far wrong with its predecessor, particularly if you lean towards an anlaogue sounding Dac.

That is my feeling and hope too! I definitely prefer a - for lack of a better word - warmer and more analogue sound and with a sense of presence and depth and something that really engages me emotionally and I am willing to forego some detail or transparency if that is the trade-off. The rest of my system is built around vintage naim amplification and linn Ninka speakers and feel like those brands all have a certain approach to musical priorities that suits me. I had a rega original planet years ago and while certainly not the last word in detail and it just seemed to get the the musical fundamentals in a way that really made sense and appealed to me.

Just a different idea, I see there is a new thread on a Gustard R26, you could sell everything and purchase something like this using a hd to store all your cd music.

Not sure if anyone can help on this. It turns out the REGA DAC is one of the very early ones - serial #00613 - that had a glitch at 176.4 khz playback and back in the day Rega would repair for free. This one has not had the adjustment and the owner says he hasn't encountered issues but done not listen to 176.4 khz tracks regularly. I don't even have any idea when one would be playing something back at 176.4 khz or what this all means and if I should be concerned now? Just wondering if anyone can speak to the issue?

Thanks!
Garth

Not sure if anyone can help on this. It turns out the REGA DAC is one of the very early ones - serial #00613 - that had a glitch at 176.4 khz playback and back in the day Rega would repair for free. This one has not had the adjustment and the owner says he hasn't encountered issues but done not listen to 176.4 khz tracks regularly. I don't even have any idea when one would be playing something back at 176.4 khz or what this all means and if I should be concerned now? Just wondering if anyone can speak to the issue?

Thanks!
Garth
24/176.4 files are extremely rare - I think I've only encoutered a couple during the several years that I've been listening to digital.
From a transparency point of view I think it's nice that he informed you but I think you'll find it won't bother you in the slightest.

advertisement

Back