advertisement

BBC 1 SHERWOOD. 5 star heads up.

Asked my skin today and she said 'The Promise'. She also said it was in the same vein or manner/direction etc. as 'Spiral'. Police chief father tries to nail a child killer in rural France but dies. 20 years later, his DCI daughter takes up the case and the plot yo-yos from past to present, so 2 investigations in one with many people connected to both eras.

Think I watched that, was pretty good too.

Don't recall but I did have a bottle of red wine watching so maybe missed it?

Scott Platt something the name on the playstation?

I am assuming it's David Morrissey's wife. Although I suppose it might be some kind of double bluff.

Definitely not Robbie Platt though as he just shot himself.

I am assuming it's David Morrissey's wife. Although I suppose it might be some kind of double bluff.

Definitely not Robbie Platt though as he just shot himself.

Oh aye I remember now, she seemed to be two people earlier she was frightened out of her wits then she's kinda admitting to being someone else.

Personally I think it's Ian St Clair and not his wife cause there's something in the two detectives' background St Clair obviously did the dirty on the other one 'back in the day'.

Personally I think it's Ian St Clair and not his wife cause there's something in the two detectives' background St Clair obviously did the dirty on the other one 'back in the day'.

So the cop goes undercover in a mining village as part of a Thatcher's class war where he then re-joins the police force under his new identity and rises to a senior rank? It's an interesting theory :)

So the cop goes undercover in a mining village as part of a Thatcher's class war where he then re-joins the police force under his new identity and rises to a senior rank? It's an interesting theory :)

Well here's the thing St Clair's family were miners and he's lived in that village his entire life so he didn't need to go under-cover he could have been a spy in plain sight but regardless there was definitely something between the two of policemen during the miner's strike, the bald guy was moved because of whatever it was happened.

Well here's the thing St Clair's family were miners and he's lived in that village his entire life so he didn't need to go under-cover he could have been a spy in plain sight but regardless there was definitely something between the two of policemen during the miner's strike, the bald guy was moved because of whatever it was happened.

But the spy was literally a cop? Specifically Keats in the group that included the bloke who just shot himself. Unless I am missing someting.

I think the thing between St. Clair and the met cop is just that both were young coppers during the strike and St. Clair was from that community and behaved decently but the Met cop was banging heads. And then St. Clair had to stay there and live with the legacy of the Met's behaviour but the Met guy just went back to London, only for some combination of the violence and his relationship with the local woman led him to the demons which derailed his career and life.

But the spy was literally a cop? Specifically Keats in the group that included the bloke who just shot himself. Unless I am missing someting.

I think the thing between St. Clair and the met cop is just that both were young coppers during the strike and St. Clair was from that community and behaved decently but the Met cop was banging heads. And then St. Clair had to stay there and live with the legacy of the Met's behaviour but the Met guy just went back to London, only for some combination of the violence and his relationship with the local woman led him to the demons which derailed his career and life.

No definitely something happened between them, didn't the bald guy say something along the lines of 'if it wasn't for you etc etc' then there's the explosive/fire flashbacks and the guy attacking him in the pub when he recognised him?

Wasn't that guy the guy who was attacked by the (Met) police?

Whatever it was it definitely messed him and his career up.

I'm still thinking the spy is St Clair or he's done something that's been covered up for years.

I'm going to watch episode four again tonight as I was a wee bit drunk watching it last night which is obvious from my recollection so far:D

Right so I watched the fourth episode again, this time sober:D

Anyway re the identity of the 'spy'?

There were five of them all named after the romantic poets and 'Keats' was a couple I think because BR refers to them as 'they' meaning more than one so Keats was a couple or at least two people so maybe even a family.

Bill Raggett or Robbie Platt was Blake.

Byron is a clue so he must be involved the pheasant was killed on the lawn at Byron's country pile and the NUM lawyer met the two police detectives there so massive clue from Scott and Raggett also wasn't Keats.

Helen St Clair I don't think is the spy because although she said that Salisbury knows her real name (he doesn't) she also said that when someone looks into her file then she's informed by people looking after her safety so possibly on a witness protection programme.

All of the spies had been given alternative identities and they used the names of dead children so it would be easy to check who the spies were by checking their names which would be that of a long dead child.

So there's four spies left Byron, Coleridge, Wordsworth and Keats, Raggett texted all of them before he topped himself.

I still think Ian St Clair is one of the spies possibly Keats and a relative, maybe his wife?

There's a huge clue in the poem quoted by Raggett I think.

Tony

I took the use of they as a way to avoid saying her. Although that would be a bit clumsy so Keats as a couple probably makes more sense.

The strongest evidence against Helen not being Keats is that it’s too early with two episodes to go to give that away. There kind of has to be another twist.

I've already decided who the Spy Cop is and you are all wide of the mark.

Anyroadup, as we who were raised within the sound of the Newstead Abbey Peacocks would say... It is far more important that the mining village to which my Great, Great Grandfather, Samuel moved in the1870s, actually got a mention in Episode 3. Quote: " She lives ovver ut Bestwood naahh.." Shakespeare? Paahh!!

I took the use of they as a way to avoid saying her. Although that would be a bit clumsy so Keats as a couple probably makes more sense.

Possibly Keats is the sparrows BR said that they, Keats, ‘were trouble’ and the sparrows are definitely trouble plus the guy was a cop.

Naming undercover spies in a mining community with the names of conspicuous sounding names of famous poets is not exactly low profile. The plot line seems to take a couple of real events then weave a plot line around them that is becoming more and more implausible. It’s a soap opera, entertaining enough, but not to be taken seriously

Naming undercover spies in a mining community with the names of conspicuous sounding names of famous poets is not exactly low profile. The plot line seems to take a couple of real events then weave a plot line around them that is becoming more and more implausible. It’s a soap opera, entertaining enough, but not to be taken seriously

No the weren’t named after the poets they were named after dead children, they had assumed the identities of long dead children the poets names were their code names they were all given those code names by Raggett

No the weren’t named after the poets they were named after dead children, they had assumed the identities of long dead children the poets names were their code names they were all given those code names by Raggett
My bad, apologies.

My bad, apologies.

Personally I don’t think it’s soap opera I think the spycops is what the series is really about and that’s really serious.

Raggett was in the village in 1984 we know this cause he was photographed at a violent event he was called Robbie Platt then Robbie Platt was ‘a long dead child from Peterborough’ Raggett was also Blake. Keats was there too but we don’t know who Keats is but the fact that they used the identities of dead children to spy on people is the real scandal.

Personally I don’t think it’s soap opera I think the spycops is what the series is really about and that’s really serious.

Raggett was in the village in 1984 we know this cause he was photographed at a violent event he was called Robbie Platt then Robbie Platt was ‘a long dead child from Peterborough’ Raggett was also Blake. Keats was there too but we don’t know who Keats is but the fact that they used the identities of dead children to spy on people is the real scandal.

Yes, very much agree. The spycops angle is an important one. I might have to get over my feelings about the plot line and change my attitude to the programme. The speech by the character played by Lindsay Duncan was powerful and spoke to modern issues of importance.

It covers very important ideas and events and it's good that such a mainstream programme is bringing them to a wider audience. But for me its about the people and the communities, both mining and police, and the effect that the politics of this era had on them, the area, their families and their relationships rather than the plot.

What happened in the night that nobody will talk about, who is the spy cop are entertaining but also the least interesting aspect of the show for me and really just a device with which to frame the exploration of these wider ideas. Which is fine because that is after all pretty much how drama works.

Yes, very much agree. The spycops angle is an important one. I might have to get over my feelings about the plot line and change my attitude to the programme. The speech by the character played by Lindsay Duncan was powerful and spoke to modern issues of importance.

Yes she touched on every one needing justice even the police.

If Helen St Clair is Keats then her husband has been living with an unknown person for forty years and as a result he is very much a victim that even a high ranking policeman would have been kept in the dark is pretty disturbing even more so the realisation that the person you’ve spent your entire married life with only used you to spy on your community.

advertisement

Back