advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arthur Scargill said he had been "deeply shocked by the tragedy" of Wilkie's death.[5], is what it says there, I've just copy and pasted it.
Indeed, I remember thatcher using exactly the same words to express her regret for destroying hundreds of communities, a whole way of life, and throwing honest and productive workers on the scrapheap. Something Scargill well understood. And Sick Ear doesn't.

Oh was I wrong about thatcher? She didn't?

Her and Sick Ear should get a room....

That's not always true. The Brixton uprising succeeded in drawing a lot of attention to the racist policing that community had suffered.

The Home Secretary, William Whitelaw, commissioned a public inquiry into the riot headed by Lord Scarman. The Scarman report was published on 25 November 1981. Scarman found unquestionable evidence of the disproportionate and indiscriminate use of 'stop and search' powers by the police against black people. As a consequence, a new code for police behaviour was put forward in the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984; and the act also created an independent Police Complaints Authority, established in 1985, to attempt to restore public confidence in the police.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Brixton_riot#Aftermath
Didn’t do a lot for Bradford & Liverpool but London is always a different thing, rather close to home for the MPs. Having said that, people of colour being treated disproportionately harshly by the criminal justice system is still very much a factor.

Indeed, I remember thatcher using exactly the same words to express her regret for destroying hundreds of communities, a whole way of life, and throwing honest and productive workers on the scrapheap. Something Scargill well understood. And Sick Ear doesn't.

Oh was I wrong about thatcher? She didn't?

Her and Sick Ear should get a room....
Who’s Sick Ear?

Never a fan of Scargill, his legal battle with the NUM over his Barbican Grace & favour flat summed him up.

The old NUM HQ in Sheffield laid empty for a good while, built at great expense when the union was in terminal design. It’s now a pitcher & piano;)

Didn’t do a lot for Bradford & Liverpool but London is always a different thing, rather close to home for the MPs. Having said that, people of colour being treated disproportionately harshly by the criminal justice system is still very much a factor.

I guess the Poll Tax riots would be another example - though opposition was so widespread it's hard to gauge how much of a role they played in the tax being scrapped.

Agree with you though that rioting tends to result in the poorest neighbourhoods bearing the brunt of the damage. And don't get me wrong - I'm not advocating it. I found the 2011 rioting when we were living in Camden pretty unsettling even though the damage was nothing like Tottenham or Croydon.

Mick Lynch really is doing a great job. Just gently pointing out to these people what absurd, pumped up clowns they all are, by refusing to take any responsibility for their peculiar view of the world. They’re completely bamboozled by it.

https://twitter.com/brokenbottleboy/status/1539162820956377088?s=21&t=D4VPoB4CzfUmppyzwcsAOA
I love watch him handle them. The meat shield whose name or job I neither know but who’s wheeled out to defend the indefensible presumably as penance or on the false promise of elevation by Boris, was on Newsnight last night and rapidly came undone before Lynch. Had that magic combination of utter incompetence and breathtaking arrogance.

Mick Lynch really is doing a great job. Just gently pointing out to these people what absurd, pumped up clowns they all are, by refusing to take any responsibility for their peculiar view of the world. They’re completely bamboozled by it.

I’m impressed just how solid his answers are and it is refreshing to see someone with the courage to actually call crooked Tory shit like “Shapps” etc out for obvious lying and propaganda spin.

Promising numbers here:

FVy0b5fXEAAbTeP

Even older voters are quite evenly split, and over 1/3 of Tory voters feel the strike is justified.

Of course, time is often the enemy of solidarity, but this is a good start.

I love watch him handle them. The meat shield whose name or job I neither know but who’s wheeled out to defend the indefensible presumably as penance or on the false promise of elevation by Boris, was on Newsnight last night and rapidly came undone before Lynch. Had that magic combination of utter incompetence and breathtaking arrogance.
That was a fun watch.

This government had an idea
And parliament made it law
It seems like it's illegal
To fight for the union any more

Which side are you on, boys?
Which side are you on?

We set out to join the picket line
For together we cannot fail
We got stopped by police at the county line
They said, "Go home boys or you're going to jail"

Which side are you on, boys?