advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could backfire if peoples Glasto plans are ruined.

I don’t have an issue with people striking, not sure it will be effective in this case & it’s always the workers who suffer the consequences.

The idea that riots are a potential good thing is frankly laughable. As long as it’s someone else’s windows being put through eh?

It seems to me to be an obvious move; there’s only X amount of laws, and most of what we pay lawyers for is to read through reams of boring shite so we don’t have to. Get the machines to do it, and we can all have a nice rest.

(Actually the last time I used a lawyer was more than 30 years ago, and even then, my company paid the bill).

I don’t have an issue with people striking, not sure it will be effective in this case & it’s always the workers who suffer the consequences.

The idea that riots are a potential good thing is frankly laughable. As long as it’s someone else’s windows being put through eh?
I’m not entirely sure what riots are intended/hoped to achieve. The most immediate outcome would probably be (even more) repressive legislation. I know that the theory is that sufficient repression would cause more unrest and ultimately revolution, but a) a lot of blood would be shed and b) there’s no guarantee that post-revolution we wouldn’t end up with even worse bastards in charge.

Traditionally the Glastonbury crowd would be largely in favour of the strikers, I'm not too sure of the crowd now.

It seems to me to be an obvious move; there’s only X amount of laws, and most of what we pay lawyers for is to read through reams of boring shite so we don’t have to. Get the machines to do it, and we can all have a nice rest.

(Actually the last time I used a lawyer was more than 30 years ago, and even then, my company paid the bill).

A lot of stuff isn’t black and white. Simple transactional stuff, fine but much of what decent lawyers do (and where they add the value) requires human judgment and experience and can’t operate like that.

I vaguely recall a quote from some legal bod: ‘In this country, every man is expected to know the law, apart from the judiciary, who are subject to appeal’.

I’d have thought that even the more nuanced legal stuff is to do with knowing about precedents and case law; it’s not as if the law is subjective or a matter of personal opinion. But, as they say, IANAL.

I’m not entirely sure what riots are intended/hoped to achieve. The most immediate outcome would probably be (even more) repressive legislation. I know that the theory is that sufficient repression would cause more unrest and ultimately revolution, but a) a lot of blood would be shed and b) there’s no guarantee that post-revolution we wouldn’t end up with even worse bastards in charge.
Just a bit of fun, Joe. People gotta let off a bit of steam sometimes.

Seriously, I'm not in favour of rioting. However, I think the worse people's living conditions get, the more likely riots become. And if rioting does occur, I will not piously condemn it.

And legal advice would be provided via AI.

That would be fun.

c5a4a8de11e5d5f7f70746347afcd716

I vaguely recall a quote from some legal bod: ‘In this country, every man is expected to know the law, apart from the judiciary, who are subject to appeal’.

I’d have thought that even the more nuanced legal stuff is to do with knowing about precedents and case law; it’s not as if the law is subjective or a matter of personal opinion. But, as they say, IANAL.

Nor am I (should have worked harder at school) but it depends what they are doing. A good corp / M&A lawyer is often more a commercial adviser and you can’t learn that in a textbook.

Just a bit of fun, Joe. People gotta let off a bit of steam sometimes.

Seriously, I'm not in favour of rioting. However, I think the worse people's living conditions get, the more likely riots become. And if rioting does occur, I will not piously condemn it.
The nearest I’ve been to a riot was in Lewisham back in the late 70s, when the National Front were stirring things up in various parts of London. At the time, I worked with a West Indian bloke who often travelled on the same train as me, though we went different ways from Lewisham station. One day he brought a cricket bat to work. ‘I didn’t know you played cricket, Mike’, I said. ‘I don’t’ he replied.

A lot of stuff isn’t black and white. Simple transactional stuff, fine but much of what decent lawyers do (and where they add the value) requires human judgment and experience and can’t operate like that.

You could easily apply a similar line of thought to train drivers.

You could easily apply a similar line of thought to train drivers.

You could, which is why they’re paid £60K a year. The difference is, the train only goes from A to B, that’s what it does and all it will ever do. Same as the argument for fully automated cars, they’re probably safer overall but how can you program a computer to decide to run over X instead of Y in an accident. All a train can do is go faster, slower or stop.

Nobody should be surprised that it's the Tory voting over-50s and especially the over 65s (who use the trains less or only occasionally) who mainly oppose the strikes, while younger people are supportive to neutral.The same people who are to receive above-inflation pension increases incidentally. I'm sick and tired of these people holding the country to ransom and effing up the future.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/economy/survey-results/daily/2022/06/08/d6f7e/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back