advertisement

Labour Leader: Keir Starmer VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or in other words... it's his choice.

Indeed it is, although he does have some fairly hefty commitments but again, that’s his choice. A friend has said it’s going to cost him, allowing for inflation and all the extras, £3M (after tax) to put his kids (5) through the schooling of his choice. Again, 100% his choice but I’d imagine it would focus the mind somewhat.

We're going backwards rapidly. I think we're the only G20 nation with delining life expectancy
I was reading some statistics for the effect on lives of the collapse of the Soviet Union and the “shock therapy” of deregulated markets, privatisation and removal of social protections in which the life expectancy of men dropped to 60 years old.

In her book The Shock Doctrine, Naomi Kline argues that with the adoption of Milton Friedmans neoliberal economics, we are doing something similar, but over a much more extended time frame, in the west.

A friend has said it’s going to cost him, allowing for inflation and all the extras, £3M (after tax) to put his kids (5) through the schooling of his choice.

No one said creating Tory w*nkers was going to be cheap. Absolute shit like Johnson or Rees Mogg takes real money to curl-out.

PS Has he considered a crowdfunder?

Indeed it is, although he does have some fairly hefty commitments but again, that’s his choice. A friend has said it’s going to cost him, allowing for inflation and all the extras, £3M (after tax) to put his kids (5) through the schooling of his choice. Again, 100% his choice but I’d imagine it would focus the mind somewhat.

Best of luck to him. No problem with talented people working hard and earning squillions. Up to him how he chooses to spend it.

Just not sure what relevance it has to lower paid workers fighting for better pay and conditions.

Why is working excessive hours considered a virtue? And more to the point, while working excessive hours produces handsome rewards for a few, why is it pushed as a virtue upon the many who do not get rewards? How has working longer and longer to get less and less in return become a target objective, a desired goal? How far can we go in this direction until we get close to slavery?

In a civilised world, we would be heading in the other direction.

IMHO it’s the infiltration and adoption of the US work ethic. When I moved from a UK to a US company in 2000, the change was quite remarkable. Energising, positive, forward looking, can do attitude. Work hard play hard, brilliant environment to thrive and progress. The downside is, it’s a young man’s game, you can’t function at that level of intensity forever and need to know when to step away. Divorce, ill health, burnouts, breakdowns, it all happened there as a direct result of the work ethic.

Best of luck to him. No problem with talented people working hard and earning squillions. Up to him how he chooses to spend it.

Just not sure what relevance it has to lower paid workers fighting for better pay and conditions.

Lower paid workers need some help IMHO. Train drivers on £50K plus? Sorry, resources should be allocated where it’s most required.

Why should anyone agree to a real terms pay cut to protect the profits of fat cat private companies? These 'entities' are simply living beyond their means on public subsidy.

Lower paid workers need some help IMHO. Train drivers on £50K plus? Sorry, resources should be allocated where it’s most required.
Surely the market will allocate resources. If impoverished rail company CEOs and shareholders aren't making enough as a result of fatcat workers' salaries, they're free to move their talent and their money elsewhere.

Surely the market will allocate resources. If impoverished rail company CEOs and shareholders aren't making enough as a result of fatcat workers' salaries, they're free to move their talent and their money elsewhere.

True. If we were a more advanced country, we wouldn’t need the drivers etc anyway as it would all be automated. It’s an inevitable outcome and just a question of when.

IMHO it’s the infiltration and adoption of the US work ethic. When I moved from a UK to a US company in 2000, the change was quite remarkable. Energising, positive, forward looking, can do attitude. Work hard play hard, brilliant environment to thrive and progress. The downside is, it’s a young man’s game, you can’t function at that level of intensity forever and need to know when to step away. Divorce, ill health, burnouts, breakdowns, it all happened there as a direct result of the work ethic.
Agree, but the work ethic is determined by the neoliberal economic model of Milton Friedman and adopted by Regan, Thatcher and the EU. It is the economic model of monetarism that only measures profits and does not measure the human fall out. So not only do we see the maximisation of working hours, but the reduction of working rights and conditions and an ever increasing rate of unemployment with it’s more recent manifestation in underemployment.

Milton Friedman once said that “only a crisis, real or perceived, produces real change” which is why we see the “shock therapy” of monetarism after the 70’s oil crisis and something similar in Russia with the collapse of the USSR.

Perhaps we need another crisis to see human rights, human values and lives, and the environment put at the centre of our economics instead of profits.

True. If we were a more advanced country, we wouldn’t need the drivers etc anyway as it would all be automated. It’s an inevitable outcome and just a question of when.
Easier for British companies to sweat assets, cut pay, suck on public funding and move profits offshore than invest in innovation. If that's what you're after you've backed the wrong horse.

Meanwhile, in la la land....

FVxVChHXsAUnXjj

Ain't you heard of the starving millions
Ain't you heard of contraception

You really want a program of sterilization?
Take control of the population boom!
It's in your living room
Keep a generation gap
Try wearing a cap

Strikes should be unlawful. End of. If you don’t like your pay and conditions, go and work elsewhere. That’s what my lawyer said to me yesterday but with less polite phraseology.
Trolltastic!! As the saying goes...

Or in short hand- you had to pull the finger out?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back