advertisement

Stock Market 2022

It’s meaningless these days. Anyone with a salary and a pulse can drive a new ‘exec’ car every few years. I more often than not find house value and car value are inversely proportional.

Well I couldn't, you still need to be on a above average wage- like mortgages they don't just give them to anyone willy nilly.

It’s meaningless these days. Anyone with a salary and a pulse can drive a new ‘exec’ car every few years. I more often than not find house value and car value are inversely proportional.
That's not the case with the Aston Marin owner. His house is the biggest and almost certainly the most expensive in the road. (I don't know how much Aston Martins go for these days, but I'm guessing they cost more than VW Polos).

£70k Porsche seems to be around a grand a month so about £15k of pre-tax salary assuming someone is on basic rate. That would be a big chunk of most people's income.

Well I couldn't, you still need to be on a above average wage- like mortgages they don't just give them to anyone willy nilly.

Car finance is incredibly easy to get. If the prime lenders won’t do it, plenty of others will. Dealers / manufacturers need to sell cars. In the old days, any large balance needed a look in the eye from the local underwriter. Now, it’s all credit score driven and pretty slack as it’s a secured asset.

Car finance is incredibly easy to get. If the prime lenders won’t do it, plenty of others will. Dealers / manufacturers need to sell cars. In the old days, any large balance needed a look in the eye from the local underwriter. Now, it’s all credit score driven and pretty slack as it’s a secured asset.

It's easy if you earn enough yes, you've still got to pay it.

I assumed you're much better off renting expensive cars because if it all goes south you can just hand them back and aren't left with a £100k+ millstone around your neck. Plus that money you've saved from buying it outright would be better off invested anyway, I thought all expensive cars were financed to some degree for this reason.

Yes, that was the line dealers were using in 2021..."Hey, take out our finance deal and invest the money you've saved...it's easy". Of course, many would have pumped that money into 2021's super hot stock market (and Crypto) so that plan has gone well.

The whole PCP era has allowed manufacturers to option the hell out of cars or push the crazy money SUV models as no one looks at sticker price anymore. There's also the simple fact many new cars are boring as dishwater to actually drive.

I know 'growth' is all dead and that (for now LOL) but surely the likes of EWI and SMT are worthwhile long term buys now.

I still don't understand why in 2021 so many thought growth was on the cards and were pricing shares accordingly.

I know 'growth' is all dead and that (for now LOL) but surely the likes of EWI and SMT are worthwhile long term buys now.

I still don't understand why in 2021 so many thought growth was on the cards and were pricing shares accordingly.

Probably for the same reasons that both of the main UK political parties were concerned only with investing 'the products of growth' just ahead of the 2008 financial crisis. Wishful thinking, plus greed.

Well, they’ve always been volatile and not designed to hold short term. Look at the long term graphs. Depends on your timeframe of course but this is where the innovation comes from, the pace of which is accelerating all the time. I’m looking 5 - 10 years from now and think it’s good to have a % of this stuff. If you believe in what they do and don’t buy when they’re down, when do you buy? As far as big tech is concerned, I feel it’s oversold. Big companies today who don’t continually invest will be small companies tomorrow. I know a lot of people in the sector and they are all flat out.

Well, they’ve always been volatile and not designed to hold short term. Look at the long term graphs. Depends on your timeframe of course but this is where the innovation comes from, the pace of which is accelerating all the time. I’m looking 5 - 10 years from now and think it’s good to have a % of this stuff. If you believe in what they do and don’t buy when they’re down, when do you buy? As far as big tech is concerned, I feel it’s oversold. Big companies today who don’t continually invest will be small companies tomorrow. I know a lot of people in the sector and they are all flat out.

Yes, I dipped my toe into them the last 6 months as they started to fold but held most back as it all seemed too frothy..

Yes, I dipped my toe into them the last 6 months as they started to fold but held most back as it all seemed too frothy..

Yes, I was well up, now well down. That’s just what it does and often quickly but I’m not really interested in that, I’ll look at it in 5 years.

The markets are nuts...they go from blue skies forever to total shit show in months.

I've always held the premise that the western world has just gone thru it's LEAST productive time in history so how come markets were so good. There was only one reason....Manipulation of money supply...I'm starting to buy back in now but with stuff only back to Feb 2020 levels I still don't really 'buy it' as the world economy wasn't all that great pre-Covid.

Well yes, you can’t print a ton of money without consequences. What I do know is that the world will keep turning, evolving and moving forward at unprecedented pace and I want to be a part of that. It makes my mind boggle what could happen over the next 20 years when you look at the changes over the last 20.

Well yes, you can’t print a ton of money without consequences. What I do know is that the world will keep turning, evolving and moving forward at unprecedented pace and I want to be a part of that. It makes my mind boggle what could happen over the next 20 years when you look at the changes over the last 20.

I sat watching my lad on his VR thing last night and kept thinking of this movie 'Brainstorm' I used to watch on VHS in the 80's

I said in the 2020 thread that we could be back to the 70's and it sure as hell feels alot like we are!

Energy prices, Inflation and Workforce Strikes are the buzzwords now...with a dose of dot com bust thrown in.

advertisement

Back