advertisement

Cranage Show 2022

Hi, was the living voice room, by definitive audio, with Kevin ? he really knows his stuff, and hi-fi,
It was SJS Acoustics, don't think Definitive were there. My only gripe with the LVs was I thought there was something a bit off tonally in the treble region, but then I thought that about most of the rooms tbh!

Not today, no. It was great to see him wearing the famous jacket from those “You really must hear this!” adverts all those years ago.
Here you go, from their facebook page (sorry, tad big!)...

289304558_5650686908283178_8357608301024280508_n.jpg

hi, i really think kevin- definitive need to make -develop a speaker above the LV's, maybe twice the price, the gap between these and their top Olympia is googlehofing , yes that is a word , it means planet large, :rolleyes: ps how much are the top of the line LV's with outboard crossover ??

Any observations on the Music First Audio room?
There was a suggestion they might be using a new speaker from EJ Jordan that is bigger than the Marlow speaker that has been reviewed in the major mags recently.

My highlight of the show was the Audiocouncel room listening to Leben/Devore Fidelity system. I could have stayed there all day...

hi, i really think kevin- definitive need to make -develop a speaker above the LV's, maybe twice the price, the gap between these and their top Olympia is googlehofing , yes that is a word , it means planet large, :rolleyes: ps how much are the top of the line LV's with outboard crossover ??

If they're the same pair they took to Munich (Santos Rosewood), £15,400.

It was SJS Acoustics, don't think Definitive were there. My only gripe with the LVs was I thought there was something a bit off tonally in the treble region, but then I thought that about most of the rooms tbh!

I think technically it was Simon's (SJS) room, so obviously his amps, but rest of the kit was Kevin's. Mr Scott was definitely there. Basically it was the Munich system minus the GPA Monaco and the BPS (I think). I think they just ran out of space in what I understand was a relatively small room. They also had active subs in Munich as well, but I'm guessing they weren't at Cranage, again space restrictions. "Yeah, the full system sounds amazing, unfortunately we can't fit any people in at the same time..."

Any observations on the Music First Audio room?
There was a suggestion they might be using a new speaker from EJ Jordan that is bigger than the Marlow speaker that has been reviewed in the major mags recently.
Longdog were using the Music First preamps. Sounded good.

As result of Steve’s (Koi) telephone call my friend and I reluctantly decided not to attend tomorrow. Lots of people in small unventilated rooms just too big a Covid risk especially as Sunday is likely to have an even greater attendance than a very busy Saturday.

After reading this I’m in two minds about going tomorrow o_O

There were some really good rooms. The room with the Kuzma/Living Voice was great, as was the room with the Voyd Reference/SME V into a triangular pair of speakers and never seen or heard of. They played QOTSA, too! Result. Audio Note was good and I really liked the YG Carmels. Longdog was superb, although I couldn’t live with the speakers looking like that. A real highlight was being able to catch up with Doug Brady, though. His shop is now 60 years old and whilst he’s not involved in the business any more, he stays in touch so the cake the organisers brought him was a lovely touch.
Thanks for the comment on the Longdog room, we're very happy with how the speakers sound. A pic for those that haven't seen them, they've certainly been a talking point-

SiCJleC.jpg

First hifi show I've enjoyed for some time. Reasonable sounds from most rooms. Standout sound for me had to Kuzma / SJS / Living Voice Obx?). I sat through a whole side of Mozart piano concerto completely entranced. Longdog Audio room was also sounding very natural. Superb timing and rhythm.

Thanks for the comment on the Longdog room, we're very happy with how the speakers sound. A pic for those that haven't seen them, they've certainly been a talking point-

SiCJleC.jpg
You’re welcome! There was a real sense of life to them and the Depeche Mode covers record you were playing was great.

Full disclosure: I own Accuphase/Vertere/Avalon/Musicworks.

I enjoyed: the above, plus the very eccentric Funk Firm set up, World Audio and a couple where I couldn't quite work out what was what.

I didn't enjoy so much: Chord electronics, Rega 8, Linn streaming and some comically over-the-top speaker designs and bling setups. Hideous.

I'm not sure how much was the music, the room, the levels of chatter.

I really enjoyed the day and thank the organisers and exhibitors for their efforts.

advertisement

Back