advertisement

Upgrading CD player and streaming

Garth

pfm Member
Hi Folks,

I have a node 2i which I really enjoy for casual listening. Most of my serious listening is with my Thorens TD 124. Years ago I had the original rega planet which one of my children broke. Don't ask.... :)

I replaced that with a longtime loner Rotel O6-SE Cd Player. I also have a cambridge Azur 540D for DVD's which can also play CD's. I find that even my very modest Rotel CD player edges the node 2i listening to locally burned CD's played through the node and even more so compared to streaming tidal. For lack of a better word I find the performance of the Rotel somewhat threadbare and edgy, the same music burned and streamed though the node is sometimes preferable sometimes not, streaming tidal is never as good as either. Not a big issue for casual listening.

I still have many CD's and am considering getting a used CD player to get more enjoyment from them. I don't want to spend a ton of money and there is an Apollo R available used for $500 CAD I thought might fit the bill. I am wondering what kind of improvements I might see and if there are issues I should be concerned about with the Apollo.

I am wondering if the other option might be to get a used DAC and use either the rotel or cambridge as a transport?

I really don't want to spend more than $500 CAD and I prefer an analog like sound or over something that might be more detailed but sound thin.

Would love to get some input!

Thanks.
Garth

Resolution Audio Opus 21. Might need to crank the budget up a little, but it would be in a different class to anything else and gives you a decent digital input as well.

Resolution Audio Opus 21. Might need to crank the budget up a little, but it would be in a different class to anything else and gives you a decent digital input as well.

Sounds great! Please let me know where I can snap one of those up within my budget of about $500 CAD!

Sounds great! Please let me know where I can snap one of those up within my budget of about $500 CAD!

Perhaps I'm over-estimating the buying power of the Canadian dollar. (That's okay, our currency will soon be completely worthless, so it's all relative). But it's still what I'd buy for under a grand (GBP) so it might warrant further investigation?

Perhaps I'm over-estimating the buying power of the Canadian dollar. (That's okay, our currency will soon be completely worthless, so it's all relative). But it's still what I'd buy for under a grand (GBP) so it might warrant further investigation?

Thanks. $500 CAD s about £300. :)

You will struggle to get an opus for your price. If you can, try a marantz cd85, 94 or cd 960. The latter two will be a stretch but if you can, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks. $500 CAD s about £300. :)

If the budget won't stretch, then the Rega's likely a good bet. My other long-term favourite is the CEC TL51 series, which if IIRC were originally imported into Canada by Mutine. I assume they would be willing to support older players which they originally sold, although again it would require a degree of flexibility with the budget. Hey, it's only money...

Anyway, good luck with the hunt.

I had a new Rotel CD14 MKII until recently.
It sounded very good, but unfortunately it is mechanically junk.
After replacing the drive, the problems are still there.
The Rotel is going back, and now a Rega Apollo CDP is coming soon, and I hope it's better.

The Rotel is going back, and now a Rega Apollo CDP is coming soon, and I hope it's better.
Shame that this seems to be a problem now. My retro Rotel is built like a tank.Really robust.

My feeling is that as companies have gravitated towards other less costly and more eco friendly? materials longevity has faltered. On paper these new plastics etc. may be lighter and just as strong but they appear to add flex to the chassis and mountings and this must be problematic for alignment etc.

I think they were a bit of a ‘go to’ for their build, value and sound at one point.

Yep have to agree having had Rotel rcd 855, 955 and 956 they are fairly well built. Only thing I had to do was belts.
965 has an amazing wide and expansive soundstage as said. The 855 is a project if I ever get the time.
The 955 albeit with some tasteful modifications via S-Man of this parish is still my current player.
To put in context that has seen off a rega Apollo last of the full width case type, a couple of Marantz players.
Very modest set up Nait XS the 955 and a pair of Ruark Templar, but very enjoyable.

I like the build quality of the Rotel stuff and the flexibility of digital out.

I have a rega DAC but not yet used it as I enjoy what I have, but if you like the Rega sound that could be an option, use your existing cd player or pick up an older built like a tank player even with a basic service might suit your needs?

My feeling is that as companies have gravitated towards other less costly and more eco friendly? materials longevity has faltered. On paper these new plastics etc. may be lighter and just as strong but they appear to add flex to the chassis and mountings and this must be problematic for alignment etc.
Rough translation - 'They don't make em like that anymore'.;)

I would be interested to hear how your Apollo compares when you get it. There is a used rotel CD14 available through a dealer for $800 but I would not want to risk it after what you said. I have to admit, part of the appeal of CD's is actually interacting with the media. My old Planet was a joy in this regard. Loved the top loading and warm analog like sound. I hate flimsy CD trays that rattle etc.

Yep have to agree having had Rotel rcd 855, 955 and 956 they are fairly well built. Only thing I had to do was belts.
965 has an amazing wide and expansive soundstage as said. The 855 is a project if I ever get the time.
The 955 albeit with some tasteful modifications via S-Man of this parish is still my current player.
To put in context that has seen off a rega Apollo last of the full width case type, a couple of Marantz players.
Very modest set up Nait XS the 955 and a pair of Ruark Templar, but very enjoyable.

I like the build quality of the Rotel stuff and the flexibility of digital out.

I have a rega DAC but not yet used it as I enjoy what I have, but if you like the Rega sound that could be an option, use your existing cd player or pick up an older built like a tank player even with a basic service might suit your needs?

the following Rotel CD players are currently available here in Canada.tribute CD11/$450, 855/$225, CD-11/$350, 1060 CD-DVD/$190, 1070/$420, 940-AX/$245. All prices CAD. Any gems in there? You mentioned an 855.?

Thanks,
Garth

Still have my 855 from 1988 or 1989. Needs a belt and has at least one leaky PS cap that I need to attend to. Not sure how common that is though as I left it on most of the time. Eventually replaced with a Quad 99 CDP-2 though I have kept the 855.
Haven’t heard the others, but I can recommend the 855.

advertisement

Back