advertisement

hot hot hot - tips for keeping cool

Could be worse if you were travelling on the tube

289180570_2986500711652033_229742129250248524_n.jpg

Reminds me of the old Two Ronnies forecast. "It will be dry in Rye, cool in Goole...and if you live in Lissingdowne...don't forget your umbrella ..."

P.S. Just clouded over here and temperature plummeting. That's another Summer done...

Forecast is 39° tomorrrow where I am in France which means it'll be well over 40°- won't be going far.:eek:

Doesn't help, sorry: the curtains get warm and radiate heat to the rest of the room. You have to keep the sun rays out with an outside blind, shutters or an awning.

Not if they have reflective lining and you keep the window open.

But yes, shutters or a blinds would be better.

Not if they have reflective lining and you keep the window open.

But yes, shutters or a blinds would be better.
The reflective lining reflects to air or surfaces that are inside your room, so doesn't help.
Also, if you keep the window open, wouldn't that let the hot outside air into the room, defeating the purpose?
(I assume it is hotter outside than inside, and that the objective is to keep cool air inside the room and hot air outside).

The reflective lining reflects to air or surfaces that are inside your room, so doesn't help.
Also, if you keep the window open, wouldn't that let the hot outside air into the room, defeating the purpose?
(I assume it is hotter outside than inside, and that the objective is to keep cool air inside the room and hot air outside).

On a random sample of one, I kept the (light) curtains drawn on the bedroom which has an East-facing window. It was cooler in there than it was the day before when I drew them as soon as I got up.

Seems it can work, but the rough rule is light curtains work and dark curtains make things worse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-33333099
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...elp-house-cool-actually-make-home-hotter.html

On a random sample of one, I kept the (light) curtains drawn on the bedroom which has an East-facing window. It was cooler in there than it was the day before when I drew them as soon as I got up.

Seems it can work, but the rough rule is light curtains work and dark curtains make things worse.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-33333099
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money...elp-house-cool-actually-make-home-hotter.html
If it works for you in your setup, all is well.

After a day at work, coming home to a 28c sitting room is a blessed relief.

Just think how other countries deal with having more than a single day of summer weather, I'm sure we'll muddle through.

A few years ago when there was a life-threatening heatwave(!) we bought this eight inch cube of air-conditioning for gullible internet users that runs off USB for about twenty quid. If you use ice cubes in the fluid tank it works really well. Just having it cooling your face from three feet seems to have more effect than seems possible so it must have some psychological effect as well. Far better than just a fan anyway.
It’s been hazy most of the day and breezy. I spent the afternoon upto my knees in a shady stream fishing so no problems here in sunny cornwall :)

What about if you set fire to the curtains? Might they then act to draw warm oxygen away from the room? Taking away the warm oxygen to fuel the fire? Thus cooling the room?

Perhaps the OP (who is very keen to try anything and everything to keep cool) could do an experiment in his lounge and get back to us?

A pal in Italy used to hose the roof of his house liberally, once the hottest part of the day was over. Might be frowned upon if your local reservoir is low however.

Us Brits know that you've got to drink a large mug of boiling-hot liquid to cool you down in hot weather, it's a scientific fact. Oh, and don't forget to light a large charcoal barbecue & all stand round it while you burn some chicken.

Forecast is 39° tomorrrow where I am in France which means it'll be well over 40°- won't be going far.:eek:

Gosh, where are you? I remember being in Montpellier for a terrible heat wave in 2019. But somehow today in London, though cooler than Montpellier back then, feels no less oppressive. Plus - I don’t have air conditioning at home!

Us Brits know that you've got to drink a large mug of boiling-hot liquid to cool you down in hot weather, it's a scientific fact. Oh, and don't forget to light a large charcoal barbecue & all stand round it while you burn some chicken.
Ha ha, just done that tonight.
Reminded me why I hate barbecues!

advertisement

Back