advertisement

hot hot hot - tips for keeping cool

3500.jpg

UK news
Beat the heat: how to stay cool in hot weather

UK authorities have issued a health alert after temperatures were forecast to top 30C on Friday. Here are some tips on how to stay safe

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jun/17/beat-heat-cool-hot-weather-uk-health

Come and sit in my garage, it's only 21C in there. I'm not sure that my coffee will pass muster, it's supermarket ground and stainless steel cafetiere, but it's what I've got and you can have as much as you want.

PM your address! (Leeds isnt it) I dont mind a cafetiere. I am not rude enough to reject a coffee. So long as it isnt instant.....

Come and sit in my garage, it's only 21C in there. I'm not sure that my coffee will pass muster, it's supermarket ground and stainless steel cafetiere, but it's what I've got and you can have as much as you want.
It’s only 22C in my living room!

52153035294_bc1822cf44.jpg

Losing weight is an excellent way to stay cool, IME. I haven’t been hot and sweaty once since shedding a couple of stone last year. I took a glass of cold brew outside an hour ago and felt comfier wearing a waistcoat in the stiff breeze.

On the other hand we could just wait for tomorrow, when it won’t be hot. Then we can complain about the unseasonably cool weather.

I really dont get the media panic, its 32c ffs hardly death valley.

true nor the close on 50 i experienced in Kuwait.....but our houses are designed to retain heat, and people are feeling uncomfortable.

Louise's laptop keeps overheating and shutting down. My desktop is running ok, as is the NUC

Only 15 degrees and pissing down in Galloway so no need to worry myself about keeping cool, now cleaning the fire out and setting it for lighting later on.

22C chez moi in the west facing rooms. 25 in the others. Conservatory is a 30-odd degree hellhole, I've got the door open and I've left the cacti to tough it out.

Just been out cycling down the canal paths for a couple of hours. Enough of a breeze not to be too hot, really nice actually.

PS I saw someone walking a cat on a lead. A cat. On a lead. Actually happened.

Some good tips on keeping cool.

A few more that the OP may find useful.

a) Don't wear a hat, coat, scarf, gloves, jumper, cardigan, etc. They make you feel hotter.
b) Don't turn your central heating on. Or any other heaters, for that matter. Not needed when the weather is this hot.
c) Don't cook a roast dinner. Will heat up the kitchen.

Just been out cycling down the canal paths for a couple of hours. Enough of a breeze not to be too hot, really nice actually.

PS I saw someone walking a cat on a lead. A cat. On a lead. Actually happened.

Are you sure the cat wasn't simply towing staff to it's prefered location? Or delivering 'it' to mouser training central? ;)

John

Home is currently sat at a toasty 28 deg C:

UfFlgDSl.png

Thankfully I'm in the office today with air con but I know that it's going to be a pain to try and cool my place down this evening before I go to bed...

Edit: windows are shut and blinds are down to try and minimise heat coming in. It's clearly not working.

Always amuses me. A couple of days over 20C, which most of us have patiently waited half the year for and people are in a panic

OK. If you are stuck in an inner city apartment without a/c especially if you are ill or disabled, you need to take care. The rest? Just chill..literally. Relax into it, stop flapping about waving fans etc. Avoid booze during the day. Wear as little as you can get away with and stay out of direct sunlight.

All above said I'm posting this au naturel..from my sun lounger at Mull Towers. It's a mere 26 ish here with a nice breeze.
It will be much cooler by evening and 15 degrees and pissing down by tomorrow.
Don't waste it...

advertisement

Back