advertisement

BBC 1 SHERWOOD. 5 star heads up.

Well we lasted to the end of ep1 - the Mrs thought the acting was wooden. Plot was too slow and not for us.

So, you’ve watched it for 30 minutes. Some of the finest acting talent on these shores, a great script etc…..

yes and we continued to the end of ep1. Doesn't do it for us. Plot didn't engage us at all. Yes the cast might be stellar, but the plot is everything. Mrs thought some of the acting was wooden and staid

I'm intrigued by the plot and the way it is developing complexity. I will follow it to the end. I think the characters will develop as we get further into the story.

I'm intrigued by the plot and the way it is developing complexity. I will follow it to the end. I think the characters will develop as we get further into the story.

Aye I like it too. I don't think the murdered NUM man was all sweetness and light and morally upstanding.

I think there's something pretty dodgy in his background, could he have been a MET plant/stoodge?

Well it is about two terrible murders one of which was a father who murdered his daughter weeks after giving her away then he himself starved himself to death before his trial.

I had studiously avoided googling the plot. Oh well.

Well it is about two terrible murders one of which was a father who murdered his daughter weeks after giving her away then he himself starved himself to death before his trial.

Actually..it isn't. It is clearly billed as 'inspired by..' The first real murder was by someone who was mentally ill. We don't yet know who did the first murder in the drama
The second real murder was as described above. A father murdered his own daughter.
In the drama the murder is committed by the father in law.

I'd purposely not read up on the background!

Well it's not exactly a secret I remember the crossbow killing don't recall the second murder or the guy subsequently starving himself to death though, he was on hunger strike for nearly two years, but that wouldn't have made the news up here.

Wasn't there a farmer murdered recently (about 2016 or so) by a nut job with a crossbow too?

Plot didn't engage us at all.

Well, after episode 2, I'm not sure of the plot either, but that's the beauty of a slowly increasing whodunnit. This drama is quite understated and, I note with hindsight, it isn't ruined by inappropriate and annoyingly loud 'music'. Quality acting, coherent diction and enjoyable pace of events.

There was a French many-parter crime drama within the past 6 months or so which unfolded very slowly yet was utterly gripping. Can't recall the name but this Sherwood smacks of that kind of drama.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...murder-terence-whall-gerald-corrigan-anglesey I think this is what you are referring to. Fascinating and whilst I couldn't find any links I'd care to share here there was a fraud case sometime after the murder trial which perhaps gave some background to the murder.

Thanks yes that was the murder I was thinking about. And, yes absolutely fascinating, I'm always amazed at how some people think they'll never be caught for something, we leave digital traces everywhere we go, this old guy's murderer was caught by the software in a car he tried to destroy, the software even told the police when he opened his boot, I bet there's very few people aware that their car contains that sort of information.

Don't think there's any doubt that it was a professional assassination, is the fraud case concluded?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...n-order-history-led-police-to-crossbow-killer

Fraud case collapsed apparently.

Well, after episode 2, I'm not sure of the plot either, but that's the beauty of a slowly increasing whodunnit. This drama is quite understated and, I note with hindsight, it isn't ruined by inappropriate and annoyingly loud 'music'. Quality acting, coherent diction and enjoyable pace of events.

There was a French many-parter crime drama within the past 6 months or so which unfolded very slowly yet was utterly gripping. Can't recall the name but this Sherwood smacks of that kind of drama.

The missing and or Baptiste?

I've just started watching the Dublin Murders on BBC Iplayer its absolutely brilliant.

Apologies for going off topic .

Spiral?

Actually..it isn't. It is clearly billed as 'inspired by..' The first real murder was by someone who was mentally ill. We don't yet know who did the first murder in the drama
The second real murder was as described above. A father murdered his own daughter.
In the drama the murder is committed by the father in law.

Aye but there's similarities wrt the murdered woman in the drama, she had just been married and her father in law, who has apparently murdered her, gave her away also her own dad wasn't at the wedding because he was a 'scab' :)

Maybe its just me, perhaps it was the sound but I thought the spade incident was rather funny.....in an Inside No9 kinda way..

advertisement

Back