advertisement

BBC 1 SHERWOOD. 5 star heads up.

Mike Reed

pfm Member
Can't imagine fishies not knowing about the quality of this new drama (2/6 so far?) but this one is a cut above, with a superb cast. I'm totally enthralled and I guess Nottingham and district members would find this historically relevant.

There has already been some 'controversy' over "Notts Forest". The author has said he used the term for several reasons, but not sure what they are.
I was reminded a few weeks ago by a fan that I know that it is "Notts County and Nottingham Forest, NOT Notts Forest" :oops:

Mike, already mentioned by yours truly here: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/film-and-tv-chat-in-general.262419/page-10#post-4710452

Interesting that the first murder victim spoke of 'Notts Forest'. I doubt many true Nottinghamians would use that term. It's Nottm Forest. Also several actors spoke about somebody 'firing arrows'. That might be used colloquially, but no archer 'fires' arrows. They are shot. Guns are fired.
Or the 'tricky trees' iirc from my years living in Nottm :)

There's no doubt that the diminutive of Nottingham is Nottm.
However, in another place I'm told that some fans have used Notts Forest for decades.
There seems some confusion surrounding the 'inspired by' tag. The mother of one of the actual murder victims saying she wanted nothing to do with it but feeling she 'had to watch to see what they are saying about us'
Another local calling it 'codswallop'.

Last edited:
Perhaps the incorrect use of "Notts Forest" is rather telling about the victim?
Mike, already mentioned by yours truly here: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/film-and-tv-chat-in-general.262419/page-10#post-4710452

Interesting that the first murder victim spoke of 'Notts Forest'. I doubt many true Nottinghamians would use that term. It's Nottm Forest. Also several actors spoke about somebody 'firing arrows'. That might be used colloquially, but no archer 'fires' arrows. They are shot. Guns are fired.
Maybe you've nailed it.

To add to the confusion, Nottm Forest's 'City Ground' is just outside the City, whilst Notts County's ground is within the City boundary.

Forest seem to be named for their original ground, the Forest Recreation Ground at Forest Fields... in the City and the current site of Nottm Goose Fair. The City Ground is outside the city boundary, but was apparently named in honour of Nottm achieving City status.

Ground history

Period
Ground Location
1865 – 1878 Forest Recreation Ground Forest Fields
1879 – 1880 Castle Ground The Meadows
1880 – 1882 Trent Bridge Cricket Ground West Bridgford
1882 – 1885 Parkside Ground Lenton
1885 – 1890 Gregory Ground Lenton
1890 – 1898 Town Ground The Meadows
1898 – City Ground West Bridgford

There has already been some 'controversy' over "Notts Forest". The author has said he used the term for several reasons, but not sure what they are.
I was reminded a few weeks ago by a fan that I know that it is "Notts County and Nottingham Forest, NOT Notts Forest" :oops:

According to my old man who listens to radio Nottingham religiously, it has been full of moaning Minnie's phoning in all day about stuff like this, I'm sure when a drama is set somewhere like this 50% of the locals only tune in to pick fault and see if they recognise streets/houses/places etc.

I had read about Sherwood living very local to where it is set and clearly remembering the crimes it is based on, but I've not seen any of it yet.

My understanding is that the diminutive of Nottingham is Nottm, whereas the diminutive of Nottinghamshire is Notts.

Got it stored, ready to watch when we finish 'We Own This City' on Sky. Great cast by the looks of things. When I lived in the North I think we always called them Notts Forest and Notts County. I can't say I've noticed either way in the South. You would have thought the writer would have done enough research to know the correct phrasing. I won't be letting it detract from my enjoyment.

Cheers BB

Sorry, Mull; I was surprised this hadn't come up, but hadn't been into that thread. I quiver at your interestingly pedantic (but no doubt accurate) comments re. arrows as I would have fired them, just to be shafted by you! :)

halfway through episode 1 and we are finding it tediously boring....some odd continuity......think we might give up

advertisement

Back