advertisement

HiFi Choice A5 Best Buy Booklets

orbscure

My God, its full of stars...
Good morning all... as many of you may know, these HiFi Choice A5 booklets were published between 1975 and 1987, so can anybody confirm if the list is correct, fill in the two missing entries and confirm if No.55 the last of the A5 format?

No.01 CassetteDecks
No.02 Receivers
No.03 Loudspeakers
No.04 Cassette Decks and Tapes
No.05 Turntables & Cartridges
No.06 Amplifiers
No.07 Receivers
No.08 Music Centers
No.09 Tuners
No.10 Loudspeakers
No.11 Cassette Decks
No.12 Turntables & Tonearms
No.13 Cartridges and Headphones
No.14 Amplifiers
No.15 Loudspeakers
No.16 ??
No.17 Cassette Decks and Tapes
No.18 Turntables and Tonearms
No.19 Receivers, Tuners & Amplifiers
No.20 Cartridges and Headphones
No.21 Loudspeakers
No.22 Cassette Decks and Tapes
No.23 Stereo Systems and Accessories
No.24 Turntables and Tonearms
No.25 Amplifiers
No.26 Loudspeakers
No.27 Systems, Racks & Minis
No.28 Cartridges and Headphones
No.29 Cassette Decks and Tapes
No.30 Turntables and Tonearms
No.31 Loudspeakers
No.32 Cassette Decks and Tapes
No.33 Amplifiers and Stereo Tuners
No.34 ??
No.35 Turntables & Compact Disc Units
No.36 Loudspeakers
No.37 Cassette Decks and Tapes
No.38 Cartridges & Accessories
No.39 Amplifiers & Stereo Tuners
No.40 CD Players & Turntables
No.41 Loudspeakers
No.42 Cassette Decks
No.43 Cartridges & Turntables
No.44 Amplifiers & Stereo Tuners
No.45 Compact Disc Players
No.46 Loudspeakers
No.47 Cassette Decks & Tapes
No.48 Turntables, Arms & Cartridges
No.49 The Collection
No.50 Amplifiers & Tuners
No.51 CD Players
No.52 Cassette Decks & Tapes
No.53 Loudspeakers
No.54 CD & Midi Systems
No.55 Turntables & Cartridges

Many thanks in advance
Pete

I don’t know, but you might want to ask some kind soul to move your thread to the Audio section of the forum, where it might get the attention it deserves.

Just checked the small number that I have and can confirm the titles of no's. 18, 24, 33, 36, 46 & 48 in your list to be correct.

I don't know the answers to the other questions unfortunately.

Roll up, roll up... anybody able to fill in the gaps or answer any of the other questions..? Many thanks in advance...

Just checked again and can also confirm no's. 5 and 14 of your list to be correct.

Hopefully someone will be along soon to confirm a few more, particularly those missing ones 16 and 34!

Many thanks... I'm pretty confident the list I have is correct, its these pesky gaps and not knowing if No.55 was the last in this A5 format...

I’ve had a rummage in my collection and can confirm that Number 16 is Stereo systems and Accessories::

72Pwaw4.jpg

Number 34 is Complete Stereo Systems:

Rfwywn9.jpg

I had quite a few at one time, but I must have given them away or thrown them out? I can only find number 24 that I confirms as Turntables and Tonearms by Martin Colloms. I must have only kept this as it has unfavourable reviews of both the Syrinx PU2 Tone arm that I owned at one time (and liked a lot) and the Trio L-07D turntable that I still own and have run without problems since 1981 and it still to be better than most ‘oligarch buyers’ turntables I have heard. :p

Thanks Adam and Jim... your input is very much appreciated :)

All I need to know now is was No.55 the last of the A5 format?

Just to add a bit of confusion.

I have copies of "The Collection" which is un-numbered and "The Collection II" which is number 49. Both are A4.

Inside the Collection II there is a list of back copies and future editions and 54 and 55 differ from the list. Perhaps they changed their mind later in the year.

Image01 — Postimages (postimg.cc)

Just to add a bit of confusion.

I have copies of "The Collection" which is un-numbered and "The Collection II" which is number 49. Both are A4.

Inside the Collection II there is a list of back copies and future editions and 54 and 55 differ from the list. Perhaps they changed their mind later in the year.

Image01 — Postimages (postimg.cc)

Many thanks for that... the Collection volume (49) is indeed listed towards the end of the run and at least they added volume numbers in their later issue adverts. I've just managed to secure a large number of the issues I was missing and once I have enough posts, I'll post my wants to the Classified. The latest edition I now have is No.52 and the "order your copies" pager is very similar to the scan kindly provided in the previous post.

The Collection II (49) is one I'm missing, but the unnumbered The Collection has slipped under my radar. Any chance of a front scan and confirmation as to what year is was published? The year it was published should enable me to add it on my list.

The unnumbered Best Buy Guide listed during the 1986 run between No.46 & 47 is also of interest, so if anybody can throw any light on that edition, that'd be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks again... so just for clarification, is that front showing The Collection or The Collection II? My guess is that its the first... so sorry to be a pain, but any chance of a scan of the cover of the one its not :)

As for 56, I'm not even sure if that exists as an A5 booklet, I've not found any mention past No.55... its really the final unanswered question I have...

advertisement

Back