advertisement

Injured cat

Jimin

pfm Member
Hello all

A little advice is needed, please. Our ten year old cat was found motionless, with what turned out to be fractured ribs, last Wednesday. His legs are limp, though can flex and scrabble them a little.

Has anyone else experienced such a situation? We are wondering if, with time, whatever damage, whether physical, to his nerves, or the effects of shock, will wear off, and he will regain the use of his limbs.

He doesn't seem to be in pain, and we're putting him through the exercises the vet recommended. I know that time will tell, but any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Jim

Surely the vet is best to advise here? Cats are very poor at telling you they are in pain, so don’t assume he isn’t. If in even the slightest doubt another vet visit is in order IMHO.

Yes of course, we are regularly taking him to the vet. He is on medication and being properly looked after. I was just hoping for some encouragement, really - the vet is very efficient but not hugely empathic.

Hi Jim

one of our cats lost the use of 1 front leg completely (we never knew why, ?fall?trauma). After a week or 2 of pain killers/ anti-inflammatories he was back to normal. So recovery is possible in some cases.

regards

Kevin

Hit by a car?

You can usually tell by the claws being broken/chiped as they put them out upon impact

Last edited:
Thanks for supportive words, all. We're trying hard not to speculate about the cause of the injuries, and are focusing on rehabilitation. For what it's worth, his only physical injuries are two fractured ribs - no broken or chipped claws, no missing fur, no abrasions.

Part of the family, aren't they?

I hope your cat makes a full recovery. About 10 years ago one of our cats was hit by a car and lost mobility in his tail. For a week or so it was touch and go whether the spine damage would cause him to become incontinent (we would have had to have him put down) but he recovered OK, so the vet amputated his (limp) tail and he lived another 5 years. He was a lovely cat - 22lbs of tom cat muscle, but a big softy when in the house (fortunately - he could have inflicted some damage if he'd been aggressive).

Our current cat is going on 16 and arthritis has slowed him down a lot, but he seems healthy. He ate a piece of plastic when just a year old and needed to have part of his intestine removed ($$$$) but he's been fine ever since.

Thanks for supportive words, all. We're trying hard not to speculate about the cause of the injuries, and are focusing on rehabilitation. For what it's worth, his only physical injuries are two fractured ribs - no broken or chipped claws, no missing fur, no abrasions.

Part of the family, aren't they?
Absolutely they are. We have dogs, but I completely empathise. Hope yours is on the mend and recovers well soon.

I hope your cat makes a full recovery. About 10 years ago one of our cats was hit by a car and lost mobility in his tail. For a week or so it was touch and go whether the spine damage would cause him to become incontinent (we would have had to have him put down) but he recovered OK, so the vet amputated his (limp) tail and he lived another 5 years. He was a lovely cat - 22lbs of tom cat muscle, but a big softy when in the house (fortunately - he could have inflicted some damage if he'd been aggressive).

Our current cat is going on 16 and arthritis has slowed him down a lot, but he seems healthy. He ate a piece of plastic when just a year old and needed to have part of his intestine removed ($$$$) but he's been fine ever since.

I had the same experience with one of my cats, Harry, when he was about three years old. His imperial majesty is now 12 and going strong, living a full, happy life and making the world a much more pleasant place to be.

Best wishes you jimin your furry overlord making a full recovery.

Hi all

Thanks for all the good wishes, they're all super appreciated. I didn't realise how fond I was of the wee chap until he became so ill.

Quick update, Tim's slowly regaining the use of his limbs, he can support himself on his front legs, he's grooming himself, there is movement in his tail. It's quite amazing watching him coming back to himself, though it's still not certain if he will be able to regain his mobility. He's fighting, though, and we're giving him lots of physiotherapy and pampering.

Fingers crossed!

advertisement

Back