advertisement

Island Records: Chris Blackwell at 84

Just started reading Island Life. Didn’t realise his early life was real, Ripping Yarns, Boy’s Own stuff- hobnobbing with Errol Flynn, Ian Fleming and Noel Coward. Blackwell makes no attempt to pretend he wasn’t born into colonial opulence and privilege (didn’t know his family owned Appleton’s Estate rum distillery) but his loathing for the racism of the plantocracy and his affinity with black Jamaicans their music shines through. Great stuff.

Never met him, but passed his shop probably hundreds of times when I lived in the Grove.

The black community considered that he was ripping them off when hew was promoting them. That was in the srvtie

Never met him though I passed his shop probably hundreds of times when I was living in The Grove.

The black community considered that he was ripping them off. In fact, he was promoting them, though I can't say whether in terms of money he was fair.

Yeah maybe, no idea of the financial arrangement between Island and the Jamaican artists it carried, but it’s undeniable that Blackwell was instrumental in popularising Jamaican music and introducing the white rock crowd to reggae.

Great article on a label with one of the most astonishingly brilliant rosters of all time. Just look at the roll call of talent reeled off. And he passed up on Pink Floyd and Elton John. Can’t believe Blackwell is now 84. Makes you feel sooooo old.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...is-blackwell-im-interested-in-whats-different

Passed his shop many times when I lived in The Grove.

The black community said he was ripping them off. I don't know whether this was fair comment. I do know that they also said this about another promoter in The Grove. They manhandled this second one (once).

They [The Community] had a huge chip on their shoulder. Quite understandable. Many were acting like 'A Law Unto Themselves': or so it seemed at times. They were treated, often, by some of the locals and some of police as if they were savages.

I got along well with many of them, probably because I got involved with the carnival committee, took part in carnival, and played as a musician with some prominent Grove musicians.

I regret I didn't pop in to see Blackwell.

Yup, great read; and full of TIL moments, even for a long time Island Records fan.
Warm Leatherette and Nightclubbing both recorded in a session lasting just over a week - pretty gobsmacking.

Fascinating read - highly recommended. @eguth I had no idea he had a shop in Ladbroke Grove - when was this?

I chose the wrong word to describe the Island building. Not a shop. I assumed, wrongly, that this would not be taken literally. As I said, my remarks relate to the 70s- mostly in the early 70s.

advertisement

Back