advertisement

Retirement Destinations?

Perfection is patchy but i've found the NHS very good on the whole.

Recently? Luckily I haven't needed them, but judging from some of the horror stories I'm hearing from friends and relatives, I sincerely hope that I can remain healthy.

Every time I look at the title of the thread this sort of image comes to mind.

I’m being overly sensitive as I retire very soon…
LtapBq1fLsbEsrfd8

Not many places, but my post wasn't a criticism of the NHS per se, I worked there for 38 years. The problem is the pressure it's operating under at the moment. Obviously things are pretty grim Post-Covid, but the lack of adequate funding, the top-heavy ratio of admin to frontline workers, and the Post-Brexit exodus of trained staff, does not bode well for the future.

Parts of the Algarve are lovely and in general a bit cheaper than the UK. A friend of my wife’s and her husband retired to the hills near Villamoura and we have dropped in a couple of times whilst on holiday. They bought a dilapidated goat herders cottage and spent the next few years doing it up. He is very clever, practical too and one of his first jobs was designing/building bullet proof cars for VIPs including the Jag which took Hatcher to offer her resignation to the Queen and the Ford Grenada she came back in after Liz had accepted.

We've got one part of our retirement places, in the Cairngorms, with the plan being that when we sell our Edinburgh place we'll get a place in the Dordogne and split our time between the two.

I have friends planning to head for Bali and others looking at Portugal, Any suggestions for places you can retire to with nice climate and cheap cost of living, but still reasonable broadband?
sry...that just made me smile. 3 criteria apparently equal. Sun, money to spend and a good internet connection.

I lived in Sleights just outside Whitby for the winter. After a summer in the Lake District I scuttled back south and as far south as possible and stayed here!
Ya big southern wimp! That said, I would nt choose sleight s in winter and I was born round there. All that NE coast is beautiful, but it's uninhabitable Nov-jan. Inland is better. Get under the shoulder of the Pennines, you can avoid the rains from the west and the winds from Scandinavia.

Ya big southern wimp! That said, I would nt choose sleight s in winter and I was born round there. All that NE coast is beautiful, but it's uninhabitable Nov-jan. Inland is better. Get under the shoulder of the Pennines, you can avoid the rains from the west and the winds from Scandinavia.

When I lived in Whitby it was sometimes almost impossible to walk along the West Cliff, the wind could be extremely strong and could blow people off their feet. We got cut off for 3 days once in the winter too, snow ploughs couldn't clear the roads.

Cheers BB

We've got one part of our retirement places, in the Cairngorms, with the plan being that when we sell our Edinburgh place we'll get a place in the Dordogne and split our time between the two.

I've done something similar. The 90-day limit is a nuisance, but workable. Additional council taxes and utility bills you just have to grin and bear.
One thing I didn't consider at the time was climate extremes: close to Bergerac but in an area several degrees warmer on average, it's too hot for me at this time of year (mid-80s last week). And in the Autumn you can be sunbathing at noon after an early morning frost. With hindsight I'd add weather to the research.
And, as already highlighted, renting first before you buy is common sense.

advertisement

Back