advertisement

Retirement Destinations?

Rent for a year, or so, before you decide.

I've been in Portugal in the winter. 14 degrees outside (nice), no in door heating, meaning 14 degrees inside (NOT nice).
You can’t.
You can only stay in the EU for 90 days in any 180 days.

I can't imagine living permanently in retirement in a foreign country. When my wife retires, we will certainly look at spending some of the winter months in more temperate climes though.

Rent your house out here. Rent a house there. Make a bit of profit and catch some rays until you need the NHS.

I won't be as I can't imagine my wife stopping working until she's 80. She's lucky enough to be doing something she loves and is not a natural idler. Unlike me - on both counts.

I shall be retiring to leek, climate is iffy but we love it here and saves on the hassle of going abroad the. Coming back when we miss our family and familiar things as we age

will be cold in the winter though as can’t see how we can afford to heat our leaky Victorian draft box

We have a small hovel on a Greek island which we bought years ago before Brexit. Since retiring we spend a few month's there each year, off and on - or did pre covid - which suits us fine. I wouldn't want to live there permanently, it's bloody miserable in the winter.

A few years back we were chatting to an ex-pat who’d settled in Crete. He said ‘It’s great here most of the year, but the winters can be a bit harsh’. I asked him what he did during the winter and he said ‘I stay inside’.

That surprises me. I would have thought it would still be quite warm there during winter ? Is it just that it's 20deg C instead of scorchio ?

With Clinical Commissioning Groups, Hospitals run on sale and leaseback etc the NHS hasn't really been the NHS for quite a while, more a subscription scheme.

worked there for a while (3 or 4 stints of 4 months over the years) - weather not entirely pleasant. Maybe one would acclimatise. It is very expat though......
Why we have air conditioning.
I would not call Penang very expat, I used to go there regularly when my wifes parents were alive
As a guide, a decent condo rental and electricity will cost you around £500 per month

advertisement

Back