advertisement

Octopus Energy Users. Ever won on the "Wheel of Fortune"?

wulbert

pfm Member
When I submit my monthly meter readings to Octopus Energy I get a chance to win cash on the "Wheel of Fortune". After 5 years or more, two readings/spins per month, I have landed on £0.00 every single time. I'm starting to wonder if it is rigged.

Anyone else had better luck than me?

EDIT: Looking more closely, the wheel has 12 segments. It looks like 5 of them are set to £0 and their positions are variable for each spin. Not sure what that means statistically? (but I would have expected a win by now, playing 24 times/year, for 5 years)

I’ve been with Octopus for around five years and won £1 once. It is of course ‘rigged’ in so far as the chance of winning £512 doesn’t correspond to the relative space taken up by that segment on the wheel. In other words it isn’t a roulette wheel, but a graphic attached to (I’m guessing) some kind of heavily weighted random number generator.

However, in my first year with Octopus I got enough referral bonuses to give me free electricity for the period, so no complaints.

Never won anything from them and we have had a ton of hassle dealing with them - they've been the worst public utilities company we have ever had the misfortune to buy from.

I would be very wary of any company that thinks it needs some sort of gimmick like gambling to attract or retain customers.

To be fair to them their app is now superb if you have a dohicky. It shows me how much electricity and gas I am pissing away by hour, day, week or month.

Been with them since it started not won yet.
Their customer relations are superb. The app is brilliant.
I have had hundreds of pounds credited through referring friends and family.
If I get too far ahead in credit it’s in my account within a few days of requesting it.

In 19 months, a £1 prize; on the first spin, I think. Absolutely nothing adverse to say about how this company operates its meter reading/statement system or access by phone/email when necessary. Reading one day, full charges/costs within 24 hours; so easy to keep an accurate record.

two readings/spins per month,

How come 2 readings a month? Monthly is the most frequent submission period of any company I've been with, so not sure why a bi-monthly reading would be needed or wanted.

Never won anything from them and we have had a ton of hassle dealing with them - they've been the worst public utilities company we have ever had the misfortune to buy from.

No, in my estimation that would be Scottish Power, and by a long chalk.

We are not and never have been customers, yet they repeatedly bill us erroneously and have even appointed a debt collecting agency.
The ombudsman has intervened and notified SP several times now, the debt collectors are aware of the issue and have stood down, an engineer called out to inspect even located the meter in a separately owner occupied building - they have our meter details which do not correspond with the one on the alleged account and yet the bill (now close to £5,000 by their reckoning) continues to be sent to us.

Looks as if we will be going down the legal route.

To be fair to them their app is now superb if you have a dohicky. It shows me how much electricity and gas I am pissing away by hour, day, week or month.

..and you can download your usage by the half-hour to Excel for hours of fun…

2.5 years and nothing either

I think it is probably time they drop it, but it is pretty harmless

advertisement

Back