advertisement

Retirement Destinations?

david ellwood

Kirabosi Kognoscente
I have friends planning to head for Bali and others looking at Portugal, Any suggestions for places you can retire to with nice climate and cheap cost of living, but still reasonable broadband?

we have spent alot of time in both Bali and an Portugal. I am not sure i would choose either. In Portugal we experience Tavira which appears to be a "retirement" expat enclave.

Hastings, Margate, Rye, Southwold......

Be it Spain or Portugal, good luck with the other expats complaining all the time.

All expats will tell you how happy they are down there. Well it's fairly obvious, they certainly won't tell you that they've made a huge mistake and were complete morons when they took the decision to emigrate.

Also, going there is one thing, coming back is another thing, especially if you have sold your house etc.

Portugal is one of the few places where they seem to like Brits. So doesn't need to be in an expat enclave in the south.
Malta.
Malaysia.

How are you going to retire in the EU when you can’t access health care?
You are required to have private health provision.

If it weren't for healthcare i'd go to the Caribbean with enough insurance for hurricane damage and a UK bolthole for that couple of months.

Probably St Kitts or Guadeloupe.

Quite happy with one big room if it's big enough for the stereo.

Not sure i could stay sane without a lot to do though, yet?

South of France with grandkids would be good in theory but don't want to become their liability.

It’s probably worth another thread but I seriously struggle to access healthcare in the UK.

And when I get to the age that I need some kind of support I’d rather be in a country where it’s affordable.

Rent for a year, or so, before you decide.

I've been in Portugal in the winter. 14 degrees outside (nice), no in door heating, meaning 14 degrees inside (NOT nice).

A lot of the houses seem to be built for holiday use. Open fires mostly for decoration and you can see through the doorway in the gaps by the frame.

I have friends planning to head for Bali and others looking at Portugal, Any suggestions for places you can retire to with nice climate and cheap cost of living, but still reasonable broadband?
Leaving aside the obvious EU places, and staying a few hours flight from the UK: North Africa, especially Morocco or Tunisia, at a pinch Egypt. I hear the broadband there is much improved. It can get a bit hot in summer, but not too bad if you stay close to the Med.

It’s probably worth another thread but I seriously struggle to access healthcare in the UK.

And when I get to the age that I need some kind of support I’d rather be in a country where it’s affordable.
Move 20 miles west. Healthcare in Leeds is generally very accessible.

I’d rather be in a country where it’s affordable.

I'm not sure that NHS quality healthcare is "affordable" anywhere, unless you have significant means, in which case stay in the UK and pay private when you want to jump the queue.

When I retire I don't want to ditch all of the friends and hobbies I've spent decades cultivating. That said growing old in the US is financially perilous due to the awful healthcare scam here.

advertisement

Back