Will You Consider Buying Made In China Gear

• Yes

Votes: 49 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 40 32.3%
  • An Owner Already

Votes: 45 36.3%

• Total voters
I'm really not interested in this thread turning into political. Having said that, I looked at the link and there are no names on the people running the site.

Someone just sent me this yesterday. No comments from me but have a look.

Schiller Institute is pretty dodgy, and would anyone with an even slightly nuanced view of geopolitics use expressions like "take over the entire world?".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiller_Institute

I don't have much high value kit as I buy used or DIY. But no way in reality I cant boycott China as EVERY single item in my house will have some Chinese made components in it

for the vehemently opposed tae Chinese goods - won't have them in the house - at any cost. Ah can only say..."Does yer wife/partner wear shoes? ":eek::cool:

for the vehemently opposed tae Chinese goods - won't have them in the house - at any cost. Ah can only say..."Does yer wife/partner wear shoes? ":eek::cool:

I take your point, but there's a difference between 'majority of' and 'all.' It can be done.

Last two pairs of shoes I bought were from Paraboot (made in France) and Astorflex (made in Italy).

Sad fact is Thatcher (& Tony Blairs) & Reagans low regulation free market mantras & there systematic destruction of there own manufacturing bases enabled the rise of China as the world's manufacturing hub.

TS

I think the rot had set in well before Thatcher et. al.
As a kid in the 50s I remember the chatter about 'how can we hope to compete with workers who only need a bowl of rice a day ...' etc.

Out-sourcing and the sale of 'redundant' manufacturing machinery to allegedly '3rd world countries' was already well under way.

A year or so ago there was a TV article about a massive jute weaving plant in India - loads of exports for packaging material. They were still using the looms bought from UK sell offs way back then.

If it is agreed that we need to sanction Russia for their actions, then should we not also sanction China for theirs?

Torture, mass detention, et al. Read the below as a starting point and then think carefully whether you really need that hifi component made in China.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/location/asia-and-the-pacific/east-asia/china/report-china/
Should we sanction the US for death penalty, weapons laws, Guantanamo and installing puppet regimes in foreign countries?

Should we sanction the US for death penalty, weapons laws, Guantanamo and installing puppet regimes in foreign countries?

I guess that depends on whether you agree or disagree with the death penalty, weapons laws, etc

I take your point, but there's a difference between 'majority of' and 'all.' It can be done.

Last two pairs of shoes I bought were from Paraboot (made in France) and Astorflex (made in Italy).

Ah didnae make a distinction between "majority of" and "all". If yer wife/partner wears women's shoes then 89.4% of those shoes sold in the UK/Europe are made in ....YON PLACE...o_O.

Also, in a large percentage of cases, the arcanely named paraboots should be described,technically, as "assembled in France". Now, where do some of the materials come from ? EEEK!

AAlso, in a large percentage of cases, the arcanely named paraboots should be described,technically, as "assembled in France". Now, where do some of the materials come from ? EEEK!

I think you'd potentially create an international incident on that score. Why not roll up at the factory gates some time and explain your theory? I'm sure they'd be delighted to discuss it with you. Tell them you're a Liverpool fan for good measure.

I suspect many people posting in this thread will be doing so on electronic equipment that was partially or completely made in China.
I have little idea how much of the Dell laptop I am typing this on was made in China.
Whilst much of the amp and streamer on which I am listening to R6 as I type is designed and built by a British manufacturer, I do know that many of the components and some sub-assemblies are manufactured there. We live in a world where products are made from components sourced from around the world and hi-fi is no different. My German-designed car was manufactured or is it assembled mostly in Germany I believe, the engine is from Japan and I expect a lot of the electronics are from China or other Far Eastern countries. As an end-user/purchaser we would have to do an inordinate amount of research to determine where every component is manufactured.

I have no issue with the quality of Chinese-manufactured e-goods. We're eyeing up a Tesla for our next car. In our part of the world, Tesla is manufactured mostly in China. I suppose I could incur the expense of shipping a US-made one, but I don't fancy having the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car.

I have no issue with the quality of Chinese-manufactured e-goods. We're eyeing up a Tesla for our next car. In our part of the world, Tesla is manufactured mostly in China. I suppose I could incur the expense of shipping a US-made one, but I don't fancy having the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car.

We really have two completely different themes going on here. Nobody's (well, maybe a few) griping about the perceived quality, or lack of, re Chinese-manufactured products, whether the company is Chinese-owned or not. The bigger issue, for some, clearly not all, is kind of China PLC and its 'board of directors.' To which end I also prefer to also avoid Chinese ownership regardless of where companies are registered or goods manufactured.

Perhaps if you mentally substitute 'Russia' or 'Saudi Arabia' one would be thinking along the right lines. Purely hypothetically of course. Thank goodness it's not a football forum, huh?

Anyway, as ever, no-one on an Internet forum, me included, is ever going to change their mind on anything. So, time to butt out and pour another nice glass of Shengzou Burgundy.

BTW, I'm not a motorist, but from what I know of Tesla quality control from a couple of owners, which side the steering wheel's on (or whether it's actually connected to anything) contains a substantial element of pot luck regardless of where they're made.

Dredging up historical actions does not excuse the abuse we see in China today. Next excuse..."Well, the Nazis had concentration camps, so......"

How about returning the stolen artifacts from the museum before talking about boycotting

advertisement

Back