Will You Consider Buying Made In China Gear

• Yes

Votes: 49 39.5%
  • No

Votes: 40 32.3%
  • An Owner Already

Votes: 45 36.3%

• Total voters
No, I wouldn't spend £2k + on a piece of audio equipment made in China. At that price level I could buy a CD player, record player, amp or speakers, etc , that is designed and manufactured in the UK, Japan or Europe.
Though I accept that some of these companies may use electronic components that are made in China.

I own Opera Consonance 12" concentric speakers with drivers reportedly sourced from the UK for a slight twist on a theme. Believe they sell new for more than the stated threshold but that is part of the issue as is it depends on the source as to the MSRP. I purchased mine used at about 1/4 of list price and have had them for 2 years. Quality and sonics they readily keep pace with European based speakers I have on hand that list for over $4K CND. The issue is I now want to sell them and can't seem to give them away. I just moved on a pair of LS50's prior to that market cratering when they were suddenly offered up for new at about half their original list price.

I also own a WTL Simplex which is manufactured in China by Opera Consonance as well. Prior to the issue with Chinese manufactured goods Opera Consonance products were held in high regard with numerous glowing reviews from British and NA publications. I believe most of their tube amplifiers mimic circuits from days of yore but that is hardly a crime since I'd like to believe most tube designers chose their calling after hearing a classic tube design.

Currently I would not purchase anything manufactured in China regardless of label on the masthead based on my experience with resale. I don't buy to flip and always believe at time of purchase the piece will be with me forever but if past behavior is best indicator of future that is not going to happen. I fully expect at some point in the future this will change and a number of Chinese audio products will be much sought after.

A further related issue for me is the inability of China to police their own markets. I had seriously considered a highly regarded SE 845 tube based integrated but after contacting the then CND distributor I was less than reassured that the unit I would be paying so dearly for reportedly sold exclusively in North American market was indeed all that different than the one being sold on a well-known Chinese website for less than half together with free shipping so I walked away. The Chinese government laissez faire attitude is largely wetting their own nest and has no doubt affected those manufacturer's in China working hard to build their reputation and produce a quality world-class product.

If your decision not to buy Chinese built gear is as you say personal & not political can I ask what those personal reasons are?

The perception of lower or inferior quality and reliability. China have a history of building products that cater to the mass market, usually cheap. Hence, I'm not exactly comfortable in this respect when it comes to hifi or high end audio.

It's actually a REL S/510. I realised the RELs which include the top of the range No. 25 are all manufactured in China just recently.

No I don't and no I wouldn't.

I go to great lengths to avoid the output of China PLC where there's any kind of pride of ownership involved.

For me, that primarily means hifi and clothing.

Apple products, alas, are the conspicuous exception. Days of assembly in Ireland are long gone.

I think I'm correct in saying the current Mac Pro is built in the US (doubtless with lots of Chinese components), but I neither need nor can afford one of those.

Thankfully neither the French or Italians are outsourcing wine production to China, if that ever happens I'm really totally screwed. It would be enough to drive me to drink, in fact.

I'm boycotting goods made in China due to the concentration camps where they imprison Uyghurs, for the crime of being Muslim. And so should you.

Yes in principal. But it would have to be a mass boycott to have any effect whatsoever. And that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

No I don't and no I wouldn't.

I go to great lengths to avoid the output of China PLC where there's any kind of pride of ownership involved.

For me, that primarily means hifi and clothing.

Apple products, alas, are the conspicuous exception. Days of assembly in Ireland are long gone.

I think I'm correct in saying the current Mac Pro is built in the US (doubtless with lots of Chinese components), but I neither need nor can afford one of those.

Thankfully neither the French or Italians are outsourcing wine production to China, if that ever happens I'm really totally screwed. It would be enough to drive me to drink, in fact.
It's ok, we have Chile for red and New Zealand for white..who cares about French and Italian?

My rant against Thatcher & Reagan may be a little simplistic but I think it is important to point out that the WTO is driven by Thatcherite & Reaganite light touch free market ideology which has contributed to the destruction of our planet, erosion of workers rights & the increasing wealth gap between the richest & poorest.
TS

Sorry but you are wrong. WTO is probably more responsible for improving the working conditions in developing countries whilst at the same time providing the west with value for money goods than any other organisation. Membership of WTO was expected of any country within the EU because of the way it slowly but surely levelled up wealth throughout the world. It was not totally in line with Reagan / Thatcher economics as you suggest because every contract necessitated the Buyer issuing an award criteria which place a transparent scale of workers rights. Also the contract price had to be published so companies could rearrange the next tender for similar goods.

If we scrapped WTO - world trade would become an undisciplined free for all with all of the problem that would entail. Just be very careful for what you wish.

On my point about the WTOs Thatcherite & Reaganite light touch regulation ideology no I am not wrong.
Whilst I agree in that globalisation & international trade has improved the lives of many, far to often it has led to a race to the bottom when it comes to workers rights & environmental protections.
TS

I haven't read this whole thread, however, this documentary, entitled 'China Blue', from back in 2007 was a real eye opener for me. Its focus is primarily upon the impact of globalization on the people on the source side of supply chains that are wholly driven by corporate greed.

I haven't read this whole thread, however, this documentary, entitled 'China Blue', from back in 2007 was a real eye opener for me. Its focus is primarily upon the impact of globalization on the people on the source side of supply chains that are wholly driven by corporate greed.

Similarly an eye opener for me. Thanks. Video is too long though as I only managed to spend about 17 minutes watching it.

That's inadequate sleep time for the workers.

Screenshot-20220531-085235-org-mozilla-firefox-edit-563639191512953.jpg

Screenshot-20220531-085243-org-mozilla-firefox-edit-563600597091605.jpg

If it is agreed that we need to sanction Russia for their actions, then should we not also sanction China for theirs?

Torture, mass detention, et al. Read the below as a starting point and then think carefully whether you really need that hifi component made in China.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/location/asia-and-the-pacific/east-asia/china/report-china/

How about the British selling opium to China, Hong Kong and the other colonies? Single handedly got millions addicted while profiting from it.

Everyone is the hero in their own eyes.

Currently, considered the best new high quality condenser mic on the market, the Lewitt LC1040 at 3 grand, is made in China in a purpose built factory. As pointed out before, dozens of boutique, ie expensive, guitar pedal manufactures rely on Behringer's Chinese facility for components, that currently only they make, that are specific to the guitar pedal market.

Any one who thinks they can avoid/boycott Chinese made goods today is smoking dope. Even if the goods are not marked 'made in China', you can bet that they will contain a few to many components manufactured in China.

In any case, China is a big complex country. We may not be happy about its political leadership or system but it's foolish to generalize about it.

I avoid all food assembled in China.
Very wise...I avoid salt and now i evade snacking..eating a lot more vegetarian food, I'm sure my hifi sounds better for it!
On a more serious note, my chronic reflux has very much reduced by my change in eating habits..

Any one who thinks they can avoid/boycott Chinese made goods today is smoking dope. Even if the goods are not marked 'made in China', you can bet that they will contain a few to many components manufactured in China.

In any case, China is a big complex country. We may not be happy about its political leadership or system but it's foolish to generalize about it.
I don't smoke...lol

How about the British selling opium to China, Hong Kong and the other colonies? Single handedly got millions addicted while profiting from it.

Everyone is the hero in their own eyes.

Dredging up historical actions does not excuse the abuse we see in China today. Next excuse..."Well, the Nazis had concentration camps, so......"

advertisement

Back