advertisement

Munich show 2022

I did think this room sounded better than I expected I know nothing about KHARMA and seriously dislike the speakers looking like Darth Vaders ear rings with side handles. But the room did sound pretty good. For me the Alsyvox room was notably better

I appeciate not having to put in the leg or travel time.
The highlights for me were:-
1) The DS Audio eccentricity correction, although not completly clear , I do think you had to enlarge the centre hole of the record.
2) The prototype Wilson-Benesch turntable which the demonstrator claimed that we (the British Taxpayer) had subsidised, lots of tech I hope it sounds good.
3) Talking to the Technics people about their turntables and Technics wanting to push their digital amp, which Fremer hinted was a bit nonsensical , they obviously didn't realise his website is called "Analog Planet".

There was very little that stood out for me as I have no real interest in the oligarch/F1 driver-grade stuff as anyone can build something half decent with an unlimited budget. As such I kind of skim-watched it in the background.

One thing that did pique my interest was Thorens using a magnetic knife-edge vertical bearing in one of their tonearms. That makes a lot of sense to me. Knife edge bearings logically make a lot of sense to the extent I don’t understand why anyone would use a gimbal/ball-race on a vertical bearing, so nice to see their return (though IIRC Origin Live have used something similar for a while). This area of the market interests me far more as you need proper design and engineering here, you can’t just throw money and mass at something and hope for results. It actually involves intelligent thought.

Nice to see a quick shot of the limited colour Technics SL-1200s at the end too (I have a yellow one on pre-order as a spare/hopeful investment!).

The SU-R1000 phono stage as a standalone unit would be interesting. Sounds like Technics is contemplating that.

There was very little that stood out for me as I have no real interest in the oligarch/F1 driver-grade stuff as anyone can build something half decent with an unlimited budget. As such I kind of skim-watched it in the background.

I suspect the new Devore Fidelity O/baby are a bit nice - it's hard to see the value on this side of the pond though.

https://devorefidelity.com/devore-fidelity-speakers/orangutan-series/o-baby-speakers/

devore-o-baby3-768x917.jpg

I suspect the new Devore Fidelity O/baby are a bit nice - it's had to see the value on this side of the pond though.

Yes, I bet they are great. I’d love to hear the O96 too. The Fremer video only deals with record decks and related, so quite tightly focused.

1) The DS Audio eccentricity correction, although not completly clear , I do think you had to enlarge the centre hole of the record.

You do, or have to have a slightly under-sized spindle. If the record is a snug fit there’s nowhere for it to move.

As an aside, despite owning both Nakamichi decks that do it for you, I do fancy one of these!

The new MoFi phono amp looks very interesting. Lots of optionality including ability to take current or voltage inputs (not sure how these work) in addition to regular RCA inputs and also ability to optimise cartridge set up such as azimuth etc. Not inexpensive at $5,000 but not outrageously priced either, given its capability. For an audiophile record company, MoFi seems to be putting out some interesting products under their brand, designed by well-regarded third party designers.

This is the next big thing, if not already there - dynamic handling of horns married with transparency of ribbons/panels.s s

Sounds exciting, though I purchased a pair of Beyma TL-150H many years ago and never got myself to do something out of them. Blimey!

Did you know Alsyvox before or this was your first encounter?

I have been keeping my eye on Alsyvox for several years now but the prices are high. The starter model is £75,000 and the ones being used at the show were nearly £300,000...

Yes, I bet they are great. I’d love to hear the O96 too. The Fremer video only deals with record decks and related, so quite tightly focused.

Having distributed DeVore in the UK from 2014 to 2021, I was very disappointed in the lack of interest in these speakers, despite a number of US reviewers using them for reviewing. The 0/96 being one of the very best box speaker designs I have come across, despite their modest size compared to the likes of other high end brands like Wilsons, Avalon etc.

Having distributed DeVore in the UK from 2014 to 2021, I was very disappointed in the lack of interest in these speakers, despite a number of US reviewers using them for reviewing. The 0/96 being one of the very best box speaker designs I have come across, despite their modest size compared to the likes of other high end brands like Wilsons, Avalon etc.

Judging from who likes them, the reviews etc they seem to appeal to folk like me who mainly live in the classic audio field. As such I’d argue they weren’t competing with modern bling-fi like Wilson, Focal, Avalon etc at all, more against proper vintage Altecs, Tannoys, Klipsch, JBL etc etc. They aren’t cheap, you could buy a very tidy pair of VOTT or Tannoy Reds for that sort of money, and I suspect many do. I really don’t see them as an alternative to the usual modern stuff, which I have to admit doesn’t interest me at all. I like John Devore (I follow his YouTube channel), he seems like a really decent guy, but he exists in a very niche market competing with the real audio classics to my mind.

I dunno if Micro Seiki still exists or anyone claims its rights, but Project deserves to be properly skinned for this plagiarism.

Not as far as I know, but I have a vague recollection the chap behind TechDas was a senior engineer/designer at Micro Seiki back in the day, so at least the knowledge hasn't been lost.

Mind you, Micro Seiki built an awful lot of turntables for other companies, they may still be doing that under the radar.

I was very disappointed with them. Really nothing to recommend. It might have been the room/set up etc.

The spiritual successor to Peter Snell? They do seem to be refreshingly free of bling in the context of the typical US high end offerings.

I confess I can never see big Wilsons or a D'Agostino amp without thinking 'somebody needs a good slap.'

The new MoFi phono amp looks very interesting. Lots of optionality including ability to take current or voltage inputs (not sure how these work) in addition to regular RCA inputs and also ability to optimise cartridge set up such as azimuth etc. Not inexpensive at $5,000 but not outrageously priced either, given its capability. For an audiophile record company, MoFi seems to be putting out some interesting products under their brand, designed by well-regarded third party designers.

You forgot the most important feature - VU Meters!

advertisement

Back