advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

Nothing to see at CPAC in Hungary, just normal fascists doing normal fascist things (Guardian).

Trump is calling for civil war on his ‘Truth Social’ echo chamber again (Twitter). Just another normal day.

Scary article about Christian/Republican fascism gaining a hold in Idaho too (Huffington Post). There’s a lot of it about.

I don’t have time to respond fully, and i only scanned the HuffPo article, but as a resident of Idaho, a few comments…The gist of the article is correct, but the fascists achieved at best a split decision against the main stream republicans in last Tuesday’s primaries. McGeachin lost badly in the Governor’s race to Brad Liitle. Little is your typical awful right wing governor, but he handled the pandemic reasonably well, shutting down the state in early March 2019, and didn’t give in to right wing pressure to open it prematurely. The Hayden Lake survivalists were batshit crazy, but tended to withdrawal from civilization. Their demise was quite poetic. They got sued into bankruptcy, and had their property foreclosed on. The local fire departments torched their compound, and used the fires they set as training for newbie fire fighters to put out. Let’s hope history repeats.

PS. Tara Westover’s excellent book Educate examines life growing up as the daughter of a Northern Idaho survivalist.

• Jesus
  • Guns
  • Babies
Oh, and firing squads (Twitter).

WTAF is happening to America?
The Constitution says nothing of the sort:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

(Art.3)

As Paul Krugman put it some years ago,"One of our political parties has lost its mind". It would appear that the Republican Party in its present guise is seeking to prove that, not only is evolution true, but also that it can work in reverse.

It seems to me that the USA goes through these periodic bouts of craziness, but so far it has always recovered. However, this bout seems to be the worst since That Other Bout in the 1850s, which led to the Civil War/War for Southern Independence, depending on whose side you were on. I hope it doesn't try to outdo that one.

I am now firmly of the view that the Republican Party is a far-right/fascist/terrorist organisation.

I’m not sure exactly how far the UK Conservative Party is behind them, but it is certainly time to be very concerned about the future and to act to preserve an accountable liberal democracy in any way we possibly can including mass action/civil unrest. The alarm bells are now deafeningly loud. This trajectory is not unfamiliar, it is documented in every history of 20th century Europe.

Has anyone recommended the return of the auto-da-fé yet? Or is that only because of a lack of historical knowledge?

I am now firmly of the view that the Republican Party is a far-right/fascist/terrorist organisation.

I’m not sure exactly how far the UK Conservative Party is behind them, but it is certainly time to be very concerned about the future and to act to preserve an accountable liberal democracy in any way we possibly can including mass action/civil unrest. The alarm bells are now deafeningly loud. This trajectory is not unfamiliar, it is documented in every history of 20th century Europe.

Yet another mass shooting, at a school in Texas this time. 15 dead. No idea if it was far-right/incel or not yet (BBC).

Yet another mass shooting, at a school in Texas this time. 15 dead. No idea if it was far-right/incel or not yet (BBC).

I don't remember where I heard it said, but it's a sad truth.
When Sandy Hook did not result in any change to US gun laws it became apparent that the murder of elementary age school children was acceptable collateral damage for the US gun lobby, and that there is absolutely no chance of any reasonable gun control laws being enacted in the US.
#minorityrule

14 children and 1 teacher dead, but it won’t change the GOP. They will never support any restrictions on gun ownership.

At this point, I’m not sure it even matters. There are way more guns than people in the US, and the pathetic truth is that many here think that is ok.

If I hear the GOP deliver yet another morally bankrupt “thoughts and prayers” message, I think I’m going to f*cking explode.

I don't remember where I heard it said, but it's a sad truth.
When Sandy Hook did not result in any change to US gun laws it became apparent that the murder of elementary age school children was acceptable collateral damage for the US gun lobby, and that there is absolutely no chance of any reasonable gun control laws being enacted in the US.
#minorityrule

I've heard right-wingers say "it's the price of freedom". Out loud, in public.

The death toll is up to nineteen children and two adults now. I do not know if the dead shooter is included in those stats.

14 children and 1 teacher dead, but it won’t change the GOP. They will never support any restrictions on gun ownership.

At this point, I’m not sure it even matters. There are way more guns than people in the US, and the pathetic truth is that many here think that is ok.

If I hear the GOP deliver yet another morally bankrupt “thoughts and prayers” message, I think I’m going to f*cking explode.

Ted Cruse's spoutings shown on the BBC this morning was so stratospherically moronic it made me gasp. Apparently, we know that gun control doesn't work...What the f*ck is wrong with these people?

Superb rant here from Steve Kerr, who I’ve never heard of as I don’t have any concept of sport, but he’s something to do with basketball and he absolutely nails this (Twitter).

Dr Caroline Orr Bueno, who I’ve linked to several times upthread, on some disturbing social media reaction here including countless fake accounts etc (Twitter).

Even more disturbing is some in the far-right are now trying to present the shooter as a ‘trans activist’ as someone on 4chan managed to dig up some pictures of a random trans woman with very vaguely similar features who has absolutely zero connection to the shooter. I won’t link to this (and no one else should too) as it is the framing by fascists of a totally innocent and likely highly vulnerable person for reasons of pure bigotry and hatred. It has already got as far as fairly high profile Republican/MAGA types retweeting it. Just sickening.

advertisement

Back