advertisement

Ouch

That Beckie is an expensive lady. I’d be shopping around:D

My first memory of the cost of fuel was my brother filling his first car (HA Viva) at £0.30 per gallon. It was around 1970 I think!

1968, my first vehicle - Morris 1000 van 4 gallon fill up - change out of a pound (Jet garage in Bletchley 4/11 a gallon 3 star) Twice a week.

Mind you my spendable pay was just about £5.00 a week.......

PS I`ve heard that Beckie is absolutely worth it....

It's surprising how often the engine runs on two cylinders only.

I’ve had cars do this, although not by design!

Do you notice any difference in economy with the super? The fuel price is what it is. Judging by the volume and speed of traffic, it’s affordable! Before long, EV’s will be a similar cost per mile, whether that’s down to electricity, taxation or both (IMHO).

I’ve had cars do this, although not by design!

Do you notice any difference in economy with the super? The fuel price is what it is. Judging by the volume and speed of traffic, it’s affordable! Before long, EV’s will be a similar cost per mile, whether that’s down to electricity, taxation or both (IMHO).
It’s difficult to tell exactly, and as it’s a new engine its characteristics are still changing, but it appears to give 2mpg more with Esso’s super unleaded (E5 but zero ethanol). The engine is definitely a little livelier. The extra mpg is far from covering the extra cost, but I prefer it.

If I need to fill up, I have to use Pay at Kiosk now. The pumps are still limited to 99 quid.
Same. My car's pretty economical for what it is but it has a large tank (68 litres) so it'd be £122 to fill it from empty with 95RON.

My first memory of petrol prices was when it was 35p a gallon, don't know when but was about early 70s

I do remember filling the tank of a mark 3 Cortina in about 1984, £18.00 for 12 gallons, and I thought that was dear.

Last time I filled up it was £65.00. For me good for about 450 miles.

When I was working an average year was about 18,000 miles. Last year, 2300 miles!
Andy

My first car: 1982, 91bhp Triumph Dolomite 1850: 28-30mpg, 4 star £1.50 per gallon.

Now: 150bhp Passat, 46-50mpg, regular unleaded £7.50 per gallon.

Over the course of 40 years, bearing in mind that as a young Junior Technician in the RAF I took home £360 per month after tax, NI, food and accommodation, today’s fuel isn’t quite sooooo badly priced, it’s just the shock of the increases.

Dinky toy, the way tings are going?

:D I suppose it is, really. I've been able to enjoy 2.5- 3.5L (old BMW 5 and 7 Series respectively) in my twenties as well as a lovely R40 Rover 75 2.0V6.

As the nature of my work changed, these were no longer viable, so I opted for a smaller car- an Audi A2 1.4TDI- which has been incredibly reliable over eight years and over 120,000 miles.

I am glad to have experienced the sounds and the 'feel' of bigger cars when I did and seeing them these days brings back a lot of memories.

:cool:

:D I suppose it is, really. I've been able to enjoy 2.5- 3.5L (old BMW 5 and 7 Series respectively) in my twenties as well as a lovely R40 Rover 75 2.0V6.

As the nature of my work changed, these were no longer viable, so I opted for a smaller car- an Audi A2 1.4TDI- which has been incredibly reliable over eight years and over 120,000 miles.

I am glad to have experienced the sounds and the 'feel' of bigger cars when I did and seeing them these days brings back a lot of memories.

:cool:
I've just sold my A2, and after 16 years, and 137,000 miles, I have totted up the bills. I've spent £19,000 on maintenance (including consumables like tyres and brakes). I haven't kept all my fuel receipts, but it was around 200 gallons annually, at probably around £5-5.50/gallon average (say an average £1.10-1.20/litre). So my running costs were slightly more, per mile, for maintenance than fuel. I'd not say my A2 was a paragon of reliability, but neither was it a money pit.

I've replaced it with a Volvo, which is averaging around 125% of the fuel burn, per mile, but the brand is generally regarded as very reliable, so it'll be interesting to see how the running costs stack up. But it did make me think that obsessing over fuel costs isn't necessarily giving a realistic picture.

I just bought an F10 BMW 530d (I can't afford a proper mid-life crisis car :() and although I'm just squeaking 45 mpg on a run and 40-ish overall, even with fuel cost rises, it's still not the same as £300 pcm on finance.

Back when gas was about 50 cents a gallon.
7 mpg was about the best it could do on a run.
Like from East Coast to West.

advertisement

Back