advertisement

Ouch

I get a ten-cent/gallon discount for scanning my grocery loyalty card, and another five cents off for putting it on the Shell card.

I seem to recall 50p a gallon in the summer of 1977 when I had a 125cc bike, and a supermarket selling at 20p a litre in 1990

Jeysus. £1.90/litre for unleaded. I remember as a kid when 4-star went from 33p/gallon to 50p/gallon over-night. Think that was '73. I was 8 at the time...

Last time I filled up the family wagon it was £150.. I too fill it halfway now. The problem is the bottom of the tank is flat and it narrows at the top, so what is half the money, fills up about 1/3 of the tank.

Sucks.
Bear in mind also that the fuel gauge is generally a moving iron type so does not read in a linear fashion. Modern ones of course may differ.

My old Ducati 350 which I tuned for torque and economy used to get from Truro to Folkestone on one tankful which was just under three and a half gallons. My Picasso does 54mpg but I don’t have to dress up.
I must admit to a little chuckle seeing Chelsea Tractors lining up for their maximum £30 recently and wondering whether it was enough to get them home. I’m a spiteful and envious sort:)

Its a bit steep, but i reckon electric is probably going up in price quicker!

That would do me two tanks worth and just nicely over 1k miles without having to drive too carefully. The joys of a sheddy old hybrid (actually joy singular, its the only redeeming feature of it)!

Took our boat out on the weekend. No parking problems at the slipway which is unusual for the time of year.

My old Ducati 350 which I tuned for torque and economy used to get from Truro to Folkestone on one tankful which was just under three and a half gallons.
Great bike, mine used to eat rear bulbs but was economical in other ways.

When I had my first bike, petrol was just under 7 pence a litre. Looking on the bright side, higher fuel prices helps with congestion as it tends to keep people off the road.

A 2022 1.5 litre, turbocharged petrol, Passat Estate. I’ve done a few longish journeys of 50mph each way.
That's impressive for a big car burning petrol. My Audi will do 45-48 mpg from diesel on a longish run, but it's 4WD and 3 litres, so it's never going to be as good as the 2L 4 pot diesels on economy.

Great bike, mine used to eat rear bulbs but was economical in other ways.

When I had my first bike, petrol was just under 7 pence a litre. Looking on the bright side, higher fuel prices helps with congestion as it tends to keep people off the road.

Should have had the same problem but didn’t. Always converted to 12v electrics, threw the original loom away and wired each circuit separately to the battery. Had many models including the 250 and 450 Desmo but my favourite was the humble Sebring. That small valve head was a delight once gas-flowed.

That's impressive for a big car burning petrol. My Audi will do 45-48 mpg from diesel on a longish run, but it's 4WD and 3 litres, so it's never going to be as good as the 2L 4 pot diesels on economy.
It's surprising how often the engine runs on two cylinders only. The dash tells me when this is happening, and in normal driving, whenever I'm using the throttle lightly, it's on 2 cylinders. I switch stop/start off every time, so I suppose I could eke out a fraction more there. Also, the way it drives would be familiar to a diesel driver. Left to its own devices, the engine spends a lot of time in the 1,500 to 2,000rpm range. Ok, it doesn't have the silly oomph of my old diesel Merc, but it revs higher, so it's perfectly ok really.

A huge part of the cost to the motorist at the pump is of course tax - fuel duty ar 59p a litre and 20% VAT - so about half goes to the government which could in theory be reduced or removed completely.

advertisement

Back